The Student Room Group

Which GCSEs are you choosing/did you choose?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vexed1234
Do what you have enthusiasm for (and for A-levels) GCSE choices do not matter a single bit, as long as you do well at those subjects.

Yeah I have chosensubjects I love!:smile:
Original post by tooschool4cool
Was art stressful? I'm thinking about it as a reserve but I'm not sure aha

Personally I hated it and wish I'd never taken it but that's just me! Its the only subject I got below an A in (I got a C) and I put so much effort into it so it kinda felt like nothing for all the work. However this could well be due to my school and art teacher. She was awful, constantly telling me I had no skill and it was a mistake to take it and I was gonna fail so take what I say with a pinch of salt as I may have loved it with a good teacher. It was awesome being able to draw and be creative and get a qualification for doing so but it is a lot of effort and work. It could be a nice break from the more academic subjects too! If you love doing all types of art and won't get sick of it after 2 years then it'll be good!
Original post by RantingWhovian
Yea defo. I did maths and got a 9, and then got an  on level 2 further maths

!! I'm excited about this because I LOVE maths ahahh
English language and literature (two separate GCSE's)
Maths
Combined science: trilogy
Re (compulsory)
Geography
German
Business studies
!! I'm excited about this because I LOVE maths ahahh

It’s just amazing!!!
Original post by yeahthatonethere
Personally I hated it and wish I'd never taken it but that's just me! Its the only subject I got below an A in (I got a C) and I put so much effort into it so it kinda felt like nothing for all the work. However this could well be due to my school and art teacher. She was awful, constantly telling me I had no skill and it was a mistake to take it and I was gonna fail so take what I say with a pinch of salt as I may have loved it with a good teacher. It was awesome being able to draw and be creative and get a qualification for doing so but it is a lot of effort and work. It could be a nice break from the more academic subjects too! If you love doing all types of art and won't get sick of it after 2 years then it'll be good!

Art stresses me outtttt
Nice! Do you enjoy them? Any you would/wouldn't recommend?:smile:

The subject that i would totally recommend is RS because that is one subject that i love and is interesting whereas i would not recommend history unless you do really enjoy it.
Reply 47
Also guys I love art but I’ve heard it’s really gruelling at GCSE? I do my options in y8 but I love creative subjects.
I chose GCSE History, sociology and IT. I got an A in history and sociology and a B in IT. I also took all 3 sciences and got an A in each and I got an A in RE which is compulsory as wel as an A in both English lit and language - I only got a B in maths. I am doing A level chemistry, history and biology right now!
Reply 49
Also guys I love art but I’ve heard it’s really gruelling at GCSE? I do my options in y8 but I love creative subjects. I want to take history, pe, German and something else...
Art stresses me outtttt

The choices you have are great already (given that you enjoy them). In all honesty the choices you make don't matter in the future, it's the grades so pick things you enjoy and are good at and you'll be set for GCSEs. I'd also say RS is a good reserve but slightly biased here (I love it) and don't worry too much about back up choices! No one in my high school ended up with their back ups, we all got our first choices so it's unlikely you'll get a back up anyway!
currently in year 11

maths & add maths fmsq
english lit & lang
three separate sciences
latin
computer science
geography
history
rs short course (took gcse in year 10, achieved A*)
(edited 6 years ago)
At one point I was considering 3 languages😂 had you studied German before GCSE or not? I'm kind of musical but not enough to want to take it - Drama is more my thing. I really love Drama but I'm a bit scared about taking it because I think I would find RS easier and less stressful? Ughh idk ahha

Well... i am half German so 😂 i speak it and it’s my “easy” gcse. But if you love languages why not do 3 of them? I would have it i could have tbh. Also look through the spec of drama and rs, apparently drama is a lot of essays and quite different to before. But as with anything, if you’re interested, then you should do it. Rs is relatively easy compared to other humanities... but you might prefer drama. You have to decide that.
We didn’t get much choice at our school. At the moment I’m doing these.
Compulsory:
English Lang and lit
Maths
Triple science (Chem, bio and physics)
PDE (personal development education-bull tbh)
PE
-
Chosen:
Art
Music
History
Art stresses me outtttt

Same it’s a nightmare partnered with music
Original post by DrawTheLine
English Language - A
English Literature - A
Maths - B
Biology - A
Chemistry - B
Physics - B
RE - C
Geography - A
History - A
Psychology - B

Then I did my A-Levels:

Psychology - A*
EPQ - A
Geography - A
Biology - B

Now I'm at university studying forensic psychology. Although I really want to have my own bakery.

Forensic psychology? That's so cool!
Original post by MissUnicorn
English language and literature (two separate GCSE's)
Maths
Combined science: trilogy
Re (compulsory)
Geography
German
Business studies

Oo what was/is German like?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by RantingWhovian
It’s just amazing!!!

Isn't it?!!!
Original post by imanwarsamee
The subject that i would totally recommend is RS because that is one subject that i love and is interesting whereas i would not recommend history unless you do really enjoy it.

Yeah I really DONT enjoy history aha. I'm thinking about RS but idk I really like Drama
Original post by yeahthatonethere
The choices you have are great already (given that you enjoy them). In all honesty the choices you make don't matter in the future, it's the grades so pick things you enjoy and are good at and you'll be set for GCSEs. I'd also say RS is a good reserve but slightly biased here (I love it) and don't worry too much about back up choices! No one in my high school ended up with their back ups, we all got our first choices so it's unlikely you'll get a back up anyway!

Yeah, hopefully I won't have to use them aha

Quick Reply

Latest