The Student Room Group

I have a phobia of boys

Hi, there is something that has kinda been ruining my life and social exchanges pretty much since the get go. I cannot talk or be in the same room with a boy and feel comfortable or not awkward. I am a girl, and ever since puberty I've had social anxiety, but I've always had friends and gone out, and I'm actually really confident talking to and hanging out with girls. However as soon as one of them invite or start hanging out with a boy I cannot hang out with them, and this has actually caused me too loose a whole friend group and find another one cause they started talking to boys. Anyways its so bad cause its making me not go out and have a life cause now days boys are EVERYWHERE and every time I try to talk to one I cant. I just cant. I'm scared I'll never feel comfortable with a boy being in a room or never go out because there will always be a boy with us.

Really I just want to find out if anyone feels the same?

(Don't ask me where this stemmed from, I've had a normal childhood)
Sounds like you might need some counselling, because that is certainly not normal.

Normal is overrated usually, but if you are finding yourself unable to go out and saying 'Boys are everywhere' then that's something you need to deal with.
With anxiety, you sometimes have to push your boundaries and learn to say 'yes'. That sounds so much easier in writing.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, there is something that has kinda been ruining my life and social exchanges pretty much since the get go. I cannot talk or be in the same room with a boy and feel comfortable or not awkward. I am a girl, and ever since puberty I've had social anxiety, but I've always had friends and gone out, and I'm actually really confident talking to and hanging out with girls. However as soon as one of them invite or start hanging out with a boy I cannot hang out with them, and this has actually caused me too loose a whole friend group and find another one cause they started talking to boys. Anyways its so bad cause its making me not go out and have a life cause now days boys are EVERYWHERE and every time I try to talk to one I cant. I just cant. I'm scared I'll never feel comfortable with a boy being in a room or never go out because there will always be a boy with us.

Really I just want to find out if anyone feels the same?

(Don't ask me where this stemmed from, I've had a normal childhood)

how old r u?
Im nearly 18 and I get anxious around boys. I dont know what its like to be in thier company! I feel exactly the same way as u! 100 per cent!!!!! Yeah! my hands start to sweat and I behave differently!

Quick Reply