The Student Room Group

2013 Ford Fiesta Titanium 1.0 Petrol v 2015 Citroen DS3 1.6 Diesel

Basically went browsing earlier today and liked the look of these cars. Going to test drive both sometime in the upcoming week.

Was just looking for opinions on what everyone thinks is a better option to give me some opinions on both of these prior to the test drive.

Don’t get too bogged down regarding a difference in price, they’re both affordable (including insurance).

Bit of background: Won’t be doing much motorway driving but would be often driving on single/dual carriageways given I am working around 15 - 20 miles from home.

Thanks in advance!
If you put any car against a Citroen I'm going to choose whatever that car is every time (even though the Fiesta is actually the better car anyway).

Next time make us choose between a Corsa and a Citroen, make things more interesting.
Original post by nevershear
If you put any car against a Citroen I'm going to choose whatever that car is every time (even though the Fiesta is actually the better car anyway).

Next time make us choose between a Corsa and a Citroen, make things more interesting.

Are you ever actually off this forum mate? You seem to post on any topic about cars to bad mouth Corsa’s. :laugh:
Original post by accountant-future
Are you ever actually off this forum mate? You seem to post on any topic about cars to bad mouth Corsa’s. :laugh:

I wear a shock collar that triggers anytime anyone mentions "Black Box" "Corsa" "Fronting" "Citroen" or "Renault" in this section.
I wear a shock collar that triggers anytime anyone mentions "Black Box" "Corsa" "Fronting" "Citroen" or "Renault" in this section.

What’s your opinion on black box insurance then? Insurance looks around £800-£1,000 cheaper for some quotes using it...
What’s your opinion on black box insurance then? Insurance looks around £800-£1,000 cheaper for some quotes using it...

This will be the opinion of about 90% of the section - pay the extra £1000 or pick a different car with less of a difference. I can replace the £1000, I can't get a cancellation off my policy if it ends in tears.
Basically went browsing earlier today and liked the look of these cars. Going to test drive both sometime in the upcoming week.

Was just looking for opinions on what everyone thinks is a better option to give me some opinions on both of these prior to the test drive.

Don’t get too bogged down regarding a difference in price, they’re both affordable (including insurance).

Bit of background: Won’t be doing much motorway driving but would be often driving on single/dual carriageways given I am working around 15 - 20 miles from home.

Thanks in advance!

A friend of mine has a 1.0L Polo (around 65bhp) and as you can guess, it struggles on dual carriageways. Something he always complains about. I've seen 1L turbocharged engines (124bhp or around that number) which are probably worth a look if you really want a 1L (but insurance will probably be high).

As for the 1.6 diesel, unless you plan on going on motorways regularly it's not worth it.

I'd go for a 1.4L Petrol, maybe Corsa or something at that level. It's cheap enough to run and will be more than capable on dual carriageways and even motorways.
Original post by Optimum_
A friend of mine has a 1.0L Polo (around 65bhp) and as you can guess, it struggles on dual carriageways. Something he always complains about. I've seen 1L turbocharged engines (124bhp or around that number) which are probably worth a look if you really want a 1L (but insurance will probably be high).

As for the 1.6 diesel, unless you plan on going on motorways regularly it's not worth it.

I'd go for a 1.4L Petrol, maybe Corsa or something at that level. It's cheap enough to run and will be more than capable on dual carriageways and even motorways.

1l turbos used to be a good way to circumvent cheap premiums as they were treated as standard 1l engines (my opinion mostly, anyway). They've mostly caught onto this as a 140bhp 1.0 fiesta is equivelant to the power of a naturally aspirant 1.6, but it's still cheaper than actually trying to ensure a 1.6l car.
Reply 8
I had a 1 litre ecoboost in a fiesta hire car a couple of weeks ago. It was absolutely gutless and no amount of revving or thrashing made it feel fast or accelerate quickly, much worse over 40mph. Heated seats were good though!
As for your options, anything that isn't the french option every time. Focus is nice enough and parts are cheap (compared to german options at any rate). Neighbour has a 17 plate DS3 as his car as a driving instructor, one of the ugliest things I've had the misfortune of laying my eyes on.
1l turbos used to be a good way to circumvent cheap premiums as they were treated as standard 1l engines (my opinion mostly, anyway). They've mostly caught onto this as a 140bhp 1.0 fiesta is equivelant to the power of a naturally aspirant 1.6, but it's still cheaper than actually trying to ensure a 1.6l car.

