The Student Room Group

Need help with this geography question

So my teacher gave me this questions to answer:
Asses the significance of prediction to minimize loss compared to management strategies from tectonic hazards (12 marks)

Now I don't really know how to answer this as I can only come up with a few points but don't know how to develop them to get all the 12 marks, the book isn't really helping, anyone who does A level Geography(Edexcel preferably) know how to answer this?
Hi this is the 12 mark question I did for this exam board for AS last year in summer.
I talked about how easy prediction is for different hazards (eg earthquakes can only be spatially predicted which is really useful etc but can’t be temporally predicted, then explain the same for volcanoes and tsunamis). Then also talk about why prediction might not be the most important factor and its limitations.
Reply 2
Original post by lcschofield
Hi this is the 12 mark question I did for this exam board for AS last year in summer.
I talked about how easy prediction is for different hazards (eg earthquakes can only be spatially predicted which is really useful etc but can’t be temporally predicted, then explain the same for volcanoes and tsunamis). Then also talk about why prediction might not be the most important factor and its limitations.

Which exam baord was this?
Original post by The RAR
Which exam baord was this?

Edexcel, it was in my mocks last week.
Yeah it was in edexcel’s AS last year which I did last summer
Reply 5
Original post by lcschofield
Yeah it was in edexcel’s AS last year which I did last summer

But this was the question asked last year
It seems very different to the question our teacher gave us
Attachment not found
(edited 6 years ago)
You would want to state a prediction method such as volcano monitoring, then you want to give an example- use one of your case studies, then you want to explain how it helps, so volcano monitoring allows for geologists to see if there is any fumarole activity or escaping gases which signal an impending eruption, by relating it to a case study, like bring in a poor country who was not prepared and some facts about the disaster and then conclude by saying how important prediction is. Do this about 3-4 times and you can score pretty high marks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending