The Student Room Group

Head Girl

Our school has now started accepting applications for Prefects, Senior Prefects and Head Boy/Girl. I know that I definitely want to apply to be a prefect but don’t know about being head girl. I am a confident person but don’t particularly enjoy speaking in front of people. Would anyone be able to give advice on what they think I should do and whether I should just stop worrying and go for it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I was offered to be a prefect back in year 11 but declined the offer because being a prefect is a rip off really, the school makes you do half of their work for free basically, that badge you get to wear isn't worth a bag of ****
Thanks for your opinion/advice, I’m definitely gonna think about it more
I was once a head girl.
How did you find it?
Original post by xmollybennettx
How did you find it?

Quote me por favor. I'm actually a boy, so i didn't really find it anything xD
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
How did you find it?

none of that prefect stuff is worth it just focus on your exams.
Original post by yusyus
none of that prefect stuff is worth it just focus on your exams.

None of the head boy/girl team from my school got Oxbridge. My school is usually a large contributer of Oxbridge students, so says something about becoming a Head boy/girl... It doesn't help much.
Reply 8
Original post by jsk800
None of the head boy/girl team from my school got Oxbridge. My school is usually a large contributer of Oxbridge students, so says something about becoming a Head boy/girl... It doesn't help much.

yup and honestly I can't see it affecting an application at all; if you do decide to write it in your ps its probably gonna be less than a line at the end and im sure unis wont care about it
Original post by yusyus
yup and honestly I can't see it affecting an application at all; if you do decide to write it in your ps its probably gonna be less than a line at the end and im sure unis wont care about it

Thanks for the input, think I’ll just fill the prefect form in and let it be
Original post by jsk800

Ahaha fair enough
Original post by jsk800

Ahh I see, thanks a lot
Original post by yusyus

I think they would prefer someone who is interested in the course, over a head of whatever.
Reply 12
Thanks for the input, think I’ll just fill the prefect form in and let it be

honestly I wouldn't do that either but it depends on what you have to do as a prefect. tbh its up to you anyway good luck in whatever you choose
Honestly just go for it, you might regret it if you don’t. At least you can say you did it if you don’t get it (which I highly doubt :smile: )
Original post by jsk800

Ahaha fair enough
Original post by jsk800

Ahh I see, thanks a lot
Original post by Laurenstaa
Honestly just go for it, you might regret it if you don’t. At least you can say you did it if you don’t get it (which I highly doubt :smile: )

That’s what I was thinking, thanks so much
Original post by yusyus
honestly I wouldn't do that either but it depends on what you have to do as a prefect. tbh its up to you anyway good luck in whatever you choose

Thank you
That’s what I was thinking, thanks so much

No worries, I hope it goes well!
Original post by jsk800
I think they would prefer someone who is interested in the course, over a head of whatever.

Yeah I get you, thank you
I'm a current HG and I'd say it's probably a really good idea to go for it. It did end up in my personal statement and it's been in every work experience and degree apprenticeship application I've put in. For me, it's been really useful because I've been googled a few times by potential employers and that's one of the things that shows up, as well as providing a talking point as part of my CV.

Quite honestly, I love public speaking, and giving a speech was part of the application process, but as soon as I got the post every speech I've given since has been written on a piece of paper and all I've had to do is read. If you're scared of public speaking or don't think you're very good, still apply because it'll be an opportunity for you to hopefully overcome those fears.

Quick Reply

Latest