The Student Room Group

Geography AS Edexcel key case studies and info to get an A on exams

Hi guys
I was wondering if anyone could give me any feedback on roughly what i would need to get an A in AS level geography, such as specific required case studies and key knowledge.
Thanks
I am currently doing A level Geography and sat the AS exam last year, getting a fairly solid A grade (supposed to be revising for my mocks but oh well) and the best thing I can say is use the specification. Worship it. It tells you exactly what you need to know, and gives examples for case studies to look into for each point. Make sure you have points on the case studies that exactly match the marking points on the specification.

I am literally using it right now - it really solidifies my knowledge. I will go through each marking point on the specification and say everything I know (and do this every now and then). If I struggle, I go to the textbook to re-teach it to myself. This saves time and effort and makes me confident I am learning the right stuff.

For case studies, just read the marking points and where it has an icon of a globe, that is a case study example. If you don't have the facts already, research them that would help you answer a question exactly like that point on the mark scheme.

Link (if you are doing the same qualification): http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/geography-2016.html
Reply 2
Thank you for such a quick reply i'm in a bit of a panic over Geography and ideally I need an A, I'll start working on past papers and checking the specification now as well as solidifying important knowledge.
Reply 3
Original post by LucasLopes
Thank you for such a quick reply i'm in a bit of a panic over Geography and ideally I need an A, I'll start working on past papers and checking the specification now as well as solidifying important knowledge.

But there are no past papers for this new spec
Reply 4
Original post by Unadjectivable
I am currently doing A level Geography and sat the AS exam last year, getting a fairly solid A grade (supposed to be revising for my mocks but oh well) and the best thing I can say is use the specification. Worship it. It tells you exactly what you need to know, and gives examples for case studies to look into for each point. Make sure you have points on the case studies that exactly match the marking points on the specification.

I am literally using it right now - it really solidifies my knowledge. I will go through each marking point on the specification and say everything I know (and do this every now and then). If I struggle, I go to the textbook to re-teach it to myself. This saves time and effort and makes me confident I am learning the right stuff.

For case studies, just read the marking points and where it has an icon of a globe, that is a case study example. If you don't have the facts already, research them that would help you answer a question exactly like that point on the mark scheme.

Link (if you are doing the same qualification): http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/geography-2016.html

Which exam board did you do? If it's Edexcel which textbook did you use to learn the material for your AS exams? My textbook is just ****, it hardly tells you the details you need to know to hit the A grade
Reply 5
Original post by The RAR
Which exam board did you do? If it's Edexcel which textbook did you use to learn the material for your AS exams? My textbook is just ****, it hardly tells you the details you need to know to hit the A grade

I am sitting the Edexcel exam im using the Oxbox book, and the other blue book aswell as i also bought the CGP revision guide recently and am going to try and get key information from that.
Reply 6
Original post by The RAR
But there are no past papers for this new spec

I am aware that there are no past papers for the new spec, however i was hoping that just doing past papers from the old spec, considering the topics are practically the same would still help me out.
Or i hope so anyway
Original post by The RAR

I am doing Edexcel.

Basically, I use the textbooks my college provided (we only get them for this year and have to give them back), so I do not know where to buy them but admittedly I haven't looked. I would say they are very useful for understanding concepts you find tricky, but don't worship them for a few reasons:
1) Because there is too much info and it may not be set out/explained in the same way as the exam might want. For that you would have to look at past papers.
2) The case studies often tend not to be the ones we use in class. I sometimes look in these for additional info/case study detail but usually don't bother too much.

If you really still want them (i can't be bothered to find them but your teacher may be better to ask if you can't get a hold of them)
There are 2 textbooks. One for AS and one for A level (so it's split into the two years of content to learn).
On it it has:
Edexcel AS/A Level Geography. Series Editor: Lindsay Frost... endorsed by edexcel, active book included.
Book 1 and Book 2.
I am sitting the Edexcel exam im using the Oxbox book, and the other blue book aswell as i also bought the CGP revision guide recently and am going to try and get key information from that.

As for revision guides, my teacher recommended these ones from Hodder education. I have only just received mine, ordered 1 week ago, but my mates have them and recommended them to me so I am sure they are good for condensing information down.
(Don't ask why there are 3 books, and yes they do miss out one topic (Health, Human Rights and Intervention) but no worries)

https://www.hoddereducation.co.uk/Product?Product=9781471863158
https://www.hoddereducation.co.uk/Product?Product=9781471864094
https://www.hoddereducation.co.uk/Product?Product=9781471864087
Reply 9
I am doing Edexcel.

Basically, I use the textbooks my college provided (we only get them for this year and have to give them back), so I do not know where to buy them but admittedly I haven't looked. I would say they are very useful for understanding concepts you find tricky, but don't worship them for a few reasons:
1) Because there is too much info and it may not be set out/explained in the same way as the exam might want. For that you would have to look at past papers.
2) The case studies often tend not to be the ones we use in class. I sometimes look in these for additional info/case study detail but usually don't bother too much.

If you really still want them (i can't be bothered to find them but your teacher may be better to ask if you can't get a hold of them)
There are 2 textbooks. One for AS and one for A level (so it's split into the two years of content to learn).
On it it has:
Edexcel AS/A Level Geography. Series Editor: Lindsay Frost... endorsed by edexcel, active book included.
Book 1 and Book 2.

I have this exact same book given by my school and the information there I just find it worthless, it also has so much garbage which you don't need to know for the exam. How do you revise from this textbook?
Original post by The RAR
I have this exact same book given by my school and the information there I just find it worthless, it also has so much garbage which you don't need to know for the exam. How do you revise from this textbook?

I already have notes from classes in my own, shorter form. I only use the textbook if I lack info/case studies/detail/or just plan knowledge on that specific topic. I don't use it otherwise - I just worship the specification.
Exam technique is very important, do you know how to answer 4,6,9,12,16markers. Some people have all the knowledge but fall short here
I am aware that there are no past papers for the new spec, however i was hoping that just doing past papers from the old spec, considering the topics are practically the same would still help me out.
Or i hope so anyway

You have specimen papers, and papers that your schools provide you. Last year I didn't use any past papers from the old spec, and got an A.

Specimen papers
paper from last year
there are also essay questions in your textbooks
Original post by SuperHuman98
You have specimen papers, and papers that your schools provide you. Last year I didn't use any past papers from the old spec, and got an A.

Specimen papers
paper from last year
there are also essay questions in your textbooks

I already have notes from classes in my own, shorter form. I only use the textbook if I lack info/case studies/detail/or just plan knowledge on that specific topic. I don't use it otherwise - I just worship the specification.

How is everyone structuring their 20 markers for this Edexcel spec? I'm struggling to write the 20 markers, I need some form of formula because I feel like the questions are wayyyy to open-ended and lateral lol...
Original post by romansholiday
How is everyone structuring their 20 markers for this Edexcel spec? I'm struggling to write the 20 markers, I need some form of formula because I feel like the questions are wayyyy to open-ended and lateral lol...

Preety much same as 12 markers just write more and remember to think about themes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending