The Student Room Group

Art GCSE In the News

What are good artists to look at for In the News theme for new art GCSE exam?! Please help. Need this info ASAP!
Im not currently doing art gcse, tho I can help you out if you write out what the question is
Reply 2
Original post by Starlight22
Im not currently doing art gcse, tho I can help you out if you write out what the question is

basically as part of my exam I have to do artist research page so I have to find an Artist that does work inspired by news so like Andy Warhol does pop art of celebrities and all famous stuff. But I need another artist.
Banksy has done multiple pieces influenced by things in the news, including his The Walled Off hotel which apparently has the worst view in the world over looking a border between Palestine and Israel, to comment on the conflict there.

Picasso's Guernica was created in response after hearing that the village of Guernica in Spain had been bombed as a result go the Spanish Civil War, and is widely regarded as an antiwar piece. He also created the drawing of a dove as a symbol for peace, and thus has been used since as an icon for peace and anti-war.

Theres also the artist couple of Iri and Toshi Maruki who ended up painting scenes of Hiroshima, as they had both lived through the aftermath of the atomic bombs there

For more recent examples there Kehinde Wiley, who painted the new portrait of Barack Obama at the National Portrait Gallery.

If you're interested in celebrities, Christine Cornell is a courtroom artist and has done pictures of Trump, Martha Stewart, Woody Allen, and a whole bunch of other famous people whilst they've been on trial.

I hope this helped!
Reply 4
Original post by Starlight22
Banksy has done multiple pieces influenced by things in the news, including his The Walled Off hotel which apparently has the worst view in the world over looking a border between Palestine and Israel, to comment on the conflict there.

Picasso's Guernica was created in response after hearing that the village of Guernica in Spain had been bombed as a result go the Spanish Civil War, and is widely regarded as an antiwar piece. He also created the drawing of a dove as a symbol for peace, and thus has been used since as an icon for peace and anti-war.

Theres also the artist couple of Iri and Toshi Maruki who ended up painting scenes of Hiroshima, as they had both lived through the aftermath of the atomic bombs there

For more recent examples there Kehinde Wiley, who painted the new portrait of Barack Obama at the National Portrait Gallery.

If you're interested in celebrities, Christine Cornell is a courtroom artist and has done pictures of Trump, Martha Stewart, Woody Allen, and a whole bunch of other famous people whilst they've been on trial.

I hope this helped!

omg! Yass! Thank you soo much!
Original post by theaugustev
omg! Yass! Thank you soo much!

Im happy I could help! btw, if you ever need art help feel free to message me, Ive gone through GCSE and A level so I know what its like
Reply 6
Im doing Andy Warhol and Zephani Jong. Jong is an American artist who mostly works in graphite pencil and her work mostly focuses on modern celebrities such as Billie Ellish and Troye Sivian but her most famous works are done on postit notes and depict vines which tbh is the reason i chose her as an artist for my project. You can find her at @zephanijong on twitter and instagram. Im really struggling with finding my 3rd artist and my work is due for inspection on Wednesday 😑
I'm doing Warhol, Delacroix, Shepard Fairey as studies but I'm also looking at individual paintings: Picasso's Guernica, Charles I in three positions by Sir Anthony van Dyck and I'm also looking at messages such as Banksy's 'Walled Off Hotel' for my development towards a final piece
shaun oakley
Original post by AjToday
Im doing Andy Warhol and Zephani Jong. Jong is an American artist who mostly works in graphite pencil and her work mostly focuses on modern celebrities such as Billie Ellish and Troye Sivian but her most famous works are done on postit notes and depict vines which tbh is the reason i chose her as an artist for my project. You can find her at @zephanijong on twitter and instagram. Im really struggling with finding my 3rd artist and my work is due for inspection on Wednesday 😑

hi! i know you posted this comment over a year ago, but i was wondering how zephani jong's work links to the topic? my exam topic is 'events' and i've chosen to target it specifically at events in the news; i like the look of jong's work but i was just wondering how it links to the topic. thanks in advance! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending