The Student Room Group

Why do i never hear back after i apply for jobs?

I applied to Macdonalds, KFC, Tescos etc and its been months and i never heard anything back from anyone except one employer and that was a rejection, BUT it was at least something.

I been told my CV is good so why? is this normal?
Original post by Terminator01
I applied to Macdonalds, KFC, Tescos etc and its been months and i never heard anything back from anyone except one employer and that was a rejection, BUT it was at least something.

Yes, entirely normal. You are applying to very high turnover, bulk employers. They don't usually give any feedback or rejection emails.

If you aren't getting invited to interview, then your CV isn't as good as you think, because it's not proving competitive at the filter stage.
Reply 2
It happens, it took me 2 years of continuous looking to land a decent part time job. The key is consistency and if you don’t hear back after a while then it’s time to tweak your cv here and there and change your strategy. Do you have previous experience? Have you tried an agency? That’s a good place to start if you’re struggling.
Original post by threeportdrift
Yes, entirely normal. You are applying to very high turnover, bulk employers. They don't usually give any feedback or rejection emails.

If you aren't getting invited to interview, then your CV isn't as good as you think, because it's not proving competitive at the filter stage.

I have 1 week work experience on there. Should i put that off my CV? i hheard it makes me look bad.
Original post by storm95
It happens, it took me 2 years of continuous looking to land a decent part time job. The key is consistency and if you don’t hear back after a while then it’s time to tweak your cv here and there and change your strategy. Do you have previous experience? Have you tried an agency? That’s a good place to start if you’re struggling.

I am working at a warehouse since early Jan.

Are companies more likely to reply about inquirys about work experience?
I have 1 week work experience on there. Should i put that off my CV? i hheard it makes me look bad.

Anything that indicates you have relevant skills or experience is good. Anything just padding things out is bad (random lists of skills, listing every GCSE by subject etc).
Original post by threeportdrift
Anything that indicates you have relevant skills or experience is good. Anything just padding things out is bad (random lists of skills, listing every GCSE by subject etc).

It is a basic warehouse job.

I also have good volunteering on my CV.

I do not understand how it is possible they wont even interview me.

Hi there,

Although very frustrating to those applying for these jobs it is quite normal not to hear back from employers if you have not been successful at the application stage.

It's also not unheard of for large employers to receive hundreds of applications for just 1 position, it can be time consuming for them to go through every application.

Try not to get too disheartened, persistence is key when it comes to applying for jobs. The National Careers Service is here on Student Room to help wherever we can if you have any questions or need further support.

Thanks,

Sophie - National Careers Service Team
It is a basic warehouse job.

I also have good volunteering on my CV.

I do not understand how it is possible they wont even interview me.

So are you giving good evidence of warehouse skills? Employers don't operate a lottery, the choose the applicant that has shown the strongest evidence of being able to do the job.

Is your volunteering relevant to the job in any way?

They won't interview you if you aren't in the top 3-6 most competitive applicants

You are not doing anything wrong, it is definitely normal when applying for jobs.
Every company receives over 100 applications for 1 position when they advertise it.

Despite being told that your CV is good, the possible and most likely reason why you haven't heard anything back is because they have found a candidate that has more suitable skills and experience than yourself.
As harsh as that sounds, unfortunately it's the true reality called competition; where everyone applies for one job but that one person needs to excel in 'everything' (particularly in the interview!) to get the job itself. :sadnod:

I suggest and recommend that you tailor your CV to each company and the job they advertise.
Look at their job specification (where they specify what skills and experience they need for the role) and say what skills you have that matches them and give examples of how you developed and used each skills.
That way they know you are suitable for the position.

If the issue is the lack of experience, I also suggest you look for internships and volunteer roles.
Not only will it help you gain that important experience, but you will also gain transferable skills as well which is what employers look for.
Also - not to mention that it looks good on your CV too! 😊
(edited 6 years ago)

It depends how your work experience is shown on your CV. You're obvs not gonna have a huge amount of work experience when you're sttudying as well, but if you change your work experience 'bit' on your CV to be about 'skills you learned/developed' during that time, that would look better on your CV I think.
Original post by National Careers Service
Hi there,

Although very frustrating to those applying for these jobs it is quite normal not to hear back from employers if you have not been successful at the application stage.

It's also not unheard of for large employers to receive hundreds of applications for just 1 position, it can be time consuming for them to go through every application.

Try not to get too disheartened, persistence is key when it comes to applying for jobs. The National Careers Service is here on Student Room to help wherever we can if you have any questions or need further support.

Thanks,

Sophie - National Careers Service Team

I agree.
Your best bet is to keep applying to jobs.
Original post by manyaray

NIce advert for Norfolk Jobs - you are obviously doing work experience there. You've swallowed their marketing blurb very well, but that's not actually how recruitment works. You can strip the human element out all you like, but it doesn't make the end result any better at all, because an employee has to fit with other humans in the company.

These bulk gatherers of jobs also make is easier to find opportunities, but much harder to win a job. This is because increase potential applicant numbers, but they make it much, much harder for a young person with little experience to stand out. So they might be considered for lots of roles, but only in a pool of 200 others, and 'considered' doesn't mean the employer gets to see their CV, it just means the computer filtered them on a random word, not that they were in serious contention.

I think you have to update your resume and remove mistakes from it,
Do check this article to do that.

Click here : 9 Things You Should Remove From Resume in 2018

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending