The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
Seriously anyone?
Reply 3
I imagine the book itself covers the Foundation course, rather than specifically going over everything you did at KS1 2 and 3

However if what you mean is, if you revise from this book do you also need to revise everything you did at KS1 2 and 3, then the answer is no. This book will be enough.
Reply 4
Original post by phys981
I imagine the book itself covers the Foundation course, rather than specifically going over everything you did at KS1 2 and 3

However if what you mean is, if you revise from this book do you also need to revise everything you did at KS1 2 and 3, then the answer is no. This book will be enough.

The issue is I didn't do key stage 2 and 3 due to private and unfortunate reasons same reason as to why I didn't do my gcse's when I was younger.

I need to more sure I have the basics down to tackle foundation and higher tier, will these books cover enough of key stage 2 and 3? Or should I get key stage 2, 3 specific books?
Reply 5
No.

You only 'need' KS 2 and 3 for the base it provides to your maths. If you can manage everything in this foundation book, that means you already have that base.

Only if there are things in this book you can't do because of the lack of prior knowledge should you worry about Ks2 and 3 - but that's v unlikely.
As someone who's done both foundation and higher maths I'd say the former consists of lots of KS2/KS3 topics like adding, shapes, multiplication and simple equations
Reply 7
Original post by rickyrossman
As someone who's done both foundation and higher maths I'd say the former consists of lots of KS2/KS3 topics like adding, shapes, multiplication and simple equations

What is foundation missing that is only covered in key stage 2 and 3?
Reply 8
Anyone?
Reply 9
bump
Nothing that you need to pass Foundation. If you're determined to find something you might be missing from ks3, it might be just some arithmetic skills, how to add/subtract/multiply/divde without a calculator. You might be great with that, I don't know but in terms of actual knowledge, everything will be covered in the Foundation course.

In fact, if you use a typical KS3 maths course, you will find that some of it even goes beyond what you need at Foundation.
Reply 11
Original post by phys981
Nothing that you need to pass Foundation. If you're determined to find something you might be missing from ks3, it might be just some arithmetic skills, how to add/subtract/multiply/divde without a calculator. You might be great with that, I don't know but in terms of actual knowledge, everything will be covered in the Foundation course.

In fact, if you use a typical KS3 maths course, you will find that some of it even goes beyond what you need at Foundation.

The thing is I'm currently on a higher tier maths course and as I've been on it I realise there are gaps where I know nothing of it because I don't know the basics of it, I don't want to just pass I want the top marks and that means learning all the basics.
But you're asking about foundation.

There's a big difference between foundation and higher.

Have you bought the foundation books to help with the higher?
Reply 13
Original post by phys981
But you're asking about foundation.

There's a big difference between foundation and higher.

Have you bought the foundation books to help with the higher?

Yes I already have higher tier books last September and have bought the foundation books yesterday, still waiting on delivery. The reason is because I pretty much missed years of school which is the reason for my gap in knowledge and why I am struggling with higher tier.
To be honest, I think KS3 books might have been a better idea than foundation as they go beyond what's required at Foundation and mght be a better preparation for the higher stuff.

The foundation books will help you with the real basics but be prepared to find a real gulf between Foundation and Higher.
Reply 15
Original post by phys981
To be honest, I think KS3 books might have been a better idea than foundation as they go beyond what's required at Foundation and mght be a better preparation for the higher stuff.

The foundation books will help you with the real basics but be prepared to find a real gulf between Foundation and Higher.

Are these any good?

Year 7: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maths-Year-Workbook-Collins-Revision/dp/0007562667/ref=pd_cp_14_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JENVQVBW76T8QE6P020D

Year 8: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maths-Year-Workbook-Collins-Revision/dp/0007562675/ref=pd_cp_14_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JENVQVBW76T8QE6P020D

Year 9: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maths-Year-Workbook-Collins-Revision/dp/0007562683/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1518988625&sr=8-13&keywords=collins+key+stage+3+maths

After this Year 10 and Year 11 are GCSE Foundation/Higher aren't they?
I haven't seen those books, but they look to be practice books, ie with no explanations and help in them. Real text books tend to be more expensive than the practice books, workbooks etc. However you could always buy older versions - maths doesn't change and the content of the syllabus doesn't change significantly so even an old textbook would give you enough help to bridge the gap.

What about this? It seems to combine decent explanations with a bit of practice. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maths-Complete-Study-Practice-Online/dp/1841463833/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1518990019&sr=1-1&keywords=ks3+maths
Reply 17
Original post by phys981
I haven't seen those books, but they look to be practice books, ie with no explanations and help in them. Real text books tend to be more expensive than the practice books, workbooks etc. However you could always buy older versions - maths doesn't change and the content of the syllabus doesn't change significantly so even an old textbook would give you enough help to bridge the gap.

What about this? It seems to combine decent explanations with a bit of practice. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maths-Complete-Study-Practice-Online/dp/1841463833/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1518990019&sr=1-1&keywords=ks3+maths

That's what I am looking for but from Collins to keep it consistent with my 2010 foundation tier and higher tier gcse books that my teacher wanted us to get since the newer ones do not have answers to the questions and therefore difficult for self study.

If this has answers to the questions then this should be good enough provided there isn't any differences between CGP and Collins, what about Key Stage 2 version of this?
I don't think you'll need the KS2 one. According to the contents list it does come with answers.

There shouldn't be significant differences between the CGP and Collins, after all, you're just looking for something to help you fill any gaps so that you can do the work in your higher book.
Reply 19
Original post by phys981
I don't think you'll need the KS2 one. According to the contents list it does come with answers.

There shouldn't be significant differences between the CGP and Collins, after all, you're just looking for something to help you fill any gaps so that you can do the work in your higher book.

Would I be missing anything by skipping KS2? Would all of KS2 be covered in KS3 of this book?

Quick Reply

Latest