The Student Room Group

Further Maths

Since the start of year 12, I have been doing really well in maths, and have thoroughly enjoyed the subject. I believe that I would have been capable of doing further maths (FM), as I am excelling in the subject to an evident degree. Should I be annoyed that I didn't do FM, because instead of taking FM, I chose to do Economics? Was economics a better option than FM, to get a broader collection of knowledge?
Whether you’re annoyed or not I can’t tell you hahah, but if you’re doing 3 subjects then yes economics was the right choice. Some universities don’t class further maths as an additional subject (Sheffield didn’t for medicine) because it’s the same as maths, just more difficult
Original post by TheMythicalBeast
Whether you’re annoyed or not I can’t tell you hahah, but if you’re doing 3 subjects then yes economics was the right choice. Some universities don’t class further maths as an additional subject (Sheffield didn’t for medicine) because it’s the same as maths, just more difficult

I should learn further maths in University for my course, but it would have been easier for me than Economics.

Who said the OP is looking at medicine? FM would have been a better option for Engineering and CS and several other degrees.
Original post by jsk800
I should learn further maths in University for my course, but it would have been easier for me than Economics.

Can you pick up an AS in Year 13 or self study it?
Original post by jsk800

Well then maybe economics was the right choice after all, it’s like with law some universities don’t want you to do A Level law, if you’re taught it at uni then maybe they’d rather you have other subjects that could help you develop other useful skills. It’s too late now to change subjects, but you’ve lasted for quite a long time now so just try your best just so you get a good grade for uni
Original post by Muttley79
Who said the OP is looking at medicine? FM would have been a better option for Engineering and CS and several other degrees.

I didn’t say he was, it was just an example that I knew of where a university didn’t treat Further Maths as a separate subject...
I'm doing Electrical and Electronic Engineering

I'm currently in year 13, so it's too late to start learning it. Its just a thing that I've had on my mind.
Original post by jsk800
I'm doing Electrical and Electronic Engineering

I'm currently in year 13, so it's too late to start learning it. Its just a thing that I've had on my mind.

If you’re gonna be learning it in uni anyway I honestly wouldn’t worry about it, just worry about getting the grades that you need
If you’re gonna be learning it in uni anyway I honestly wouldn’t worry about it, just worry about getting the grades that you need

Alright, will do. Thanks for replying!
Original post by jsk800

No worries! I had the same thought because maths was always my best subject hahah
Original post by jsk800

What I'd recommend is to borrow a FM text to look at complex numbers and some more types of DEs before you go to uni. It will be easier to have some idea of these topics before you start.
Which unit is that?

What I'd recommend is to borrow a FM text to look at complex numbers and some more types of DEs before you go to uni. It will be easier to have some idea of these topics before you start.
Original post by jsk800
Which unit is that?

FP1 mainly, and FP2.
Original post by Andy Ftw
FP1 mainly, and FP2.

Many thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest