The Student Room Group

UCL vs Durham? (on prestige alone)

Apologies if this has been asked before, but which university would be considered the most prestigious or preferred by employers for graduate schemes?

I'm wondering what sort of impressions people have of both universities and which is considered the most intellectually demanding? (perhaps they are equal...?)
Original post by FreeDerry
Apologies if this has been asked before, but which university would be considered the most prestigious or preferred by employers for graduate schemes?

I'm wondering what sort of impressions people have of both universities and which is considered the most intellectually demanding? (perhaps they are equal...?)

Prestige is definitely UCL
Reply 2
Original post by FreeDerry
preferred by employers for graduate schemes?

Makes no difference.

Pick the one with the course you prefer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don’t think you should pick based on prestige if the courses are significantly different and you prefer one over the other.

But if you’re going with prestige anyway, then UCL.
international research powerhouse reputation = UCL by a country mile

exclusive undergraduate teaching-focused uni = Durham by a smidgen. actually no i'd say UCL by a smidgen. about equal, really that is possible!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
I was thinking of Law (conversion) but don't necessarily have my heart set on this.

What I am slightly worried about is the difference in course offers I've been made. UCL has made me an offer for 'Ancient Languages' (I don't have A Level Latin) whereas Durham has made me an offer for straight Classics. I am concerned that as Ancient Languages is a new degree (it began in 2013) it might not be seen as being as respectable as Classics which is far older and more established. Obviously I am not going to make my decision solely on what is considered 'more impressive' (so please no 'just pick the course you like best!') but I'd appreciate some opinions on whether the newer degree might be a hindrance or considered a 'lesser' degree?
For classics I think Durham would be better... For Law too perhaps.. I've always seen UCL as a science/economics driven uni

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending