The Student Room Group

What is the highest salary that you will earn?

In your opinion what is the highest salary you think that you will be able to earn in the future?

For me I think I would be lucky to reach 40k

20 to 30k throughout my life looks more likely
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I dont think this is a good question. It really should be about what sort of career you plan to go into, how you're going to progress and what you're taking now.

I hope to reach the top tax bracket and more. I'd say im on track as of now.
I am currently in the top bracket because I am a bitcoin millionaire
Obviously we can all see into the future and know exactly what we will earn....

On a serious note, there's no way to predict what will happen along the road. Perhaps things will go well, perhaps they won't.

I'm sure the best way to find this out is to hop onto a roblox server and ask the kids what they think :biggrin:
I wont be a tosser like the guy above and I will be answering the simple question you asked.

I earn 20k now I will be lucky to see 25k in my life as I work in IT tech support which is demanding yet pays peanuts. I am currently trying to learn as much as I can now to get to that 25k quicker but eitherway dont see myself ever owning a property and wil most likely be renting forever. The UK is nothing but one giant tax scam system, designed to keep people poor.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ineedtorevise127
In your opinion what is the highest salary you think that you will be able to earn in the future?

The goal is £200-500k+ a year or signficant stake in my own company.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ineedtorevise127

Ideally 25-30k minimum as a starter? Doing a CompSci degree at the moment and although I'm under no illusions that it guarantees a job, the things I'm looking at are similar to that figure or higher.

I don't come from money. I was state educated from a fairly deprived area, so 25-30k as a starter would be an awful lot to me.

Further on in the future? Possibly £70k-100k? No idea.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Blue_Cow
Ideally 25-30k minimum as a starter? Doing a CompSci degree at the moment and although I'm under no illusions that it guarantees a job, the things I'm looking at are similar to that figure.
really? I thought that providing you get a 1st/2:1 in compsci then you’re pretty much guaranteed to get a job payin 40-50k in your lifetime.
Original post by Got Milk
really? I thought that providing you get a 1st/2:1 in compsci then you’re pretty much guaranteed to get a job payin 40-50k in your lifetime.

Yeah, I've seen a few things that pay around that 40-50k figure as a starter, but software engineering isn't my #1 career choice. Getting into the Civil Service Fast Stream is and the starting salary AFAIK is about 28k.
Original post by Princepieman
The goal is £200-500k+ a year or signficant stake in my own company.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I bet you aren’t even joking and think this will happen.. you wont even see 10% of that as a salary unless you plan on being a dr or top lawyer.
In my industry 75K. If I move sorta horizontally, 100 plus. But the nature of the work becomes hellish.
Anything above 22K after graduating will be good.
Since i haven’t even started university yet i can’t comment but i’d imagine a top salary of 40-50K to be the absolute highest i’ll earn and ill be living very comfortably with this amount of money.
I bet you aren’t even joking and think this will happen.. you wont even see 10% of that as a salary unless you plan on being a dr or top lawyer.

He's referring to his own business... unless he wants to be vice-chancellor
Original post by Blue_Cow
Yeah, I've seen a few things that pay around that 40-50k figure as a starter, but software engineering isn't my #1 career choice. Getting into the Civil Service Fast Stream is and the starting salary AFAIK is about 28k.
tbh Id be quite happy on 28k, from a quick Google thats aroung 1800 per month after tax which would suite me fine living in Birmingham on that money, 700 per month for the mortgage £1100 left, Id be iyt.
I'm a low maintenance person from a fairly deprived background, so anything above 30k (after tax) will allow me to live a pretty comfortable life up North!
40-50k sounds like a lot until you factor in Tax, NI, student loan.

50k after tax already cuts off like 14k.
Original post by HighFructose
He's referring to his own business... unless he wants to be vice-chancellor

Read what he said... he said “or”
tbh Id be quite happy on 28k, from a quick Google thats aroung 1800 per month after tax which would suite me fine living in Birmingham on that money, 700 per month for the mortgage £1100 left, Id be iyt.

I'd be happy on 28k as a single living in London/Edinburgh, but not when I have a family and my needs change :tongue:
Read what he said... he said “or”

Well good luck with that then
I would like to earn a similar wage to my parents (aeronautical engineer and a dentist). I highly doubt my Literature degree will get me far. Probably just the standard 28k that teachers get with the possibility to progress to 32k.

Quick Reply

Latest