The Student Room Group

Which GCSEs are you choosing/did you choose?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bill Nye
Just the normal one - product design. My school does product design, textiles, catering and art.

Oml I LOVE product design:smile:
Original post by Charrrzzzz
It sucks I hate it so much, it’s an awful subject like I’m so bad at science I’m failing it all

Omggg I'm so sorry to hear that! EzyEducation might help - it's like Hegarty Maths (if your school has that) but instead of just Maths, it also offers science. It does cost money but we have it and think it's totally worth it! (I don't use it but my older sister who's doing triple science at the moment does) good luck:smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by tooschool4cool
Omggg I'm so sorry to hear that! EzyEducation might help - it's like Hegarty Maths (if your school has that) but instead of just Maths, it also offers science. It does cost money but we have it and think it's totally worth it! (I don't use it but my older sister who's doing triple science at the moment does) good luck:smile:

Thank you. I will give it a try
Original post by Charrrzzzz
Thank you. I will give it a try

:smile:
At one point I was considering 3 languages😂 had you studied German before GCSE or not? I'm kind of musical but not enough to want to take it - Drama is more my thing. I really love Drama but I'm a bit scared about taking it because I think I would find RS easier and less stressful? Ughh idk ahha

I was similar in that i considered 2 languages for gcse. I was gonna do both french and spanish as i loved them both but in the interview thing where you discussed your options with a teacher, i was advised against doing both if possible. I could have still done both if id wanted, but they recommended not doing all subjects that were too similar and doing a mixture.
Just out of interest, I'd like to know what you are taking at GCSE and the types of careers/degrees you might be interested in. If you've already completed your GCSEs, if you could give the grades you got and what you are doing now that would be great too!!

I'm choosing this year, and I'm going to pick -

English Literature
English Language
Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Geography
Spanish
French
Drama

With RS and German as my reserves! I'm interested in Maths, Languages and Linguistics at university (and possibly even Law). I don't really have a particular career in mind, but hopefully something that allows me to use my languages, because I love them! (The FCO, maybe)

What about you?

Finished mine back in 2014 . I did

Maths

English Lang

English Lit

History

Physics

Chemistry

Biology

RE

ICT (BTEC)

I'm currently a electrical engineering student and aim to pursue electrical engineering in university.
What grades were you getting in French and Spanish and what grades are you getting in all 3 MFLs now?

In my end of year 10 mocks in Spanish I got oral 100%, writing 100%, listening 100%, reading 94% (but we had only done half the course, same in French) and I can't remember the individual components in French but overall I got 97% I think.
I have most of my language mocks next week so I can't tell you about that except German listening - 86% and oral 93%, French listening 100% and reading 98%. Can't wait for German writing because I've done no revision and I can hardly make sentences lol
english language + lit (compulsory)
maths (compulsory)
biology (compulsory)
chemistry (compulsory)
physics (compulsory)
french (compulsory)
re (compulsory)
geography (option)
computer science (option)
business studies (option)

picked english lit, psychology and sociology for a-levels. hoping to study psychology with sociology at uni in the future, and then pursue a career in mental health.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Emma:-)
I was similar in that i considered 2 languages for gcse. I was gonna do both french and spanish as i loved them both but in the interview thing where you discussed your options with a teacher, i was advised against doing both if possible. I could have still done both if id wanted, but they recommended not doing all subjects that were too similar and doing a mixture.

I know they are a bit samey but they are my best subjects and I love them so much that I'm not going to change them! I know that I want to take them both to A-Level and possibly even degree, so yeah, I do want to keep them!! And my school encourages dual linguists as long as they are capable of doing well. Thanks, though:smile:
Original post by Kaffee_1998
Finished mine back in 2014 . I did

Maths

English Lang

English Lit

History

Physics

Chemistry

Biology

RE

ICT (BTEC)

I'm currently a electrical engineering student and aim to pursue electrical engineering in university.

Niceee:smile:
Original post by mundosinfin
In my end of year 10 mocks in Spanish I got oral 100%, writing 100%, listening 100%, reading 94% (but we had only done half the course, same in French) and I can't remember the individual components in French but overall I got 97% I think.
I have most of my language mocks next week so I can't tell you about that except German listening - 86% and oral 93%, French listening 100% and reading 98%. Can't wait for German writing because I've done no revision and I can hardly make sentences lol

Wow, thats amazingg!! You get similar scores to me in French and Spanish so that's reassuring, I'm not going to take German unless I can't get French or Spanish, but it's nice to see someone in the same position! Thanks so much for your help:smile: just one last question - are you going to study languages at A-Level/uni? x
Original post by entertainmyfaith
english language + lit (compulsory)
maths (compulsory)
biology (compulsory)
chemistry (compulsory)
physics (compulsory)
french (compulsory)
re (compulsory)
geography (option)
computer science (option)
business studies (option)

That's a lot of compulsory options! For me, only English Lit+Lang, Maths and Double
Science were compulsory and then you get either 5 options (where one is triple science, one is a humanity and another a language) or 4 (where one is a language and one is a humanity).
Just out of interest, I'd like to know what you are taking at GCSE and the types of careers/degrees you might be interested in. If you've already completed your GCSEs, if you could give the grades you got and what you are doing now that would be great too!!

I'm choosing this year, and I'm going to pick -

English Literature
English Language
Maths
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Geography
Spanish
French
Drama

With RS and German as my reserves! I'm interested in Maths, Languages and Linguistics at university (and possibly even Law). I don't really have a particular career in mind, but hopefully something that allows me to use my languages, because I love them! (The FCO, maybe)

What about you?

English Lit and Lang -Predicted 7’s (taking my GCSEs this May)
Maths- predicted 6
Science (combined)- predicted a 7/8
Spanish- predicted 6/7
sociology- predicted A/A*
Media- predicted B
Childcare- predicted A*

So overall 4 A*’s, 3 A’s and 2 B’s
(edited 6 years ago)
Wow, thats amazingg!! You get similar scores to me in French and Spanish so that's reassuring, I'm not going to take German unless I can't get French or Spanish, but it's nice to see someone in the same position! Thanks so much for your help:smile: just one last question - are you going to study languages at A-Level/uni? x

Hahahaha your scores must be pretty good then :tongue: too bad I don't like maths, then we would be very similar lol
Yeah honestly I would stick to your two languages, it's okay now but catching up on German was really difficult. German is a challenge but it's different to Spanish and French so if you're doing well in those then I would stick with that. You can ask me anything, don't worry :wink:
At A-Level I'm studying English, French, Spanish and Latin (so yes :tongue:) unfortunately I couldn't take German as that would mean my subjects would be the same, but swap Latin for German, and teachers said 3 languages wasn't worth it. And at uni yeah I'd either like to study MML/anything languages related, or English (literature preferably)
Year 11 here:

- Maths (compulsory; sat it early)
- Eng Lit (compulsory)
- Eng Lang (compulsory)
- Biology (compulsory)
- Chemistry (compulsory)
- Physics (compulsory)
- RE (compulsory; sat it early)
- French (optional)
- Psychology (optional)
- Computing (optional)

- A level Maths (optional)
- A level Further Maths (optional)

I recommend people pick variety of subjects e.g. a language, a scientific subject and a humanity (I'm a hypocrite; I didn't do this). The subject I hate is French (wouldn't recommend it unless you like it; it gets boring).
Original post by Beth286
English Lit and Lang -Predicted 7’s (taking my GCSEs this May)
Maths- predicted 6
Science (combined)- predicted a 7/8
Spanish- predicted 6/7
sociology- predicted A/A*
Media- predicted B
Childcare- predicted A*

So overall 4 A*’s, 3 A’s and 2 B’s

Woah those grades are great!! What do you want to do at college/at uni/for a career?:smile:
want to do medicine at university

english lit compulsory
english lang compulsory
maths compulsory
biology (triple science) compulsory
physics (triple science) compulsory
chemistry (triple science) compulsory
re compulsory
spanish taking a language is compulsory
history chosen
geography chosen
pe chosen

i’m currently in year 10 so i’ve done a few units of my gcses so far :yep:

if i don’t go into medicine, i’d like to do sports science or possibly look at childcare too but i’m hoping to do medicine! :love:

you can follow my journey on my gyg : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5015328
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by mundosinfin
Hahahaha your scores must be pretty good then :tongue: too bad I don't like maths, then we would be very similar lol
Yeah honestly I would stick to your two languages, it's okay now but catching up on German was really difficult. German is a challenge but it's different to Spanish and French so if you're doing well in those then I would stick with that. You can ask me anything, don't worry :wink:
At A-Level I'm studying English, French, Spanish and Latin (so yes :tongue:) unfortunately I couldn't take German as that would mean my subjects would be the same, but swap Latin for German, and teachers said 3 languages wasn't worth it. And at uni yeah I'd either like to study MML/anything languages related, or English (literature preferably)

That's so cool! It's so rare to find people that love languages so I'm really happy to see that aha:smile: again, thank you so much for the help xx
Original post by thekidwhogames
Year 11 here:

- Maths (compulsory; sat it early)
- Eng Lit (compulsory)
- Eng Lang (compulsory)
- Biology (compulsory)
- Chemistry (compulsory)
- Physics (compulsory)
- RE (compulsory; sat it early)
- French (optional)
- Psychology (optional)
- Computing (optional)

- A level Maths (optional)
- A level Further Maths (optional)

I recommend people pick variety of subjects e.g. a language, a scientific subject and a humanity (I'm a hypocrite; I didn't do this). The subject I hate is French (wouldn't recommend it unless you like it; it gets boring).

Yayyy mathsss!! Ahaha I love it tooooo:smile: I honestly LOVE french though:biggrin:
That's so cool! It's so rare to find people that love languages so I'm really happy to see that aha:smile: again, thank you so much for the help xx

Hahaha I know, TSR is mostly full of people complaining about having to do compulsory languages and hating them but I mean everyone for their own :wink: (just means there's less competition for us hehe) It's no problem! If you want to ask anything else feel free :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest