The Student Room Group

New 'Mass Effect 4' announced

Ok, so it's probably not actually going to be called Mass Effect 4 but it is going to be within the same universe.

http://www.actiontrip.com/news/mass-effect-4-and-dragon-age-3-to-use-nextgen-frostbite-3-engine/032813_7

I loved the mass effect trilogy and I'd love it to continue. I was wondering what other people thought of a new mass effect game and what it should be based on?

A prequel?
Sequel?
Entirely different setting e.g. First Contact War, Krogan Rebellions?

What do you think mm? :smile:
I genuinely don't mind, I just love the universe and I'm sure whatever they do will be great. I don't really know what they could do for a game set after the events of the trilogy though.

Also slightly related, I really love this parody twitter account that mashes up Sterling Archer from the TV show Archer and Commander Shepherd. Renegade Shepherd (or whoever) should totally be like this guy in the next game https://twitter.com/ArcherShepard
Reply 2
I could have sworn it was announced a while ago. :? But yeah, still excited. My hope is that they don't touch any of the characters in the trilogy. I'd love it (though Bioware wouldn't) if it was a sequel which used your ME3 decisions. :biggrin: Also looking forward to DA3 (but they need to bring back the Warden).

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3
Original post by dlaiden
I could have sworn it was announced a while ago. :? But yeah, still excited. My hope is that they don't touch any of the characters in the trilogy. I'd love it (though Bioware wouldn't) if it was a sequel which used your ME3 decisions. :biggrin: Also looking forward to DA3 (but they need to bring back the Warden).

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

yeah sorry should've worded that differently :tongue: yeah I dunno where they could go with a sequel...
Reply 4
Original post by Alleykat606
yeah sorry should've worded that differently :tongue: yeah I dunno where they could go with a sequel...

I was sort of hoping that they could use the sequel to revive the Dark Energy storyline that Tali started on Haestrom...especially seeing as the original ending was supposed to be about it. Or a power struggle between the Krogan (who would probably be the largest race after the war) and the rest of the species. I don't know; something to do with politics, Dark Energy and the ability to play a non-human race would be good. :biggrin:
Reply 5
I'd love a game that has the player as a Han Solo type character, with your rag tag crew taking legal and illegal jobs around the galaxy, sort of like Firefly. But whatever they go with, I reckon the scope of the story should be smaller and more personal, more about the struggles of the characters rather than saving the universe again. Makes me wish I was a writer for Bioware.
Reply 6
I fear that a Mass Effect game without Shepherd and pals just won't have the same feel to it...I get the feeling that they're simply trying to milk the Mass Effect cow for all it's worth, which is what we're seeing with most other big label games recently.
I'm not going to begin to guess where they could go with this, a sequel plot would certainly be a challenge, and getting a new bunch of characters that you care about as much as Shepherd and the gang would be a big ask. But hell, I've loved pretty much everything BioWare have ever done and its bound to be something special, some of the best gaming storytellers there are.

Can't wait for DA3 either, huge fan of the series (although the second needed some polishing up) and looking forward to seeing where they take it.
Reply 8
I don't often dig up old threads but it is funny to see what people were thinking about the new Mass Effect before the shitstorm came in 2017.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Bio 7
I don't often dig up old threads but it is funny to see what people were think about the new Mass Effect before the shitstorm came in 2017.

I know this is beating a dead thread here but seeing this coming up on Trending brought a smile on my face.

Sincerely

-Proud Mass Effect Andromeda refunder.
I genuinely thought it was a solid game, really enjoyed the combat and exploration. Sure it had bugs and graphics were bad in a lot of places, but didn't affect my game too much (bought after a few patches were released), and was really interested in some of the story threads they left hanging. I hope it hasn't killed the franchise, ME1 was a solid game too, and wasn't until ME2 that it truly got amazing, so I think Andromeda received a hard time, it stood out especially as it came out similar time to Zelda and Horizon which were awesome, and people are sheep and jumped on the hate bandwagon.
This thread's existence is going to cause false hope until people click on it (may as well change the link to a Rick Roll).

It was a huge mistake setting it in another galaxy, given everything was so similar. Can't promise a new frontier then deliver the same old ****. The game itself being a bit of an anti-climactic chore doesn't help.

Really it's a good 7/10 game, but it's what it should've been and the corners that were cut and lack of creativity and desire to make a new world that makes it bad.
Can't say I'm interested after the ME3 and Andromeda shambles.

Quick Reply

Latest