The Student Room Group

Where to apply for Medicine

I’m currently in Year 12 doing Chem, Bio, Psychology. I’m hoping to apply to Med in 2019. MY GCSEs are quite weak 2 A*, 7A , 2B. I really want to apply to Leicester. Do you think I stand a chance with the gcses I have ?Ifnot where should I look at?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by slaybae
I’m currently in Year 12 doing Chem, Bio, Psychology. I’m hoping to apply to Med in 2019. MY GCSEs are quite weak 2 A*, 7A , 2B. I really want to apply to Leicester. Do you think I stand a chance with the gcses I have ?Ifnot where should I look at?

Also consider overseas. I am doing Biomedical Sciences and applying to Czech and Poland (all taught in English) but should have done so three years ago.
yes you have a chance, you need to apply to medical schools that arent gcse heavy and do well in your entrance tests
Reply 3
Original post by hello2906
yes you have a chance, you need to apply to medical schools that arent gcse heavy and do well in your entrance tests
can you recommend any unis? Is Leicester ok
Reply 4
Original post by medicalminded
Also consider overseas. I am doing Biomedical Sciences and applying to Czech and Poland (all taught in English) but should have done so three years ago.
not keen on overseas:frown:
wait till you do your UKCAT/BMAT and you'll have a better idea - even cambridge is an option if you work super hard from now!
Reply 6
Universities that perhaps weight GCSE's lightly would be a good idea: Imperial, Sheffield, Newcastle.
However, you do need to do well in the UKCAT/BMAT to compensate :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
You can retake English and Maths in 6th form if you want to improve your grades - just ask your school.
But as several people above have pointed out, its isnt GCSEs that will be the deal breaker - its A levels, UKCAT/BMAT and especially your PS, including mature motivation for Medicine, evidence of working with/empathy for people etc.

Lots of info here about Applying for Medicine : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine
Original post by slaybae

yes, you can apply, but you need to see the university if they are keen on GCSE's, you can apply through an agency, they have connections and experience in things like this, and they save you the work and headache, they do everything for you. I applied through an agency and I don't regret it. Good Luck :smile:
Original post by BF19
Universities that perhaps weight GCSE's lightly would be a good idea: Imperial, Sheffield, Newcastle, Hull-York.
However, you do need to do well in the UKCAT/BMAT to compensate :smile:

HYMS weight GCSEs heavily, when selecting for interview they only look at GCSEs and UKCAT so I definitely wouldn't look at applying there
Reply 10
Original post by JennLousie
HYMS weight GCSEs heavily, when selecting for interview they only look at GCSEs and UKCAT so I definitely wouldn't look at applying there

Sorry, I shall edit it out then. :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Myriam18
yes, you can apply, but you need to see the university if they are keen on GCSE's, you can apply through an agency, they have connections and experience in things like this, and they save you the work and headache, they do everything for you. I applied through an agency and I don't regret it. Good Luck :smile:
What agency did you apply through?
Original post by Myriam18
you can apply through an agency, they have connections and experience in things like this

No 'agency' will get you a place if you don't have the right qualifications or get you an offer ahead of anyone else.

And UK applicants dont apply through 'agencies'.
What??

Those GCSEs are good?
Original post by slaybae

I would also recommend Brighton and Sussex
Do your ukcat first. I got 3A*s at gcse and still got an interview at Leicester and an offer. I got 752.5 avg on the ukcat tho. As long as you do well on the bmat and ukcat you can still get into medicine.
Reply 16
Original post by hraaami
Do your ukcat first. I got 3A*s at gcse and still got an interview at Leicester and an offer. I got 752.5 avg on the ukcat tho. As long as you do well on the bmat and ukcat you can still get into medicine.
if u don’t mind me asking what was the year you applied in
Original post by slaybae
if u don’t mind me asking what was the year you applied in

I’m in year 13, so I just applied.
Reply 18
Apply to unis that don't look at GCSE's so much but look at UKCAT. If you nail your UKCAT and get 700+ for example it's likely that you'll recieve interviews from everywhere. Manchester is a good one to consider as they require 5a's/A*s and a UKCAT of 670+ and that guarantees you an interview. Just apply strategically and you'll be fine.
Original post by Volibear
I don't mean to be rude but how lazy do you have to be to do this? You're not applying abroad, you're applying in the UK and it's very easy to figure out what you need to do by just a quick Google search. You don't need to pay anyone to do this. This is probably going to be one of the easiest stages on the path to becoming a doctor.

Also, I assume you're talking about a UK med school application. Which 'agency' were you with then?

well I don't think it's OK to judge people being lazy, some people don't have time and I was out of the UK with my sick grandfather during that time. I was taking care of my grandad so I used an agency and they did everything for me and I got to spend more time with my grandad during his last days!! and I don't regret using this agency because they really were nice people and very friendly, they still talk to me every while to see if everything is ok. I applied through Medlink Students.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending