The Student Room Group

What should I do?

This guy likes me and we get along so well and in the future, there's a possibility that I would date him too, but my parents want me to focus on my a-levels and not date. What if I do want to date him and my parents just say no?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
This guy likes me and we get along so well and in the future, there's a possibility that I would date him too, but my parents want me to focus on my a-levels and not date. What if I do want to date him and my parents just say no?

How are they going to stop you from dating him? Although, why can't both having a relationship and doing well in A levels be possible?
just ask to meet up somewhere or just say you're going to see a friend
Reply 3
Original post by Tiger Rag
How are they going to stop you from dating him? Although, why can't both having a relationship and doing well in A levels be possible?

My mum just wants me to focus on my a levels and not get distracted. And she's said like she'd rather me be honest then lie to her and if she found out that I have lied she wouldn't be too happy
Reply 4
Original post by Ray_Shadows
just ask to meet up somewhere or just say you're going to see a friend

He'd rather me go to his house or go to like a coffee shop near his house so if I get dropped off my parents would probably know
Reply 5
Original post by allonsien
maybe just explain the situation to the person you like and hopefully they’d understand and be willing to wait if your parents won’t let you rn

I've said that I don't want to lead him on or get his hopes high for something that could possibly not happen but hes said hes still going to try
He'd rather me go to his house or go to like a coffee shop near his house so if I get dropped off my parents would probably know

so say you're gonna meet him at a coffee shop , would your parents wait around till they see who you're going to see

what you could do is just wait there till he shows (tell him to come a couple minutes late)
Reply 7
so say you're gonna meet him at a coffee shop , would your parents wait around till they see who you're going to see

what you could do is just wait there till he shows (tell him to come a couple minutes late)

nah they'd just ask who then drop me and leave but if they do see him then they wouldn't be too happy. and i could but if he comes earlier than me it would be an issue, and same thing when theyre picking me up
nah they'd just ask who then drop me and leave but if they do see him then they wouldn't be too happy. and i could but if he comes earlier than me it would be an issue, and same thing when theyre picking me up

ok , is there any way you can get to the coffee shop without your parents e.g bus ride or cycle
Reply 9
ok , is there any way you can get to the coffee shop without your parents e.g bus ride or cycle

I couldnt cycle and it'd take two buses, which is an hour unfortunately
I couldnt cycle and it'd take two buses, which is an hour unfortunately

ok well just try and be sneaky , you'll figure it out
yMe and my girlfriend had a similar situation, her parents were very much all about not having any relationship till university, and we were both aware of it when we started dating. We kept it on the low for the first few months under the guise we could show she was still blossoming at school, the months went by and she was doing great! We did eventually open up to them about it, Much to both our surprises though, they were both okay with it (as long as I don't disrupt her studies, which I heartily encourage haha). Maybe if you can prove you can juggle both they will turn over a new leaf and be tolerant & accepting towards it? Worked for us!

EDIT: Let it also be proof to yourself that you can juggle both, don't just put on the illusion for your parents and affect school badly, definitely a good idea to make it clear from the start how much school means to you to both of you.
(edited 6 years ago)
Sounds like my life.
Put all romance on hold till July 2018. Focus 100% on your studies now. After that, enjoy your summer with this young man.

It's all about appropriate behaviour at appropriate times. Now is the time to work like mad on your A-levels. July and August will be the time for romance.

The big danger is that you might get dumped or cheated on by your boyfriend, leaving you an emotional wreck for your exams.
Are your parents in control of you or something? sheesh have your own mind
Original post by goggleyed
They will have some control, as although the OP may be 18, she is still living at home and has no income.

Also, they are taking the long-term view on this, which is very wise.

The time will soon fly and it'll be July before we know it. The OP should wait till then to let her hair down. Any boy worth having as a boyfriend would fully understand and support the OP working as hard as she can till the end of the academic year.
Original post by SowyerSauce
yMe and my girlfriend had a similar situation, her parents were very much all about not having any relationship till university, and we were both aware of it when we started dating. We kept it on the low for the first few months under the guise we could show she was still blossoming at school, the months went by and she was doing great! We did eventually open up to them about it, Much to both our surprises though, they were both okay with it (as long as I don't disrupt her studies, which I heartily encourage haha). Maybe if you can prove you can juggle both they will turn over a new leaf and be tolerant & accepting towards it? Worked for us!

EDIT: Let it also be proof to yourself that you can juggle both, don't just put on the illusion for your parents and affect school badly, definitely a good idea to make it clear from the start how much school means to you to both of you.

thank you so much! if i do have feelings for him in the future I will take this into consideration and see how it goes!
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
Put all romance on hold till July 2018. Focus 100% on your studies now. After that, enjoy your summer with this young man.

It's all about appropriate behaviour at appropriate times. Now is the time to work like mad on your A-levels. July and August will be the time for romance.

The big danger is that you might get dumped or cheated on by your boyfriend, leaving you an emotional wreck for your exams.

thats actually quite true! he seems very loyal but theres always a possibility it could happen
Original post by goggleyed

im only 16, and im not disrespectful
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
They will have some control, as although the OP may be 18, she is still living at home and has no income.

Also, they are taking the long-term view on this, which is very wise.

The time will soon fly and it'll be July before we know it. The OP should wait till then to let her hair down. Any boy worth having as a boyfriend would fully understand and support the OP working as hard as she can till the end of the academic year.

I havent told him whats been going on because my feelings arent definite yet, im only 16 and still at home so i of course dont want tension

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending