The Student Room Group

Independent or Dependent Variable

I am measuring Depression and Anxiety score in participants to see its relation with how many acts of anti-social behaviour the participant has committed!

Now I have got myself stressed and in a panic so I am doubting myself on which are the independent variables and if there is any...

Thanks for any help! Sorry if it sounds dumb!
Reply 1
I am currently seeing the possible link between depression and anxiety, in men and women, and how many anti social behaviour they have committed.

Depression and anxiety will be measure on likert scales, and then the sum total from this will be processed into SPSS.

Anti- Social behaviour (ASB) will be recorded via a 'yes' 'no' questionnaire, and then the sum total of how many ASB someone has partaken in will be recorded into spss

Whether the participant was male and female will be recorded also

I was wondering, what variables are which? Ie what is the DV IV and so on.
Original post by TracyRed
I am measuring Depression and Anxiety score in participants to see its relation with how many acts of anti-social behaviour the participant has committed!

Now I have got myself stressed and in a panic so I am doubting myself on which are the independent variables and if there is any...

Thanks for any help! Sorry if it sounds dumb!

Ah... the maths gets complex. The dependent (response) variable you are measuring is the number of acts, the independent is anything you want, whether it is a significant variable or not is something else.

I haven't done much modelling with stuff like that but your choices may be either a dummy variable to indicate depression, or some kind of measure of it if it exists, e.g. A scale of 1 to 10 the severity of their depression
Reply 3
I am currently seeing the possible link between depression and anxiety, in men and women, and how many anti social behaviour they have committed.

Depression and anxiety will be measure on likert scales, and then the sum total from this will be processed into SPSS.

Anti- Social behaviour (ASB) will be recorded via a 'yes' 'no' questionnaire, and then the sum total of how many ASB someone has partaken in will be recorded into spss

I was wondering, what variables are which? Ie what is the DV IV and so on.

Dependent variable is whether they have committed anti-social behaviour and the independent variable is if they have depression or anxiety, and potentially if they are a man or a woman if you find differences there too.
Reply 4
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
Ah... the maths gets complex. The dependent (response) variable you are measuring is the number of acts, the independent is anything you want, whether it is a significant variable or not is something else.

I haven't done much modelling with stuff like that but your choices may be either a dummy variable to indicate depression, or some kind of measure of it if it exists, e.g. A scale of 1 to 10 the severity of their depression

Depression and anxiety will be measured on likert scales, and then the sum total from this will be processed into SPSS for each participant.

Does this make it easier to identify which is which?
Reply 5
Original post by ruthflame57
Dependent variable is whether they have committed anti-social behaviour and the independent variable is if they have depression or anxiety, and potentially if they are a man or a woman if you find differences there too.

Thankyou SO much :biggrin:
There is really good rhyme for remembering the variables:

Independant is what you change
Dependant is what you measure
Control is what you keep the same
and I'll know this rhyme forever!

Hope it helps! :smile:

Depression and anxiety will be measured on likert scales, and then the sum total from this will be processed into SPSS for each participant.

Does this make it easier to identify which is which?

For you, yes. My post still holds :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending