The Student Room Group

My Battle To Beat The B's

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by m._.m
hi everyone!
I know this isn't directly related to this thread but I was wondering how the school decides your GCSE target grades (people told me that it was your SATS results that decide them but I moved to U.K. in year 9 so i didn't do my SATS)
my target grades are really low (they went from 8's to 5's and 6's in year 11 even though i continued to get the same grades I was getting before)
so, I'm a bit worried because i dont exactly know what the purpose of your target grades are (is it what the school thinks your capable grades are?) and im not sure if having low target grades will affect my GCSE grades? for example, a friend of mine who got the same grade as me in my english mocks (grade 5) has higher target grades (grade 8 ) while my target grade is 6. He was asked if he wanted extra support in english lit to raise his grades up. is that because the school is trying to get him to match his target grades? because i wasnt asked if i wanted any extra support, now i dont know if this is because the school doesnt care if i dont get above a six, as long as i get my target grades? i know im kind of ranting over here but im kind of confused.......

Don't worry your target grades don't really mean anything. it's all just based on your past work and how your teacher feels you're doing so if you have come from another school and have nothing for then to base your grades on they'll just out it down as a standard pass. just keeping working hard it's only an estimation.
Reply 41
that’s okay, good luck and keep going :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by mez_merising
ah how come?

Sorry for the slow reply. I've just and a change of heart I'm worried in 30 years time I'm gonna be sat behind a computer screen regretting my decision and I'm really interested in medicine so why not do a job that had new problems to face everyday and I know it's a cliche but I want to be able to help people
Reply 43
Original post by xoxcm
that’s okay, good luck and keep going :smile:

Thanks, I will.
I thinks it’s dumb to give people MEGS (minimum end grade) of eights (I have megs of 8 in all 10 GCSEs ) cause it’s so much pressure to get high grades Ugh why do they make it so stressfullll
Reply 45
Original post by DipdyeSpork
I thinks it’s dumb to give people MEGS (minimum end grade) of eights (I have megs of 8 in all 10 GCSEs ) cause it’s so much pressure to get high grades Ugh why do they make it so stressfullll

I think it's because they believe high target grades will motivate you more but if anything they put a lot of pressure on you.
Original post by Binksy10
I think it's because they believe high target grades will motivate you more but if anything they put a lot of pressure on you.

Yeah definitely
Reply 47
Hey guys,

Have you got any good study tips or guides on the best way to get yourself going?

I feel that a lot of the time, I start and end up extremely bored. Do you know of any ways to help me?

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 48
Original post by Frango
Hey guys,

Have you got any good study tips or guides on the best way to get yourself going?

I feel that a lot of the time, I start and end up extremely bored. Do you know of any ways to help me?

Thanks! :smile:

Hi Frango. make sure you keep taking breaks. do short bursts of revision, maybe a double page, then test yourself then take a break. also put the subjects you don't like at the start of the day so you have the more enjoyable subjects as rewards. Hope this helps
Reply 49
Hi Frango. make sure you keep taking breaks. do short bursts of revision, maybe a double page, then test yourself then take a break. also put the subjects you don't like at the start of the day so you have the more enjoyable subjects as rewards. Hope this helps

Yeah. I'm going to try this new method I just found (I'll put the link down so you can all see it)

I've never really thought of putting harder/annoying subjects first. It sounds like a really good idea for me since it means that I will be able to see light at the end of the tunnel haha.

The Pomodoro Technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNBmG24djoY
Reply 50
Original post by Frango
Yeah. I'm going to try this new method I just found (I'll put the link down so you can all see it)

I've never really thought of putting harder/annoying subjects first. It sounds like a really good idea for me since it means that I will be able to see light at the end of the tunnel haha.

The Pomodoro Technique: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNBmG24djoY

Thanks for what
Thanks for sharing that link. I just watched it and it's actually a really useful strategy.
Reply 51
Thanks for what
Thanks for sharing that link. I just watched it and it's actually a really useful strategy.

No bother! I just found it after posting here and so I thought I should share it.

I think it's useful to incorporate what you said into it too. Since usually what most people do is practice easier subjects first and then when they get on to boring subjects they just leave it and think that they've done enough for one day. (At least, that's what I usually do!)
Reply 52
Original post by Frango
No bother! I just found it after posting here and so I thought I should share it.

I think it's useful to incorporate what you said into it too. Since usually what most people do is practice easier subjects first and then when they get on to boring subjects they just leave it and think that they've done enough for one day. (At least, that's what I usually do!)

Yeah. I've set my revision timetable out differently. I've done it topic based rather than time based to make sure I cover everything before my exam

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending