The Student Room Group

Quick question about studying engineering in the UK

Hi, I am an international student and I'd like to ask you one simple thing.

I want to know if it is common for engineering students to take bachelor's and Master's at a different university, for example, to take BEng at Manchester and Msc at Imperial.

Thanks!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes, it's common among all degree subjects.
Most people in Engineering would just do an MEng instead. The BEng+MSc route would usually be used if you want a change of subject or to go to a different university, you don't gain much otherwise.
Original post by ryotomiyake
Hi, I am an international student and I'd like to ask you one simple thing.

I want to know if it is common for engineering students to take bachelor's and Master's at a different university, for example, to take BEng at Manchester and Msc at Imperial.

Thanks!!

It's probably more common for internationals than home students. And it's probably more common nowadays for home students than before the fees went up.

Back when home students were paying circa £3,000 per year many would just stay on to complete the MEng rather than do an MSc elsewhere, because the MEng year was virtually always cheaper than the MSc. However, now that they're paying over £9,000 per year, some home students are beginning to look twice at the MEng vs MSc, as in many instances the MSc may actually be cheaper than the MEng year (although the MSc will have to be funded out of pocket).

For international students on international fees, I think there's always been a consideration of the fees involved - and also whether the MEng is recognised in their home country as a full masters degree. It is in the UK but I've heard others say it might not be in some other countries.
Reply 4
Original post by Epitype
Yes, it's common among all degree subjects.

Not so much for Engineering. Or any course that offers an integrated masters, eg. MMath, MSci.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Please research the Washington and Sydney Accords, this will help.

For a few reasons the UK opted to gimp its BEng engineering degrees in the 90s and formed the "updated " MEng, which is equivalent to a BSc abroad, making the BEng only recognised in Commonwealth states.

Be very careful on the credits.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ms2013
Please research the Washington and Sydney Accords, this will help.

For a few reasons the UK opted to gimp its engineering degrees and formed the MEng, which is equivalent to a BSc abroad, making the BEng only recognised in Commonwealth states.

Be very careful on the credits.

This is completely untrue. The MEng is considered equivalent to an MSc pretty much everywhere. I know that because I've inquired about PhD programs outside of the Commonwealth (China, SK, the US, France, and the Netherlands) and they have considered me on equal footing if not given me somewhat of an advantage in the non-EU countries as a result of the MEng. I also know someone currently working in Japan after completing their MEng, and based on OP's name Is guessing he's Japanese.

The only country I've seen which is still a bit unconvinced by the MEng is India. But certainly in East and South East Asia, Europe, Africa and the Americas, it is seen as being at least on par based on the opinions of either academics I've talked to in the constituent countries or international students from those countries.
Reply 7
Original post by Helloworld_95
This is completely untrue. The MEng is considered equivalent to an MSc pretty much everywhere. I know that because I've inquired about PhD programs outside of the Commonwealth (China, SK, the US, France, and the Netherlands) and they have considered me on equal footing if not given me somewhat of an advantage in the non-EU countries as a result of the MEng. I also know someone currently working in Japan after completing their MEng, and based on OP's name Is guessing he's Japanese.

The only country I've seen which is still a bit unconvinced by the MEng is India. But certainly in East and South East Asia, Europe, Africa and the Americas, it is seen as being at least on par based on the opinions of either academics I've talked to in the constituent countries or international students from those countries.

Oh thanks for the insight, that's great, I've only seen the accords tbh :smile:

They still aren't worth the same in terms of credits however for exchange students. BEng + MSc is 360 + 180 = 540. MEng is 480. My international exchange friends keep a keen eye on the credits.
Original post by ms2013
Oh thanks for the insight, that's great, I've only seen the accords tbh :smile:

They still aren't worth the same in terms of credits however for exchange students. BEng + MSc is 360 + 180 = 540. MEng is 480. My international exchange friends keep a keen eye on the credits.

Yeah, it's not equal on credits, to make it even worse most other places do it so BEng/BSc+MSc are 600 credits.

It works out though. Compared to BEng+MSc programs, in terms of actual course quality you don't lose out on a whole lot as in the combined MEng program they can assume a lot of prior knowledge going into 4th year which can't be assumed in an MSc program. You also have the large group project, which you wouldn't usually be exposed to on a BEng+MSc combo.

As for why it's seen as equivalent to 2 year master's, I'm guessing it's mostly due to the strength of British universities combined with the focus on teaching you how to learn. The British system makes you absorb information like a sponge, which is very advantageous from both industrial and academic points of view as it means you can get up to speed on projects more quickly. To an extent it outweighs the additional prior knowledge that you would gain from those extra credits.
Reply 9
Yeah, it's not equal on credits, to make it even worse most other places do it so BEng/BSc+MSc are 600 credits.

