The Student Room Group

Which GCSEs are you choosing/did you choose?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RantingWhovian
I took them when I was good at languages back in year 9, then I focussed more on the subjects I needed so they became my worst subjects (got a B and a C). They were great fun though. I’m such a maths nerd so I didn’t really care about languages, incl English

French, Spanish and Maths are all my favourite subjects, so I don't think I could stop loving them aha! At A-Level I definitely want to do French, Spanish and Maths, and then maybe FM, Physics or English Language (depending on the degree I decide to pursue)
Original post by tooschool4cool
French, Spanish and Maths are all my favourite subjects, so I don't think I could stop loving them aha! At A-Level I definitely want to do French, Spanish and Maths, and then maybe FM, Physics or English Language (depending on the degree I decide to pursue)

Good, they’re good subjects to have. You’re allowed to take 4?! At all the schools I looked at they only let us take 4 if we were really smart or if it was further maths because it links to maths a lot.
Good, they’re good subjects to have. You’re allowed to take 4?! At all the schools I looked at they only let us take 4 if we were really smart or if it was further maths because it links to maths a lot.

Yeah (not to be conceited but I am also quite smart and am predicted nine 9s and one 8 at the moment) although I would say that you probably have to have gotten mostly As at GCSE or they will question it. I know one girl who took Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and FM!!
Yeah (not to be conceited but I am also quite smart and am predicted nine 9s and one 8 at the moment) although I would say that you probably have to have gotten mostly As at GCSE or they will question it. I know one girl who took Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and FM!!

She must’ve had no free time! That’s insane! Ah well done, I got mostly As and A*s at GCSE so FM was no problem, although I went to the local grammar school for sixth form and hardly anyone is taking 4 (not incl FM where there’s 10 of us). I was quite surprised
She must’ve had no free time! That’s insane! Ah well done, I got mostly As and A*s at GCSE so FM was no problem, although I went to the local grammar school for sixth form and hardly anyone is taking 4 (not incl FM where there’s 10 of us). I was quite surprised

Yeah, at the moment I generally get full marks on all the Maths tests and I'm doing an extra Level 2 qualification on the side, so I think I am able enough to do FM:smile:
The following gcse's i did were all compulsory:
English Language
English Literature
Maths
Science (Double award)
ICT (short course) There was the option to do the full ICT gcse if you chose ICT as one of your options
Religion

The rest were the 4 options- the last 4 gcse's where we got to choose which of the others to pick:
Sociology
Geography
Business studies
French
Original post by ashestostardust
English Lit + Lang (compulsory)
Maths (compulsory)
Triple Science (compulsory)
RS (compulsory)
Media Studies
Economics
French
Geography

In Y11 right now and would like to become a writer x
Good luck with your GCSEs!

I wish there was the option to do economics at my old school. I did business studies and loved it and would have been interested in economics.
I remember hearing a few people asking about doing it at a-level and were disappointed to find out the school didnt offer it at a-level either.
Original post by Emma:-)
I wish there was the option to do economics at my old school. I did business studies and loved it and would have been interested in economics.
I remember hearing a few people asking about doing it at a-level and were disappointed to find out the school didnt offer it at a-level either.

If you’re ever given the opportunity, I thoroughly recommend doing it. You learn so much about the world and I know that even though I’m not carrying it on the A-Level that what I’ve learned will benefit me for the rest of my life.
Original post by Emma:-)
The following gcse's i did were all compulsory:
English Language
English Literature
Maths
Science (Double award)
ICT (short course) There was the option to do the full ICT gcse if you chose ICT as one of your options
Religion

The rest were the 4 options- the last 4 gcse's where we got to choose which of the others to pick:
Sociology
Geography
Business studies
French

Oh cool! My school doesn't offer business but it looks interesting xx
Original post by ashestostardust
If you’re ever given the opportunity, I thoroughly recommend doing it. You learn so much about the world and I know that even though I’m not carrying it on the A-Level that what I’ve learned will benefit me for the rest of my life.

If i was ever given the opportunity id have jumped at it. Id rather my school offered that than a couple of the lesser known subjects like child development and some youth sward thing which hardly anyone did.
I did:
English Lit (Compulsory)
English Lang (Compulsory)
Maths (Compulsory)
Triple Science
Art
History
Philosophy and Ethics

And now I'm in year 13 doing Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and EPQ with an AS Level in Religious Studies. I'm hoping to do Microbiology or Biomed at university in September!
Oh cool! My school doesn't offer business but it looks interesting xx

It was really good actually.
Looking back i wouldnt have minded doing it at a-level.
Reply 32
Spanish, Geography, Food Tech and Psychology, along with all the core ones.
Original post by yeahthatonethere
I did:
English Lit (Compulsory)
English Lang (Compulsory)
Maths (Compulsory)
Triple Science
Art
History
Philosophy and Ethics

And now I'm in year 13 doing Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and EPQ with an AS Level in Religious Studies. I'm hoping to do Microbiology or Biomed at university in September!

Was art stressful? I'm thinking about it as a reserve but I'm not sure aha
Hey :smile: I’m currently in yr 11 and taking:
Maths
English lang & lit
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
French
German
RS
Music

I find that languages are by far the easiest GCSE relative to the amount of work needed and the grade boundaries (if that makes sense). Also if you’re musical, do music, it’ll be a breeze and there’s no homework :smile: (of course not everyone can do this). My friends have said that drama, art, geography and history are relatively hard so it’s good that you’re only doing one of them. Personally, English is my worst subject lol. So much to learn! I’m not sure what i want to do when I’m older, might just study psychology, business or something and work in a company and do marketing or something. I used to be so sure i wanted to go into stem but now I’m not so sure. Seems like a lot of work for quite a competitive sector, which i could manage, but I don’t know if I’d be passionate enough about the subject to do well though. Sorry for the ramble 😂
Good luck choosing.
Original post by n1cole
spanish, geography, food tech and psychology, along with all the core ones.

yess spanish and geographyyy
Do what you have enthusiasm for (and for A-levels) GCSE choices do not matter a single bit, as long as you do well at those subjects.
Yeah, at the moment I generally get full marks on all the Maths tests and I'm doing an extra Level 2 qualification on the side, so I think I am able enough to do FM:smile:

Yea defo. I did maths and got a 9, and then got an  on level 2 further maths
Original post by bluemuffin
Hey :smile: I’m currently in yr 11 and taking:
Maths
English lang & lit
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
French
German
RS
Music

I find that languages are by far the easiest GCSE relative to the amount of work needed and the grade boundaries (if that makes sense). Also if you’re musical, do music, it’ll be a breeze and there’s no homework :smile: (of course not everyone can do this). My friends have said that drama, art, geography and history are relatively hard so it’s good that you’re only doing one of them. Personally, English is my worst subject lol. So much to learn! I’m not sure what i want to do when I’m older, might just study psychology, business or something and work in a company and do marketing or something. I used to be so sure i wanted to go into stem but now I’m not so sure. Seems like a lot of work for quite a competitive sector, which i could manage, but I don’t know if I’d be passionate enough about the subject to do well though. Sorry for the ramble 😂
Good luck choosing.

At one point I was considering 3 languages😂 had you studied German before GCSE or not? I'm kind of musical but not enough to want to take it - Drama is more my thing. I really love Drama but I'm a bit scared about taking it because I think I would find RS easier and less stressful? Ughh idk ahha
English Language - A
English Literature - A
Maths - B
Biology - A
Chemistry - B
Physics - B
RE - C
Geography - A
History - A
Psychology - B

Then I did my A-Levels:

Psychology - A*
EPQ - A
Geography - A
Biology - B

Now I'm at university studying forensic psychology. Although I really want to have my own bakery.

Quick Reply

Latest