The Student Room Group

12 weeks till year 12 mocks!!

So in about 3 months i have my year 12 mocks and i'm really hoping to get predicted A*AA. they are mostly made up of mocks and also how we've done in term tests. any revision/timetabling tips would be really helpful.
thank youu x
Start revision now!
Hi, I’m in year 13 and predicted A*A*A so I can help you!! If you’re mocks are in twelve weeks, then that means they start on 14 May? I wouldn’t go full on with the revision yet, or you will probably burn out, and trust me when that happens it is so difficult to revise effectively. I would make a list of all the topics you have learnt (be as specific as possible because it will make revision easier) and decide how much time you want to spend on each (and then add an extra hour as a buffer). Use this to make a revision time table and make sure you stick to it, for example, maybe you could reward yourself every week that you’ve stuck to the time table? I would say beginning of April is when you need to start seriously revising, just please PLEASE be aware of burn out because it is horrendous when it hits and it doesn’t give you any warning!!
Reply 3
Original post by TheAlchemistress
Start revision now!

ty x
Reply 4
Original post by Ddraigdwr2
Hi, I’m in year 13 and predicted A*A*A so I can help you!! If you’re mocks are in twelve weeks, then that means they start on 14 May? I wouldn’t go full on with the revision yet, or you will probably burn out, and trust me when that happens it is so difficult to revise effectively. I would make a list of all the topics you have learnt (be as specific as possible because it will make revision easier) and decide how much time you want to spend on each (and then add an extra hour as a buffer). Use this to make a revision time table and make sure you stick to it, for example, maybe you could reward yourself every week that you’ve stuck to the time table? I would say beginning of April is when you need to start seriously revising, just please PLEASE be aware of burn out because it is horrendous when it hits and it doesn’t give you any warning!!

hey thanks for the advice xx
i am so worried about the dreaded burn out and i srsly cannot afford for that to happen! would you say maybe 3 hours at the library 5 days a week is alright for now? also sorry for so many questions but could you recommend how i should use past paper questions etc in my revision? often i find that i revise the content and then it comes to the paper and its like nothing ive learnt. Im currently working at ABB do you think I have a good chance of making this work?
Thanks so much again xo
You can definitely get to where you want to be from ABB! I was really struggling with chemistry in year twelve (most of the year I was working at like a C) but then I managed to get my grade up to an A through hard work! If you don’t mind me asking, what subjects are you taking? Because if it’s a subject with a new specification, then be wary of using past papers because there really aren’t that many around!! Would your three hours include homework or just revision? To be honest that is definitely enough for the moment, and then during the Easter holidays you can really go for it (though take the first two days to rest, and then use the rest to work!). Make sure you use the spec when revising since they can only ask you what’s on it! I’m basically 12 weeks further on from your position, my mocks start tomorrow and I have revised first by making condensed notes on each topic, making sure that I understand everything and doing the summary Qs at the end of a chapter in the textbook. Then I go online and find questions on each topic (there are loads for sciences but I don’t know about other subjects), using the mark schemes to correct my mistakes. Past papers are literally the last thing that I do! Also make sure you have a revision time table to make sure you cover every topic! Good luck!! Xx
Reply 6
You can definitely get to where you want to be from ABB! I was really struggling with chemistry in year twelve (most of the year I was working at like a C) but then I managed to get my grade up to an A through hard work! If you don’t mind me asking, what subjects are you taking? Because if it’s a subject with a new specification, then be wary of using past papers because there really aren’t that many around!! Would your three hours include homework or just revision? To be honest that is definitely enough for the moment, and then during the Easter holidays you can really go for it (though take the first two days to rest, and then use the rest to work!). Make sure you use the spec when revising since they can only ask you what’s on it! I’m basically 12 weeks further on from your position, my mocks start tomorrow and I have revised first by making condensed notes on each topic, making sure that I understand everything and doing the summary Qs at the end of a chapter in the textbook. Then I go online and find questions on each topic (there are loads for sciences but I don’t know about other subjects), using the mark schemes to correct my mistakes. Past papers are literally the last thing that I do! Also make sure you have a revision time table to make sure you cover every topic! Good luck!! Xx

the 3 hours would be revision basically im struggling to juggle revising the current content and going back over the content that i fd up at the start of year 12. im taking bio, chem and psych as well as EPQ. X
Original post by p_s79
the 3 hours would be revision basically im struggling to juggle revising the current content and going back over the content that i fd up at the start of year 12. im taking bio, chem and psych as well as EPQ. X

For biology I don’t have any specific websites I can recommend, but googling A level biology questions will bring up lots of stuff! Also still use last papers from the old specification, the actual content is quite similar for both biology and chemistry. For chemistry I can recommend Chemrevise, Chemguide, and maths and physics tutor, which have lots of revision notes and questions you can use. Also for chemistryand biology topics that I found hard at the beginning of year twelve, going over them later I actually understood them a lot better because I had gotten used to the A level standard of work, so things won’t be as bad as you think they are from the beginning of the year! The same happens for other year twelve topics when you get into year thirteen, everything clicks and falls into place and it makes all topics easier to understand. One last thing for organic chemistry, learn all the mechanisms off by heart!! Trust me it will be a God send! Xx
Reply 8
For biology I don’t have any specific websites I can recommend, but googling A level biology questions will bring up lots of stuff! Also still use last papers from the old specification, the actual content is quite similar for both biology and chemistry. For chemistry I can recommend Chemrevise, Chemguide, and maths and physics tutor, which have lots of revision notes and questions you can use. Also for chemistryand biology topics that I found hard at the beginning of year twelve, going over them later I actually understood them a lot better because I had gotten used to the A level standard of work, so things won’t be as bad as you think they are from the beginning of the year! The same happens for other year twelve topics when you get into year thirteen, everything clicks and falls into place and it makes all topics easier to understand. One last thing for organic chemistry, learn all the mechanisms off by heart!! Trust me it will be a God send! Xx

Thank you sooooo much for all your advice. greatly appreciated!!! Xxxx
Original post by p_s79
Thank you sooooo much for all your advice. greatly appreciated!!! Xxxx

No worries!! If you ever need anything else feel free to pm me xx
Reply 10
:wink::smile::smile:
Hi,
I was just wondering what course and universities you have applied to... I am aiming for A*A*A and I am happy you have given such good advice.
Thank you so much :wink:
11 weeks now.
Reply 13
Original post by bluepotato
11 weeks now.

ik eeek:frown:
Original post by p_s79
ik eeek:frown:

I'm in Year 12 too haha. Dw, you'll be fine, I'm sure :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by bluepotato
I'm in Year 12 too haha. Dw, you'll be fine, I'm sure :smile: