The Student Room Group

Which GCSEs are you choosing/did you choose?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tooschool4cool
Woah those grades are great!! What do you want to do at college/at uni/for a career?:smile:

Next year I’m doing Spanish, Psychology and Biology A levels at my sixth form. (Obviously depends on my gcse grades as I might change my mind) but this is my decision for the time being. Spanish is my absolute favourite subject, it is hard but I love it. Sociology I like and it is interesting but it’s jut boring now after you get over the hype it drags on abit. Career wise- no clue. Maybe do Spanish at uni, I’ve always wanted to work abroad or even be a spanish translator in an airport, or maybe in a hospital as I did want to work in a hospital however I wouldn’t want to do chemistry a level. If you’ve got any questions about any of these GCSEs feel free I would love to help :smile:
Original post by clouddbubbles
want to do medicine at university

english lit compulsory
english lang compulsory
maths compulsory
biology (triple science) compulsory
physics (triple science) compulsory
chemistry (triple science) compulsory
re compulsory
spanish taking a language is compulsory
history chosen
geography chosen
pe chosen

i’m currently in year 10 so i’ve done a few units of my gcses so far :yep:

if i don’t go into medicine, i’d like to do sports science or possibly look at childcare too but i’m hoping to do medicine! :love:

you can follow my journey on my gyg : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5015328

That's cool! My sister wants to do medicine and she has somewhat similar options to you:biggrin:
Yayyy mathsss!! Ahaha I love it tooooo:smile: I honestly LOVE french though:biggrin:

Maths is just a snack :smile:
French isn't for me xD I find it harder than FM A level and very hard to do well in it.
English literature (compulsory)
English language (compulsory)
Mathematics (compulsory)
Science double award (compulsory)
BTEC business studies (level 2) (chose)
German (chose)
Design technology: product design (chose)

For my a levels I’ve chose
German
Design
Music
BTEC business studies (level 3)
(German and design might clash so I may have to drop one)
Original post by Beth286
Next year I’m doing Spanish, Psychology and Biology A levels at my sixth form. (Obviously depends on my gcse grades as I might change my mind) but this is my decision for the time being. Spanish is my absolute favourite subject, it is hard but I love it. Sociology I like and it is interesting but it’s jut boring now after you get over the hype it drags on abit. Career wise- no clue. Maybe do Spanish at uni, I’ve always wanted to work abroad or even be a spanish translator in an airport, or maybe in a hospital as I did want to work in a hospital however I wouldn’t want to do chemistry a level. If you’ve got any questions about any of these GCSEs feel free I would love to help :smile:

Maths(compulsory)
Triple award science (compulsory)
History (optional)
Geography (optional)
French (optional)
Drama (optional)

I have no idea what I'm going to do in the future. I plan on maybe doing medicine or quantum physics at university however at this moment in time I am clueless.
I know they are a bit samey but they are my best subjects and I love them so much that I'm not going to change them! I know that I want to take them both to A-Level and possibly even degree, so yeah, I do want to keep them!! And my school encourages dual linguists as long as they are capable of doing well. Thanks, though:smile:

Yeah that's the right attitude :tongue: anyway if you're interested in languages then 2 languages won't do any harm. I'm sick of people's options being dictated by teachers, honestly it doesn't matter at all, only in some cases (like when the GCSE isn't accepted, if you're bad at it and will get a bad grade or if you aren't taking something you want for A-Level)
Original post by thekidwhogames
Maths is just a snack :smile:
French isn't for me xD I find it harder than FM A level and very hard to do well in it.

Woahhh you must be GOOD at maths! But yeah, I do love it🤗
Original post by Leena-Safa
Maths(compulsory)
Triple award science (compulsory)
History (optional)
Geography (optional)
French (optional)
Drama (optional)

I have no idea what I'm going to do in the future. I plan on maybe doing medicine or quantum physics at university however at this moment in time I am clueless.

Omg we're basically doing the same subjects! (Only I'm doing Spanish where you're doing History) that's so cool:smile:
Original post by mundosinfin
Yeah that's the right attitude :tongue: anyway if you're interested in languages then 2 languages won't do any harm. I'm sick of people's options being dictated by teachers, honestly it doesn't matter at all, only in some cases (like when the GCSE isn't accepted, if you're bad at it and will get a bad grade or if you aren't taking something you want for A-Level)

Yes I couldn't agree more!! My two languages are the subjects I have no doubts about AT ALL:smile:
Woahhh you must be GOOD at maths! But yeah, I do love it🤗

I just really like it and fair enough - I'm sure you're better than me at French; good luck in GCSEs!
Compulsory subjects
- English language; 9
- English literature; 9
- Mathematics; 8
- RE; A*
- Citizenship; A
- Biology; C
- Chemistry; C
- Physics; B

Options;
- Sociology; A
- History; A
- Art & Design B
Original post by thekidwhogames
I just really like it and fair enough - I'm sure you're better than me at French; good luck in GCSEs!

😂😂ahw don't be so hard on yourself - I'm sure you're good! Good luck to you too:smile:
Original post by mindlessthoughts
Compulsory subjects
- English language; 9
- English literature; 9
- Mathematics; 8
- RE; A*
- Citizenship; A
- Biology; C
- Chemistry; C
- Physics; B

Options;
- Sociology; A
- History; A
- Art & Design B

Woahhh!! Well done on English that's amazing!!!
Omg we're basically doing the same subjects! (Only I'm doing Spanish where you're doing History) that's so cool:smile:

Woah that's actually quite cool and weird because I actually did take Spanish before dropping it in place of French.
Woah that's actually quite cool and weird because I actually did take Spanish before dropping it in place of French.

Omg ahaha!! What made you drop Spanish?
Omg ahaha!! What made you drop Spanish?

I thought I'd enjoy it because it was new and I knew a little bit of Spanish, but after doing it for two weeks I just didn't enjoy it very much. I had secretly felt I had wanted to do French anyways and was glad I was able to experience what it was like

What do you enjoy about Spanish?
That's a lot of compulsory options! For me, only English Lit+Lang, Maths and Double
Science were compulsory and then you get either 5 options (where one is triple science, one is a humanity and another a language) or 4 (where one is a language and one is a humanity).

you're so lucky, i wish i could drop one of my subjects:frown:
I thought I'd enjoy it because it was new and I knew a little bit of Spanish, but after doing it for two weeks I just didn't enjoy it very much. I had secretly felt I had wanted to do French anyways and was glad I was able to experience what it was like

What do you enjoy about Spanish?

I'm not really sure, I just love languages, and I guess I like the grammar because I think it's quite easy and the sentence structure is more similar to English than French (although I know more French because I've been studying it a year longer) and I like the pronunciation - even if I still can't pronounce my r's ahah
Original post by entertainmyfaith
you're so lucky, i wish i could drop one of my subjects:frown:

Oh no!! Which would you drop?

Quick Reply

Latest