The Student Room Group

What subjects do you wish you could have chosen and which you regret for GCSE?

Scroll to see replies

ART wa my biggest regret. Did it for 2 years throughout year 9 and 10 which took away most of my time. However, I dropped it and chose GCSE PE which was hard (because I had to catchup on 2 years work) but after about 3 months, I was breezing through it because I am quite good in sports so I just had to practice playing sports which is much more fun than drawing stuff.

Also, if I were you, I would try and do Additional Maths (FSMQ), it is probably the second best thing I did. When I did it, it took some time to understand. However, now during my first year of A-level, it has huge benefits if you do decide to do maths for a-level.
Got fooled into doing french as it 'looks good' to university's, currently in year 11 and regretting this massively.
Original post by DyingWhale21
What were the subjects you chose?

Ict, Chinese, triple science and history
Other subjects were French, English, maths, RS
Original post by y.u.mad.bro?
ART wa my biggest regret. Did it for 2 years throughout year 9 and 10 which took away most of my time. However, I dropped it and chose GCSE PE which was hard (because I had to catchup on 2 years work) but after about 3 months, I was breezing through it because I am quite good in sports so I just had to practice playing sports which is much more fun than drawing stuff.

Also, if I were you, I would try and do Additional Maths (FSMQ), it is probably the second best thing I did. When I did it, it took some time to understand. However, now during my first year of A-level, it has huge benefits if you do decide to do maths for a-level.

AddMaths is compulsory for me anyways :biggrin: but thank you for the heads up :smile:
PE seems really tiring though, even though I'm in sports teams, my stamina isn't very high so I don't think I'll be doing it.
Original post by Janej77
Ict, Chinese, triple science and history
Other subjects were French, English, maths, RS

Ooh is chinese igcse hard?
I'm cureently doing it as my third language and its recommended that we should do a third lang because it looks 'good'
AddMaths is compulsory for me anyways :biggrin: but thank you for the heads up :smile:
PE seems really tiring though, even though I'm in sports teams, my stamina isn't very high so I don't think I'll be doing it.

When people think of PE they think you have to be like super fit. You don't. It isn't all about stamina. You can easily get an A with low stamina in PE. But if you want A*, you need to be extremely good in at least 3-4 sports where you play at county level or above.

If you want advice on PE, I can give it to you and trust me, it requires less stamina than ART :biggrin:
Original post by VirgoStrain
Everyone in my school who did art GCSE hated it. Even the smartest kid in the school at the tine narrowly scraped an A this year. I did DT and it was awesome.

OH what is DT like? Its a new subject in my school that came this year.
After I handed in my options form with drama and textiles on it, I regret it but I managed to get it changed to computing before I started year 10 luckily. I realized computing would be much more beneficial and I couldn't be bothered with all the written work in drama. But if I ever remember the parts of a cpu, it will be nothing short of a miracle :biggrin:
Reply 48
I took Spanish and out teacher is really stubborn and says she will only speak Spanish so I don't learn anything and wish I chose geography instead as that would of fitted in in my timetable, but yh!
Did anyone take business and find it super booooooring
Reply 50
I had to take German as a language was a compulsory choice and I hated it.
Turns out that by year 10 I’d developed a chronic illness that in hindsight had created enormous problems with my memory and concentration, not to mention my energy levels. I got a dreadful grade in that subject.

Thankfully I’d taken Art, Graphics and Drama for my other three, which I did well in because I was passionate about them. (Art is no easy subject choice, which several people quickly learned.)

GCSE Photography was available in other schools in the local area and I’d have preferred to take that any day. But if it was between any of the subjects my school offered that wasn’t a language, I’d have picked Food Tech or Textiles.

(But I’m someone who always aimed to have a career in the arts and took similar subjects at A-Level, now aiming to study Art History at uni.)
Oo, I haven't started mine yet, but I'm choosing

English Literature
English Language
Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Geography
Spanish
French
Drama

With RS and German as my reserves! What are you thinking of?
I wish id chosen spanish instead of french.
Regret Media studies, wish I did French alongside another language (Spanish)
Reply 54
Hello TSR community!
I was wondering what subjects people regret doing or want to do, because I am currently starting to choose which ones I'd go for.

Hi,
I regret doing Latin and French because even though I'm good at them, I find them really boring. I wish my school did subjects like: Law, Food Tech, Psychology and Business Studies at GCSE though.
Make sure you do what lessons you enjoy at school, and not what you think will 'work for the future' - future plans change, especially as you go through GCSE and sixth form, and you're really best doing what you truly love! That's what I learnt from my experiences picking GCSEs and college courses <3 Be true to yourself and choose your fave lessons - and don't think too much abt the work load, because every GCSE is hard work.
Original post by scarlettt8
Make sure you do what lessons you enjoy at school, and not what you think will 'work for the future' - future plans change, especially as you go through GCSE and sixth form, and you're really best doing what you truly love! That's what I learnt from my experiences picking GCSEs and college courses <3 Be true to yourself and choose your fave lessons - and don't think too much abt the work load, because every GCSE is hard work.

That's some very good advice!
Hello TSR community!
I was wondering what subjects people regret doing or want to do, because I am currently starting to choose which ones I'd go for.

Well the subjects i chose was:
Art
Textiles
History
Music

Art is very very stressful as you basically have coursework to do every single week as homework if you do not finish it and we are rushing through exam preparation as we dont have much time. Textiles is a nightmare as last year, in year 10, we had so many substitute teachers that we basically missed a years worth of theory so we are starting to prepare theory this week. I do enjoy music more when it was changed from GCSE to BTEC and as i play the drums, it helps with my performance skills. However, my music teacher has not been here for the past few weeks but we did have a music substitute who turns out to be an actual music teacher. Last but not least, History, which is my favourite, the subject i have been revising a lot for as i missed so much and it really has been paying off. However, i did really bad in my mocks, I got a 4 and i at least want to get a 6 or above, But as long as you try your hardest, you will get there in the end. I wish you all amazing luck for the upcoming exams as i know you will all do amazing :smile:
Original post by tooschool4cool
Oo, I haven't started mine yet, but I'm choosing

English Literature
English Language
Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Geography
Spanish
French
Drama

With RS and German as my reserves! What are you thinking of?

Well, I've chosen
English Language (2nd & 1st)
English Literature
Maths (AddMaths)
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
History
Music
Economics
Thai
Astronomy
Original post by Historian1066
Well the subjects i chose was:
Art
Textiles
History
Music

Art is very very stressful as you basically have coursework to do every single week as homework if you do not finish it and we are rushing through exam preparation as we dont have much time. Textiles is a nightmare as last year, in year 10, we had so many substitute teachers that we basically missed a years worth of theory so we are starting to prepare theory this week. I do enjoy music more when it was changed from GCSE to BTEC and as i play the drums, it helps with my performance skills. However, my music teacher has not been here for the past few weeks but we did have a music substitute who turns out to be an actual music teacher. Last but not least, History, which is my favourite, the subject i have been revising a lot for as i missed so much and it really has been paying off. However, i did really bad in my mocks, I got a 4 and i at least want to get a 6 or above, But as long as you try your hardest, you will get there in the end. I wish you all amazing luck for the upcoming exams as i know you will all do amazing :smile:

Thank you! Wow Art seems to be a nightmare for everyone.

Quick Reply

Latest