The Student Room Group

Starting working out at home :)

Hey Everyone.

I have decided I'm going to start working out at home, as I just want to work on myself this year to improve my health, diet and confidence. Its for me, nobody else :smile: I should probs note, Im not fat, just fed up of skinny arms!

I have a dumbell & barbell set and ab roller, and have the space as well. Plus my nearest gym is like £50 a month which I cant quite afford at the moment. :/

I plan to start on Monday, then workout 3 times a week. I havent started yet as I wanted to get in the routine of eating better and the right healthy food to build muscle etc, as thats half of it right?

I have looked at exercises online etc, but always seem to get different advice of how many reps and sets to do? So would the 'standard' 3 sets of 8-12 reps be a good starting point?

Also, I have heard some Fitness people say stay away from Cardio and some say dont stay away from it completely, if you want to build muscle? I know that to build muscle you have to gain weight but just mixed messages are confusing :lol:

All help is much appreciated
Original post by Jack22031994
Hey Everyone.

I have decided I'm going to start working out at home, as I just want to work on myself this year to improve my health, diet and confidence. Its for me, nobody else :smile: I should probs note, Im not fat, just fed up of skinny arms!

I have a dumbell & barbell set and ab roller, and have the space as well. Plus my nearest gym is like £50 a month which I cant quite afford at the moment. :/

I plan to start on Monday, then workout 3 times a week. I havent started yet as I wanted to get in the routine of eating better and the right healthy food to build muscle etc, as thats half of it right?

I have looked at exercises online etc, but always seem to get different advice of how many reps and sets to do? So would the 'standard' 3 sets of 8-12 reps be a good starting point?

Also, I have heard some Fitness people say stay away from Cardio and some say dont stay away from it completely, if you want to build muscle? I know that to build muscle you have to gain weight but just mixed messages are confusing :lol:

How much weight do you have available?

The problem you will have in the fullness of time is that your strength will outpace your ability to reasonably purchase equipment. You also ideally need to build some sort of progression into your workouts - that can be increases in volume, weight or both. You can start with 3 x 8 of each exercise with a weight which feels challenging but not punishing and then if you complete all three workouts without failing, change to 3 x 9 the next week and so on until 3 x 12 and then increase the weight to an amount where 3 x 8 is once again challenging and repeat. This is going to be imperfect, but with limited equipment and experience it is a simple framework to follow.

I would suggest starting very simply and doing something like:

Goblet squats

These are very simple and can be done holding a dumbbell. Make sure to achieve good depth and control your body throughout the movement. You could also do front squats with your barbell, but I think you would struggle as a new lifter. The third option is to clean and press the barbell and then do normal squats, which is what I used to do when I first started lifting. I wouldn't advise that though as you are unlikely to have the shoulder strength to reliably push press the weight from behind your head.

Bent rows

Can be done with the barbell or the dumbbell as you prefer.

Shoulder press

Again, you can use the dumbbells or the barbell as you prefer. If you use the dumbbells, you can consider also throwing in different types of press (standard grip, neutral grip, Arnold press etc).

Floor press

This is the closest easy approximation of a bench press you can do without a bench. If you have plenty of space, benches can be picked up very cheaply though, I had one in my room throughout my teens and it was not a large room at all.

Arm stuff

You mention this is important to you. Bicep curls, hammer curls, reverse curls, triceps extension. Do as you please. Other exercises hit your arms too.

Whatever else

Look stuff up and try it. Your plan in general is a sub-optimal way to build strength, but that doesn't really matter. Try to enjoy the process. Almost anything you can bring yourself to do regularly will be preferable to not doing anything.

Cardio

Do it if you want to. Listen to your body and you will be fine.
Original post by ByronicHero
How much weight do you have available?

The problem you will have in the fullness of time is that your strength will outpace your ability to reasonably purchase equipment. You also ideally need to build some sort of progression into your workouts - that can be increases in volume, weight or both. You can start with 3 x 8 of each exercise with a weight which feels challenging but not punishing and then if you complete all three workouts without failing, change to 3 x 9 the next week and so on until 3 x 12 and then increase the weight to an amount where 3 x 8 is once again challenging and repeat. This is going to be imperfect, but with limited equipment and experience it is a simple framework to follow.

I would suggest starting very simply and doing something like:

Goblet squats

These are very simple and can be done holding a dumbbell. Make sure to achieve good depth and control your body throughout the movement. You could also do front squats with your barbell, but I think you would struggle as a new lifter. The third option is to clean and press the barbell and then do normal squats, which is what I used to do when I first started lifting. I wouldn't advise that though as you are unlikely to have the shoulder strength to reliably push press the weight from behind your head.

Bent rows

Can be done with the barbell or the dumbbell as you prefer.

Shoulder press

Again, you can use the dumbbells or the barbell as you prefer. If you use the dumbbells, you can consider also throwing in different types of press (standard grip, neutral grip, Arnold press etc).

Floor press

This is the closest easy approximation of a bench press you can do without a bench. If you have plenty of space, benches can be picked up very cheaply though, I had one in my room throughout my teens and it was not a large room at all.

Arm stuff

You mention this is important to you. Bicep curls, hammer curls, reverse curls, triceps extension. Do as you please. Other exercises hit your arms too.

Whatever else

Look stuff up and try it. Your plan in general is a sub-optimal way to build strength, but that doesn't really matter. Try to enjoy the process. Almost anything you can bring yourself to do regularly will be preferable to not doing anything.

Cardio

Do it if you want to. Listen to your body and you will be fine.

The set is up 30kg atm but I can always buy new additonal weights for it.

Thanks for all the advice :smile: - I would do a longer reply but on my phone!

Do you think getting a bench is good then as I have the space??
what byonic hero said is pretty much what i would say is good to start off with,

and with cardio, its up to you, and everyone handles it differently too, if you do decide to start it, and given with what youve told me about your health too, id start off with very very light cardio and not put too much stress on your body with it.
i always start off with cardio and end with it too as it kinda gives me the pump/rush for the sets in between? kinda gets you going so i wouldnt cut it out completely,, fb me if you need help :biggrin:
Original post by CleverSquirrel
what byonic hero said is pretty much what i would say is good to start off with,

and with cardio, its up to you, and everyone handles it differently too, if you do decide to start it, and given with what youve told me about your health too, id start off with very very light cardio and not put too much stress on your body with it.
i always start off with cardio and end with it too as it kinda gives me the pump/rush for the sets in between? kinda gets you going so i wouldnt cut it out completely,, fb me if you need help :biggrin:

Yeah! Thanks you :h:

I just asked about cardio as some youtube fitness people said to avoid it of you want to build muscle and some said the opposite :confused:

But youre right, start it and aee how ot goes! :smile:

Ah thanks - will do :smile: :hugs:
3 sets of 12 is a good place to start, but as you get further on your fitness journey youll come across many other more efficient ways to build mass for yourself.

Make sure you have plenty of rest in between workouts, around 48 hours is ideal in order to allow the body to repair and rebuild and build more and stronger.

Good luck, just take it nice and slow and youll see results in due course.
Original post by MathSci1999
3 sets of 12 is a good place to start, but as you get further on your fitness journey youll come across many other more efficient ways to build mass for yourself.

Make sure you have plenty of rest in between workouts, around 48 hours is ideal in order to allow the body to repair and rebuild and build more and stronger.

Good luck, just take it nice and slow and youll see results in due course.

Cheers buddy :smile:

Yeah, I'll take it slowly and just start adding more etc as it goes on :h:
Yeah! Thanks you :h:

I just asked about cardio as some youtube fitness people said to avoid it of you want to build muscle and some said the opposite :confused:

But youre right, start it and aee how ot goes! :smile:

Ah thanks - will do :smile: :hugs:

Cardio is fine and won’t hinder gains (unless really significant running/bike etc work). The only way it would is if the cardio means you don’t get enough calories in and so lose weight or maintain.
So track calories and obviously track exercise into that which is obvious if you use myfitnesspal.
Original post by Unistudent77
Cardio is fine and won’t hinder gains (unless really significant running/bike etc work). The only way it would is if the cardio means you don’t get enough calories in and so lose weight or maintain.
So track calories and obviously track exercise into that which is obvious if you use myfitnesspal.

Ah thanks - that makes sense! :smile:

My fitness pal confuses me :confused: @CleverSquirrel, can you help??
Definitely recommend getting a bench. This will be good to get you started, you'll outgrow it eventually but it folds up and tucks into a cupboard to save space when not in use https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Folding-Weight-Bench-Multi-Gym-Dumbell-Sit-Up-Workout-Abs-Leg-Bar-Preacher-Curl/222031851178?hash=item33b2212eaa:g:u:O8AAOSwImRYNURw

I'd also recommend getting a chin-up bar, plenty of different ones on eBay or Amazon also and they all do the trick.

I wrote a beginner's routine here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4853194

Obviously some of the exercises won't be suitable to you, so here's an alternate version (though, still read the link to see how the progression and frequency works):

Upper body

Bench press - 4 sets of 6-8 reps
Incline press or Overhead press - 3 sets of 8-10
Barbell or dumbbell rows - 3 sets of 6-8
Pullups/chins - 3 sets of 8-10
Reverse dumbbell flyes - 2 sets of 10-12
Triceps - 2 sets of 10-12
Biceps - 2 sets of 10-12

Lower body

Dumbbell or Goblet squat - 4 sets of 10-12
Leg extension - 3 sets of 12-15
Leg curls - 3 sets of 10-12
Standing calf raise - 3 sets of 8-10
Kneeling calf raise - 2 sets of 10-12
Abs
nvm
The set is up 30kg atm but I can always buy new additonal weights for it.

Thanks for all the advice :smile: - I would do a longer reply but on my phone!

Do you think getting a bench is good then as I have the space??

You can pick stuff up online pretty cheaply, especially if you can collect it. 30kg will be fine for a little while, but you will soon find yourself needing more. I'd take a look on Ebay and Gumtree in your area and see if anyone is offloading stuff. I got my main competition kettlebell heavily discounted on Ebay, luckily.

Decide on a routine you feel you can stick to and then perhaps commit to it and keep a lifting log on TSR or another site to track your progress. The routine Woody has posted is also generally fine. There is no particular need for you to be separating upper and lower right now, but if you want to work out 4 times a week then it is sensible - and it does add some variety. The routine includes a different kind of progression protocol, which is fine. It is not very unlike All Pro's, which is another good beginner routine. Ultimately, you need to pick something you think you can stick with for at least 3 - 6 months as building consistency is important early on.

If you have the space, and are commited to working out at home, then any investment in your health will likely be a good one - especially for a modest price. It's not a necessity to begin with, though. You can see if you manage to maintain your workouts for a few weeks and then invest in more gear if your motivation is persistent.

I just ate a kebab, and talking about this has made me feel bad about the thin layer of dust on the dumbbells near me :lol:

Good luck :borat:
Ah thanks - that makes sense! :smile:

My fitness pal confuses me :confused: @CleverSquirrel, can you help??

yah ill message you, gimme a sec, check fb!
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Definitely recommend getting a bench. This will be good to get you started, you'll outgrow it eventually but it folds up and tucks into a cupboard to save space when not in use https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Folding-Weight-Bench-Multi-Gym-Dumbell-Sit-Up-Workout-Abs-Leg-Bar-Preacher-Curl/222031851178?hash=item33b2212eaa:g:u:O8AAOSwImRYNURw

I'd also recommend getting a chin-up bar, plenty of different ones on eBay or Amazon also and they all do the trick.

I wrote a beginner's routine here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4853194

Obviously some of the exercises won't be suitable to you, so here's an alternate version (though, still read the link to see how the progression and frequency works):

Upper body

Bench press - 4 sets of 6-8 reps
Incline press or Overhead press - 3 sets of 8-10
Barbell or dumbbell rows - 3 sets of 6-8
Pullups/chins - 3 sets of 8-10
Reverse dumbbell flyes - 2 sets of 10-12
Triceps - 2 sets of 10-12
Biceps - 2 sets of 10-12

Lower body

Dumbbell or Goblet squat - 4 sets of 10-12
Leg extension - 3 sets of 12-15
Leg curls - 3 sets of 10-12
Standing calf raise - 3 sets of 8-10
Kneeling calf raise - 2 sets of 10-12
Abs

Ah cheers! :smile: I'll check it out!!!!

Original post by ByronicHero
You can pick stuff up online pretty cheaply, especially if you can collect it. 30kg will be fine for a little while, but you will soon find yourself needing more. I'd take a look on Ebay and Gumtree in your area and see if anyone is offloading stuff. I got my main competition kettlebell heavily discounted on Ebay, luckily.

Decide on a routine you feel you can stick to and then perhaps commit to it and keep a lifting log on TSR or another site to track your progress. The routine Woody has posted is also generally fine. There is no particular need for you to be separating upper and lower right now, but if you want to work out 4 times a week then it is sensible - and it does add some variety. The routine includes a different kind of progression protocol, which is fine. It is not very unlike All Pro's, which is another good beginner routine. Ultimately, you need to pick something you think you can stick with for at least 3 - 6 months as building consistency is important early on.

If you have the space, and are commited to working out at home, then any investment in your health will likely be a good one - especially for a modest price. It's not a necessity to begin with, though. You can see if you manage to maintain your workouts for a few weeks and then invest in more gear if your motivation is persistent.

I just ate a kebab, and talking about this has made me feel bad about the thin layer of dust on the dumbbells near me :lol:

Good luck :borat:

Thank you :smile:

Original post by CleverSquirrel
yah ill message you, gimme a sec, check fb!

:h:
Reply 14
Hey Everyone.

Cardio is good just not too much. Do as much as you feel you need to.

I do 20 minutes cardio at the end of every gym session.

If you do more cardio, just eat more.

Quick Reply

Latest