I'm quite surprised, I would have assumed the insurance company would look at the power of both engines and realise there isn't a big difference.
Just doing a bit of reading and a Seat Ateca 1.6 diesel has the same bhp and top speed as its 1L turbo equivalent. Have a read:

https://www.cars2.co.uk/1-litre-turbo-vs-diesel/
This will be the opinion of about 90% of the section - pay the extra £1000 or pick a different car with less of a difference. I can replace the £1000, I can't get a cancellation off my policy if it ends in tears.

PRSOM

I wear a shock collar that triggers anytime anyone mentions "Black Box" "Fronting" "Citroen" "1.2 Corsa's" "Peugeots" "Fiat 500" "Is my new 2018 BWM X5 a good car for a 17 year old" or "Renault" in this section.

Better :biggrin: @IWMTom

Thanks in advance!

Have you not thought of getting any other cars, IMO they're both trash cars. One is underpowered, and the other looks hideous.

Thought of a Polo perhaps?
Original post by RoyalSheepy
PRSOM

Better :biggrin: @IWMTom

Have you not thought of getting any other cars, IMO they're both trash cars. One is underpowered, and the other looks hideous.

Thought of a Polo perhaps?

Open to suggestions, other reviews of those two online seem to be very positive (especially the fiesta) bar this forum.

I mean it all depends on what I like to drive in really, was just looking for opinions on the specs/power.

Didn’t quite work out that way, it’s so far been ‘too small an engine’ or ‘French’. :laugh:
Original post by dhr90
I had a 1 litre ecoboost in a fiesta hire car a couple of weeks ago. It was absolutely gutless and no amount of revving or thrashing made it feel fast or accelerate quickly, much worse over 40mph. Heated seats were good though!

Really? I have a 1l st-line and it is hella nippy. I don't have heated seats though :frown: But yeah it tears it's way up to 60-70 before it needs a bit of help, either you had one of the weaker engines or you're just used to something much more powerful
Reply 13
Really? I have a 1l st-line and it is hella nippy. I don't have heated seats though :frown: But yeah it tears it's way up to 60-70 before it needs a bit of help, either you had one of the weaker engines or you're just used to something much more powerful

Could be it was a low power model, but I would not describe it in any way as 'tears its way up to 60-70'. I am used to 150bhp from a 1.8 turbo though :redface:
Original post by dhr90
Could be it was a low power model, but I would not describe it in any way as 'tears its way up to 60-70'. I am used to 150bhp from a 1.8 turbo though :redface:

I have the 140bhp, but it comes from a 1l boosted engine so ye, the feeling of power is going to be miles different lol.

Thanks in advance!

The Fiesta
Reply 16
I have the 140bhp, but it comes from a 1l boosted engine so ye, the feeling of power is going to be miles different lol.

That'll be why then! Through a bit of thrashing due to it being slow (and my not having to foot the fuel bill) I only managed 90 miles from 3/8 of a tank. I'd cry if I only managed that from my car!
Go for the ford!
Reply 18
Ignore the haters. I drove the Citroen DS3 1.6 Diesel when I was learning to drive. I can't remember exactly what trim it was, but it was a sports model. It was actually an incredibly fun car to drive with lots of high quality equipment options.

As for the Fiesta, I would find the standard 1.0L models (unless it's the EcoBoost) to be too underpowered.

Natural instinct would still be to choose the Fiesta over the Citreon, but it entirely depends on what spec you go with. Both cars have a huge range of options.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending