The Student Room Group

Medicine without Chemistry?

Hey guys,

I'm in Year 11 and I have to choose my A-Levels for next year. I really want to do medicine. The problem is that most universities need Biology, Chemistry and a third. I f***ing hate Chemistry though and I want the earliest excuse to drop it.
So really, my question is:
1) How is the Chemistry A-Level?
2) Are there any "good" universities (in London?) that don't require Chemistry?
3) Is it worth doing a subject I hate for 2 years to get my dream job?
4) What if I don't like the Chemistry A-Level because the new rule is that we can't drop subjects so if I don't like it I'm still going to have to do it all the way?

Thanks for the help :smile: :smile: :smile:
Not sure but from what I've heard I believe that you have to do chemistry for medicine... I'm sorry :wink: (meaning no, there aren't any unis that don't require it)
I don't know what it's like as I'm not doing it and would never, and yes I would say it's worth it but honestly it depends on the person.
Original post by mundosinfin
Not sure but from what I've heard I believe that you have to do chemistry for medicine... I'm sorry :wink: (meaning no, there aren't any unis that don't require it)
I don't know what it's like as I'm not doing it and would never, and yes I would say it's worth it but honestly it depends on the person.

Thanks :smile: It's a shame about the Chemistry requirement :frown:
Reply 3
1. It’s fine. Once you’re used to it, most people find it easy enough to get an A.

2. No. From memory, only UEA doesn’t require chemistry but you might want to check.

3. Yes, if you think you can get an A minimum

4. That’s not my problem.
Original post by S.G.
1. It’s fine. Once you’re used to it, most people find it easy enough to get an A.

2. No. From memory, only UEA doesn’t require chemistry but you might want to check.

3. Yes, if you think you can get an A minimum

4. That’s not my problem.

:smile:
1) Not the hardest imo. From the new GCSE it isn't that much of a step-up compared to how it was a while ago. If you're decent at maths and science in general then it really shouldn't be a problem - as long as you work hard. It doesn't require as much memorisation as biology or as much maths as physics - its somewhere in the middle.
2) Not afaik.
3) Yes. If you're serious about doing medicine just stick it out for 2 years. When it comes to applying you'll want to have as many options available - not doing chemistry will put you at a very big disadvantage.
4) Like I said, if you're serious about wanting to do medicine you shouldn't drop it.
Original post by TheEyeOfBaradDur
Hey guys,

I'm in Year 11 and I have to choose my A-Levels for next year. I really want to do medicine. The problem is that most universities need Biology, Chemistry and a third. I f***ing hate Chemistry though and I want the earliest excuse to drop it.
4) What if I don't like the Chemistry A-Level because the new rule is that we can't drop subjects so if I don't like it I'm still going to have to do it all the way?

Hi! I'm in year 12 at the moment and I'm doing chem, bio, spanish + EPQ and I'm wanting to eventually do medicine as well.

As an answer to you 1st question, I really enjoy chemistry at a-level. Some of the concepts are kinda hard to get your head round at first but it's definitely my favourite subject at the moment.

As far as London med schools go, I think they all require chem a-level (might have to check that but I'm pretty sure). Some of the unis a bit further afield like Keele don't require chem and bio:
'A levels in three subjects at grades of A*AA are required, including Biology or Chemistry plus another designated science subject (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths/Further Maths/Statistics) and a third academic subject.'

The 3rd question is one that only really you yourself can answer... how determined are you to do medicine and do you think that corresponds to how much you'd be willing to put up with doing a subject that you hate?

In my case at my school, we could choose our subjects and then change them around in the 2 week period that we began them. Not sure if that'd be the same with yours but you might have to ask and find out.

Hope this helps and if you've got any other questions, quote this and I'll try and get back as quick as I can :biggrin:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by angelike1
1) Not the hardest imo. From the new GCSE it isn't that much of a step-up compared to how it was a while ago. If you're decent at maths and science in general then it really shouldn't be a problem - as long as you work hard. It doesn't require as much memorisation as biology or as much maths as physics - its somewhere in the middle.
2) Not afaik.
3) Yes. If you're serious about doing medicine just stick it out for 2 years. When it comes to applying you'll want to have as many options available - not doing chemistry will put you at a very big disadvantage.
4) Like I said, if you're serious about wanting to do medicine you shouldn't drop it.

Thanks! :smile:
Original post by TODTEMPLE01
Hi! I'm in year 12 at the moment and I'm doing chem, bio, spanish + EPQ and I'm wanting to eventually do medicine as well.

As an answer to you 1st question, I really enjoy chemistry at a-level. Some of the concepts are kinda hard to get your head round at first but it's definitely my favourite subject at the moment.

As far as London med schools go, I think they all require chem a-level (might have to check that but I'm pretty sure). Some of the unis a bit further afield like Keele don't require chem and bio:
'A levels in three subjects at grades of A*AA are required, including Biology or Chemistry plus another designated science subject (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths/Further Maths/Statistics) and a third academic subject.'

The 3rd question is one that only really you yourself can answer... how determined are you to do medicine and do you think that corresponds to how much you'd be willing to put up with doing a subject that you hate.

In my case at my school, we could choose our subjects and then change them around in the 2 week period that we begin them. Not sure if that'd be the same with yours but you might have to ask and find out.

Hope this helps and if you've got any other questions, quote this and I'll try and get back as quick as I can :biggrin:

Thanks a lot dude.
Reply 9
Chemistry is the only required subject for the vast majority of Medical Schools. The problem solving skills learned in the subject translate nicely into medicine.

It requires both a solid theoretical and practical understanding to succeed in it. Where as Maths is largely theory (with practical applications) and Physics leans more the theory side at A level.

Chemistry also overlaps directly in places. Medicine also makes use of the 'mole' quite a bit (millimoles), MRI is essentially applied NMR and you won't understand how blood pH is maintained at a constant if you don't understand the Carbonic acid buffer system, making use of Le Chatelier's principle. Most of the biochemistry and enzymology in medicine is applied Organic Chemistry and kinetics that are learned at A level.

It has transferable skills, is very difficult and overlaps nicely with Medicine.

Biology is usually the other subject to take at A level, however it's an easy subject to pick up, where as Chemistry is not. Also involves a lot more memorisation, instead of critical thinking.

Chemistry separates the good from the average at A level.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by _NMcC_
Chemistry is the only required subject for the vast majority of Medical Schools. The problem solving skills learned in the subject translate nicely into medicine.

Chemistry requires both a solid theoretical and practical understanding to succeed in it. Where as Maths is largely theory (with practical applications) and Physics leans more the theory side at A level.

Chemistry also overlaps directly in places. Medicine also makes use of the 'mole' quite a bit (millimoles), MRI is essentially applied NMR and you won't understand how blood pH is maintained at a constant if you don't understand the Carbonic acid buffer system, making use of Le Chatelier's principle.

Chemistry has transferable skills, is very difficult and overlaps nicely with Medicine.

Biology is usually the other subject to take at A level, however it's an easy subject to pick up, where as Chemistry is not. Also involves a lot more memorisation, instead of critical thinking.

Chemistry separates the good from the average at A level.

Ok thanks!
As far as A-level chemistry I came out of triple science with A’s in all three... absolutely loved it at GCSE and immediately hated it at A-level. Put up with it for 5 weeks and I got fed up and dropped it. But I know many that enjoyed chemistry at gcse and still enjoy it at A-level. I’d suggest you try it and see how it goes, if you end up enjoying it then great but I wouldn’t suggest you try and force yourself to do it because you will have no motivation for the subject and it’ll constantly bring you down.
Hey guys,

I’m sorry but I study an allied course and you really can’t get away from Chemistry! Most of the medicine and similar courses rely heavily on chemistry knowledge, which means you’ll continue studying it as part of the course and it will be a requirement for entry!
If you don’t like chemistry, then I’m not sure medicine is for you 😕
if you really hate chemistry that much, then would you actually enjoy studying medicine??
Hey guys,

1) It's fine
2) lol I'm sick of seeing this concept of good medicine universities. But there are very few unis that don't require chemistry, which is the reason why it is recommended. Off the top of my head, unis that don't require chemistry include UEA and Barts.
3) What's two years for a vocation that lasts a lifetime?
4) Probably.
Reply 15
Original post by asia pesaro
if you really hate chemistry that much, then would you actually enjoy studying medicine??

What makes you say that?
I think Queen Mary’s (Barts) require “biology or chemistry”.
However there are perhaps around 3 or 4medical schools max which you could get into without chemistry. Whilst you may be able to get away with not doing biology, you can’t really get away with not doing chemistry.
If you really want to do medicine, I urge you to pick it. I myself was not the biggest fan of chemistry at GCSE. However now as an A2 student (who’s applied for medicine), chemistry is by far my favourite subject.
Hey guys,

1. V hard
2. No
3. Yes
4. Medicine barely has any chemistry so just take another 2 years of it.
Original post by chelseafc141
I think Queen Mary’s (Barts) require “biology or chemistry”.
However there are perhaps around 3 or 4medical schools max which you could get into without chemistry. Whilst you may be able to get away with not doing biology, you can’t really get away with not doing chemistry.
If you really want to do medicine, I urge you to pick it. I myself was not the biggest fan of chemistry at GCSE. However now as an A2 student (who’s applied for medicine), chemistry is by far my favourite subject.

Ok that's really cool, thanks! And yeah, my brother went to Barts (not to do medicine) but he says Barts doesn't necessarily need chemistry.
Thanks

Latest

Trending

Trending