It works out though. Compared to BEng+MSc programs, in terms of actual course quality you don't lose out on a whole lot as in the combined MEng program they can assume a lot of prior knowledge going into 4th year which can't be assumed in an MSc program. You also have the large group project, which you wouldn't usually be exposed to on a BEng+MSc combo.

As for why it's seen as equivalent to 2 year master's, I'm guessing it's mostly due to the strength of British universities combined with the focus on teaching you how to learn. The British system makes you absorb information like a sponge, which is very advantageous from both industrial and academic points of view as it means you can get up to speed on projects more quickly. To an extent it outweighs the additional prior knowledge that you would gain from those extra credits.

I see, thank you again for the insight. Are UK unis really that well respected outside of the UK?

My MEng I'm doing selected Postgrad modules with a couple of MEng specific ones, group project included.
Reply 10
Original post by ms2013
Are UK unis really that well respected outside of the UK?

Yes. :smile:

Thank you very much for your advice.
Yes, I'm Japanese :smile:
Original post by Doonesbury
Yes. :smile:

Thank you everyone for your sincere advice.

Let me ask you another question. My situation is, I am currently in the final grade of high school in Japan, and I would like to study civil engineering at a UK university, using the scholarship offered by the Japanese government. However, the problem is that they would offer scholarships only for bachelor's degree, and integrated MEng is not covered. So, I would not be able to study at Oxbridge nor Imperial, which only have integrated MEng courses.

Therefore, I am thinking about taking MSc or other master's degree in the UK (possibly in another country), and wondering if it is actually possible. Are engineering departments of UK universities supportive to students who wish to take MSc at a different university?

Also, so far I got offers from UCL, University of Sheffield and University of Leeds, but which uni do you recommend the most, considering the fact that I have to do further education after that? I heard that the engineering department of UCL is pretty bad when it comes to the undergraduate education, but is that true?

Let me ask you another question. My situation is, I am currently in the final grade of high school in Japan, and I would like to study civil engineering at a UK university, using the scholarship offered by the Japanese government. However, the problem is that they would offer scholarships only for bachelor's degree, and integrated MEng is not covered. So, I would not be able to study at Oxbridge nor Imperial, which only have integrated MEng courses.

Therefore, I am thinking about taking MSc or other master's degree in the UK (possibly in another country), and wondering if it is actually possible. Are engineering departments of UK universities supportive to students who wish to take MSc at a different university?

Also, so far I got offers from UCL, University of Sheffield and University of Leeds, but which uni do you recommend the most, considering the fact that I have to do further education after that? I heard that the engineering department of UCL is pretty bad when it comes to the undergraduate education, but is that true?

Yes, universities are usually quite supportive of people who wish to study their MSc at a different uni. Or rather they're not going to get in your way, though they will provide incentives to stay such as tuition fee discounts.

I don't know much about Civil engineering, sorry. As for UCL, from what I've heard it has improved quite a bit.
The cost of living in London is significantly higher than Leeds/Sheffield (or anywhere else in the UK) so check if your scholarship will give you extra money for living in London.

also I notice UCL is bottom of the table for student satisfaction in the Civil Engineering subject league table
https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?o=Student+Satisfaction&s=Civil+Engineering
even taking it with a pinch of salt that still looks pretty bad.
Reply 15

The UCL criticism was generally directed at chemical engineering not civil. The ChemEng course has been revised.

Meanwhile UCL also has the Bartlett School of Architecture, one of the best schools in the world, and the CivEng folks do some work alongside the Bartlett.

I doubt there's any serious problem coursewise with CivEng at UCL. But ask the department to put you in touch with a couple of current students. And check out the University College, London forum on TSR.

There's also absolutely no problem completing a BEng at UCL or anywhere and then doing an MSc somewhere else.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Thank you.

Let’s say I decided to do MSc after BEng and applied for it, then what they would evaluate the most in the process of application? Is it the grades of my undergraduate course, a personal statement, or an interview? Do they take the uni I graduate into consideration?
Thank you.

Yes, they would give me extra money for living in London.
Thank you.

Let’s say I decided to do MSc after BEng and applied for it, then what they would evaluate the most in the process of application? Is it the grades of my undergraduate course, a personal statement, or an interview? Do they take the uni I graduate into consideration?

It would just be your grades, though depending on the university your personal statement or even interview would play a part. In terms of grades it will likely just be a cut off rather than you are ranked on your grades.

I don't think they usually take the uni you graduate from into consideration.
Reply 19

Depending on where you are aiming for, a good 2.1 or First is what is primarily needed.

PS. It's best to quote the post you are replying to, so the poster gets a notification when you comment :smile:

I don't think they usually take the uni you graduate from into consideration.

Agreed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending