The Student Room Group

Will my CV look weak if ....

My parents think my CV may look 'weak' if I drop French GCSE, would dropping French massively effect me later on in life?? Is it going to restrict me from certain things? etc
:laugh: :laugh::laugh:
:laugh::laugh:

you won't even put gcses on your cv when you've got work experience.
Nope your parents are wrong.
Original post by rickyrossman

ahaha lets hope so
okay thats good to know, yeh not doing anything to do with languages
No but some unis want a language so if French is your only language then might limit some options
No
Reply 7
Original post by rickyrossman

Don't you believe it. I graduated more years ago than i care to remember and still occasionally find an application form which asks me to list all of my qualifications back to GCSE. Really.

And to list all previous work experience, including while at school and including voluntary work.

I also know of people who, despite having years of work experience, have still been asked to produce GCSE certiificates.
(edited 6 years ago)
In which case it shouldn’t make a difference as other have said
Having spoken to my brothers who are 27 and 25, they said at their most recent job interviews they weren't even asked about A Levels. Just their most recent job.
My older brother said GCSEs mean absolutely nothing past university, if that (unless perhaps if you're going for Oxbridge...)
HOWEVER
There is ONE UNIVERSITY (I'M SO SORRY CANNOT REMEMBER WHICH) THAT REQUIRES ONE LANGUAGE AT GCSE TO STUDY THERE. I THINK IT IS LSE BUT PLEASE LOOK IT UP BEFORE YOU DECIDE.
I would doubt it matters unless you want to go to one of the 'top' universities. If this is the case, I am told that having the English Baccalaureate (maths, english, sciences, a language and a humanity) is useful, and having as many GCSEs as possible is good, but even for 'top' unis you don't need more than 10. However, if you think that continuing it will harm your grades in other subjects I would say definitely drop it + no one will know on your cv that you dropped it.
There are only 2 GCSEs that matter, English and maths

After A Levels people don't care about your other GCSEs
Are you doing any other languages? Realistically speaking, not having a GCSE in French is unlikely to have any serious impact on your CV but I do think there is a lot of value in studying another language. So I would encourage you to think twice before dropping it, because you never know when another language might come in use.
Original post by bluebells1
Having spoken to my brothers who are 27 and 25, they said at their most recent job interviews they weren't even asked about A Levels. Just their most recent job.
My older brother said GCSEs mean absolutely nothing past university, if that (unless perhaps if you're going for Oxbridge...)
HOWEVER
There is ONE UNIVERSITY (I'M SO SORRY CANNOT REMEMBER WHICH) THAT REQUIRES ONE LANGUAGE AT GCSE TO STUDY THERE. I THINK IT IS LSE BUT PLEASE LOOK IT UP BEFORE YOU DECIDE.

It's UCL isn't it?
Original post by sanibonani
It's UCL isn't it?

It is indeed.

Quick Reply

Latest