The Student Room Group

Gap Year?

Hi so I'm in Year 13 now and received offers from all the universities that I've applied to but there's a tinge of regret over the fact that I didn't apply in Imperial. So I was wondering if I should take a gap year and apply there if it's possible? also considering that I repeated year 12...thanls
Original post by lmr0815
Hi so I'm in Year 13 now and received offers from all the universities that I've applied to but there's a tinge of regret over the fact that I didn't apply in Imperial. So I was wondering if I should take a gap year and apply there if it's possible? also considering that I repeated year 12...thanls

Up to you. Maybe decide once you have your results as to whether its worth it. You can have many good careers and uni experiences outside imperial. Will you get the grades required and can you put in a string application. Check with them about their view to people who repeat a year.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Up to you. Maybe decide once you have your results as to whether its worth it. You can have many good careers and uni experiences outside imperial. Will you get the grades required and can you put in a string application. Check with them about their view to people who repeat a year.

Thank you!
Original post by lmr0815
Thank you!

Sorry I cant be more helpful. It is a personal decision for you, so do as much research as you can about the benefits and your chances. Is it worth giving a year up for a chance. Getting your results will tell you a lot more and you will be in a position to know better.
Reply 4
Sorry I cant be more helpful. It is a personal decision for you, so do as much research as you can about the benefits and your chances. Is it worth giving a year up for a chance. Getting your results will tell you a lot more and you will be in a position to know better.

It’s fine and I completely understand. I’m just in the position right now where I used to think that I knew what I wanted to do, but circumstances changed and now I have to look for a different route. To add on, I’m really close to my exams and I will have to reply to my university offers soon and I just can’t seem to make my mind up. But thank you very much for your response.
Original post by lmr0815
It’s fine and I completely understand. I’m just in the position right now where I used to think that I knew what I wanted to do, but circumstances changed and now I have to look for a different route. To add on, I’m really close to my exams and I will have to reply to my university offers soon and I just can’t seem to make my mind up. But thank you very much for your response.

Accept the best offers you can and revisit it when you get your results.After the exams but before your results, then do an open day at imperial or just visit to get an idea. When the results come out you can decline. Dont worry about it till later and focus on your exams. that is the best advice you will get. Now is not the time t make the best decision.
Reply 6
Accept the best offers you can and revisit it when you get your results.After the exams but before your results, then do an open day at imperial or just visit to get an idea. When the results come out you can decline. Dont worry about it till later and focus on your exams. that is the best advice you will get. Now is not the time t make the best decision.

Yeah you're right. Once again thank you:smile:
Original post by lmr0815
Yeah you're right. Once again thank you:smile:

Yes am trying to get you to think an make a smart decision for you rather than telling you which one to make. Its a personal choice, later you can make a better decision, but do the research and dont forget there are other good unis, where you can. have a great time and come away with a good degree. Will shut up now. You will have much more of a feeling for it when you have the results in hand.
Reply 8
Yes am trying to get you to think an make a smart decision for you rather than telling you which one to make. Its a personal choice, later you can make a better decision, but do the research and dont forget there are other good unis, where you can. have a great time and come away with a good degree. Will shut up now. You will have much more of a feeling for it when you have the results in hand.

I'll start my research now :smile:
Original post by lmr0815
I'll start my research now :smile:

Honestly you should be focused on the exams. Theres a big gap after the exams and before the results where you are in limbo. Use that. revision and relaxation is at a premium now.
Reply 10
Honestly you should be focused on the exams. Theres a big gap after the exams and before the results where you are in limbo. Use that. revision and relaxation is at a premium now.

True. okay then thanks a lot!

hey, i was thinking of taking a gap year but if i apply for a student finance this year can i decline it and and get a student finance the following year to complete a MEng course?
Original post by man111111
hey, i was thinking of taking a gap year but if i apply for a student finance this year can i decline it and and get a student finance the following year to complete a MEng course?

The gap year is mid-degree (you talk about completing)?

Just contact SFE and get them to cancel finance for the relevant year. It is important no payments are made to trigger usage. Keep SFE informed.
The gap year is mid-degree (you talk about completing)?

Just contact SFE and get them to cancel finance for the relevant year. It is important no payments are made to trigger usage. Keep SFE informed.

ok thanks, i was talking about a gap year straight after A levels
Original post by man111111
ok thanks, i was talking about a gap year straight after A levels

If you apply and change your mind , then just contact both the uni and SFE to cancel it.

Quick Reply

Latest