The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

What is the best accommodation at Southampton?

Hey guys, I've received an offer from Southampton for Psychology with Law, I will be starting in 2018. and am pretty much set on it as my first choice university. Right now I am deciding on which hall is the most suitable for me as I am most concerned with :

- Social life / Night life: This one is quite a big factor for me since I want to make the most of my uni experience so I was wondering which halls are the most social.
-En suite is preferable but not vital

Let me know of your experiences at Southampton too :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Kamanaraii
Hey guys, I've received an offer from Southampton for Psychology with Law, I will be starting in 2018. and am pretty much set on it as my first choice university. Right now I am deciding on which hall is the most suitable for me as I am most concerned with :

- Social life / Night life: This one is quite a big factor for me since I want to make the most of my uni experience so I was wondering which halls are the most social.
-En suite is preferable but not vital

Let me know of your experiences at Southampton too :smile:

Given your priorities then Mayflower - you would be better in the city centre.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
I know Glen Eyre has some en suite places. It's a flat, so you share the whole place with five others, but have your own room.
Reply 3
If social life is a priority, I'd recommend either Mayflower or Archers Road because they're the closest to town and all the clubs.

Other than that, it's down to the people you're with and the people who lives in each hall changes every year. There aren't any particular halls with a reputation for being social (although everyone will tell you theirs were).
Original post by 9910224
If social life is a priority, I'd recommend either Mayflower or Archers Road because they're the closest to town and all the clubs.

Other than that, it's down to the people you're with and the people who lives in each hall changes every year. There aren't any particular halls with a reputation for being social (although everyone will tell you theirs were).

Is Southampton good for social life? I have an offer which is quite high, so I want to make the right decision.
Reply 5
Original post by jsk800
Is Southampton good for social life? I have an offer which is quite high, so I want to make the right decision.
A lot depends on how sociable you are and how sociable your flatmates are.

There are plenty of clubs and pubs in Southampton. Some in Portswood and some in the City Centre. Sobar is a particular favourite with students as it is very cheap.
Honestly, go for the CHEAPEST halls (Wessex Lane for example) if you want the best social. Expensive halls have a habit of being really boring and filled with rich foreign students that don't go outside.
Reply 7
Ahh thanks so much guys! May have to end up going for the cheapest accommodation in the end anyway
Reply 8
Original post by Kamanaraii
Ahh thanks so much guys! May have to end up going for the cheapest accommodation in the end anyway

What everyone has said about location is irrelevant. A bus from Glen Eyre or Wessex Lane will take you to any club in the town centre or in portswood. Both of the halls i've stated are also the biggest in the Uni so you will make loads more friends there than anywhere else. And as you said Mayflower is way too expensive.
heyy!! i've also received an offer and will be applying to wessex lane accommodation. Looking at the 360 virtual tour, wessex has a gym, does anyone know if i would have to pay an additional fee to use it or is it free for student within that accommodation???
Reply 10
Original post by studier4life
heyy!! i've also received an offer and will be applying to wessex lane accommodation. Looking at the 360 virtual tour, wessex has a gym, does anyone know if i would have to pay an additional fee to use it or is it free for student within that accommodation???
You need a membership to use it. I've been told it has very little equipment - 1 treadmill, 1 rowing machine etc and no weights.
okay cool, yeah i've just checked the website, any idea how much it costs, can't find the prices anywhere :tongue:

Original post by nutz99
You need a membership to use it. I've been told it has very little equipment - 1 treadmill, 1 rowing machine etc and no weights.
Reply 12
Original post by studier4life
okay cool, yeah i've just checked the website, any idea how much it costs, can't find the prices anywhere :tongue:
You need to take out membership of the main gym and the Wessex Line gym comes as part of that. The Wessex Lane gym is actually in Connaught across the road. Peak gym membership for the current year was £230.
Original post by jsk800

I'd say so, yeah. The city has a good selection of pubs, clubs, activities and restaurants so there's something for everyone, access to different areas of the city is really convenient, students tend to be concentrated in areas of the city which have come to be very student-suitable, and there's a really good range of clubs and societies. Most faculties/courses also have really good student bodies that organise socials and events for their students. I really rate the social life here.
Everyone tends to say the halls they were in are the best! I was in Connaught and I absolutely LOVED it. It's so social - everyone knows everyone. It is all shared bathroom & kitchens (which I was terrified of when I first found out, but it only took like 2 days to get used to) and it part catered. About 300 people live there from varying backgrounds and degree programmes, which I loved. It's quite low cost as the buildings are older than most, but 100% worth it. I've had friends in Glen Eyre, Monte, Mayflower and Gateway - all thoroughly enjoyed their years too.

Also, people often forget private accommodation providers - when I was in first year, a friend of mine (physics student and a bit of a party-er) stayed in UniLife Park House, which has the same feel as halls but is considerably luxurious. Like, this company's whole purpose is to make student living the best possible thing, which is handy.

So, it's up to you! Happy to answer any more questions about halls / providers specifically - I know at least a bit about all of them. :smile:
How is everyone's accomodation search going? We still have studios available from September! You can have a look at our 360 viewers and find out more at https://www.unilife.co.uk/studios/pricing/. Feel free to email me at [email protected] or reply here if there's anything else you'd like to know about :smile: Have a great day!
In my opinion, Glen Eyre 100% has the best social life. You can walk to the university campus and then get a bus to any of the nightclubs which is definitely a bonus. My friend from Wessex Lane said that there wasn't much going on there in terms of social life, and wished she had chosen Glen. I think that Glen Eyre is one of the biggest halls as well which means that it can be easier to make friends with lots of different people, and there are bound to be people from your course living nearby.
Original post by jsk800

Define what you mean by social life.

Quick Reply

Latest