The Student Room Group

Economics at Oxbridge

Hi,

I'm (hopefully) looking to do Economics at Oxbridge. I've looked at both courses at I seem to prefer the course at Cambridge due to the higher mathematical content.

I'm currently doing Economics, Maths, Further Maths and Physics/Chemistry. I'm set to be predicted 4A*. Which is a better 4th subject for the course Physics or Chemistry? I'm looking to drop one of them as it's proving to be too much work.

Also, can someone please educate me on the different admissions processes and what the unis are looking for?

Thanks.
Physics fits in better at Cambridge than Chemistry because it is more mathematical. Your maths, FM and physics will all fit together perfectly
Original post by Shiv7
Hi,

I'm (hopefully) looking to do Economics at Oxbridge. I've looked at both courses at I seem to prefer the course at Cambridge due to the higher mathematical content.

I'm currently doing Economics, Maths, Further Maths and Physics/Chemistry. I'm set to be predicted 4A*. Which is a better 4th subject for the course Physics or Chemistry? I'm looking to drop one of them as it's proving to be too much work.

Also, can someone please educate me on the different admissions processes and what the unis are looking for?

Thanks.

Do whichever you enjoy more, or find easier.
How do you already know your predicted grades if you haven’t already decided on your 4th subject?

A few things - Oxford is known to put a larger weight on GCSEs and TSA. So that’s a consideration (GCSEs against the context of your school)

Cambridge is probably more mathematical yeah, it’s why I went with Cambridge. They have an entrance exam now and that will probably carry more weight next year with the lack of AS results.

Another thing is, if I’m not wrong most offer holders carry their 4 A levels until A2, and it may be advantageous for you to do so. If I was in your position I’d do Physics too, it blends into maths quite well (at least the mechanics elements) and so feels like less new content, is also really interesting.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Shiv7
Hi,

Thanks.

No one i know that does did or went to oxbridge for economics took chemistry. They all took FM, M, E & PH so i hope that helps you make your mind up!!
Reply 5
I was currently doing 5 and now I'm going to drop Chemistry after seeing this. We've nearly finished our AS portions and the teachers have spoken to me about what predicted grades I've achieved through internal exams etc.

I would love to have some tips regarding the P.S, interview and assessments please. And the differences between the two
Reply 6
I don't really understand how you believe so firmly that you're "set" to be predicted 4 A*'s since I'm assuming you're in your last year of your GCSEs (given you're looking at a fourth subject). Don't underestimate the intensity of A-level subjects, no matter your ability.

Regardless the fourth subject isn't that important given that they're both equally weighted for your desired course (at least I'd assume so). I'd personally go with Physics as it is a lot more maths-based than Chemistry; they're both very difficult subjects, however.
Reply 7
I'm currently in Lower sixth. As I said I was doing 5 A-levels but now I'm set to drop one of them.

I would love any advice you have as to what specifically should go into the PS as I have time and what preps I can do to strengthen the PS.

Please advise me how to prepare for the pre interview assessment and is there any material in particular I can access.

Sorry for asking too many questions, how and what should I prepare for the interview?

Many Thanks
Original post by Shiv7
I'm currently in Lower sixth. As I said I was doing 5 A-levels but now I'm set to drop one of them.

I would love any advice you have as to what specifically should go into the PS as I have time and what preps I can do to strengthen the PS.

Please advise me how to prepare for the pre interview assessment and is there any material in particular I can access.

Sorry for asking too many questions, how and what should I prepare for the interview?

Many Thanks

Will you be taking any AS exams this year? What work surrounding economics have you done so far? If you’re planning to go ahead with 4 subjects next year drop physics.
Reply 9
Thanks. We will be taking the external AS exams for Physics, Maths and Economics for practice. I haven't done much work regarding Economics outside of school and I was looking for any suggestions as to what I could do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending