The Student Room Group

The "Am I good enough for Investment Banking/Consultancy?" Thread

Scroll to see replies

How would you demonstrate interest in finance/Investment banking on the CV?

Haven't been able to join the investment/finance societies since their meetings clash with my other commitments (extra-curriculars just not finance related)

At a semi-target
I've got a few months before my MSc program begins and i was hoping to take some entry-level qualification to show my passion and interest in finance. I've shortlisted the IMC and CFA. Given that i only have 4-5 months before the CFA lvl 1 and a significant bill to pay if i do decide to take it, im leaning on the IMC. Even though im aware that the CFA lvl 1 is far more thorough and prestigious than the IMC, Im only really trying to highlight passion and interest more than anything else. Is it useful to that effect or should i just do the CFA instead?
Original post by takasar
I've got a few months before my MSc program begins and i was hoping to take some entry-level qualification to show my passion and interest in finance. I've shortlisted the IMC and CFA. Given that i only have 4-5 months before the CFA lvl 1 and a significant bill to pay if i do decide to take it, im leaning on the IMC. Even though im aware that the CFA lvl 1 is far more thorough and prestigious than the IMC, Im only really trying to highlight passion and interest more than anything else. Is it useful to that effect or should i just do the CFA instead?

If your MSc is finance related, you are already showing passion for finance imo. Futhermore do you know what you want to do in finance? The CFA would be great for the buy side (HF/AM). I would rather find some work experience (getting paid) to boost my CV than work on the CFA (paying for it) which will just be 1 line.
Original post by xtrembob
If your MSc is finance related, you are already showing passion for finance imo. Futhermore do you know what you want to do in finance? The CFA would be great for the buy side (HF/AM). I would rather find some work experience (getting paid) to boost my CV than work on the CFA (paying for it) which will just be 1 line.

I have only just applied, I haven't heard back yet or gotten any offers. Im leaning towards AM, but ER is also a possibility since i have some work experience in that field as well. Ultimately, i just want a 1 line on my CV to, i hope, give me an advantage, however small it might be, over someone with similar grades, work experience and extra curriculars. Im just hoping the IMC would do the trick. the alternative, if the IMC is too weak for that, is that i could do the CFA instead. You do have a good point about work experience.
Original post by takasar
I have only just applied, I haven't heard back yet or gotten any offers. Im leaning towards AM, but ER is also a possibility since i have some work experience in that field as well. Ultimately, i just want a 1 line on my CV to, i hope, give me an advantage, however small it might be, over someone with similar grades, work experience and extra curriculars. Im just hoping the IMC would do the trick. the alternative, if the IMC is too weak for that, is that i could do the CFA instead. You do have a good point about work experience.

Fair enough, I don’t really know about the IMC, but the CFA is well recognised in the industries you talked about. Google around and look at LinkedIn profile to see which is the most popular where you see yourself working.
Original post by banking96
Education;
ABB
Politics and Economics at Birmingham

Work experience: (all 2 weeks)
Pwc - tax
Boutique consultancy firm
Charles Stanley - investment management
Accenture - consultancy
Boutique firm - M&A
Commercial department for a decent size company
(most of these are for the upcoming summer, potential to change/ upgrade maybe)

ECs:

Semi pro football
Gold DofE
President of a society
Lance corporal - CCF
FA qualified referee
Then the usual Sports, travelling etc.

I think my ECs and work experience is pretty good, but the Qs is, is it good enough to make up for the sub par academics?
And what can i do to improve it? If its not good enough I was thinking of maybe doing a masters at a decent uni?

Thanks

What year are you in

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
What year are you in

Posted from TSR Mobile
2nd, all of it bar the commercial one is for the upcoming Easter/ summer. I didn't get an internship so I've networked /used connections to try make up for it. I wish i did that 1st year now!
2nd, all of it bar the commercial one is for the upcoming Easter/ summer. I didn't get an internship so I've networked /used connections to try make up for it. I wish i did that 1st year now!

Ah..

You're gonna have to be applying to internships as a final year anyway, so it's up to you if you choose to do the masters or not. Not sure if you'd have an acceptance before recruiting season starts for next summer though.
Ah..

You're gonna have to be applying to internships as a final year anyway, so it's up to you if you choose to do the masters or not. Not sure if you'd have an acceptance before recruiting season starts for next summer though.

So next to no chance of a grad role then? I though there wasn't much difference in competitiveness between the two anyway?
So next to no chance of a grad role then? I though there wasn't much difference in competitiveness between the two anyway?

grad role is not happening without having already completed an internship.
grad role is not happening without having already completed an internship.

Fairs, I'm presuming investment management is the same? Worst come to worst I should have a decent chance at top 4 shouldn't I?
Sorry if this is an annoying question, but what graes did you get ecause i would like to apply to the maths and stats course at oxford. Also what did you do to further your application?
Hi everyone. Nominations for the Student Room's annual Community Awards have just opened. Please click HERE and nominate for as many categories as you can - the more names put forward, the better! Good luck! :h:
(reposting here)

hey!

I have only really just started thinking seriously about IBs, I have seen other people pursue it but I never felt that I was qualified or really all that into it. Nevertheless, here I am asking for your advice. Would this profile rule me out all together or is there hope?

BBB A Level
1st(74%) in Chemistry, mid-tier uni
starting MSc Economics, LSE in sept
really no internship experience (in this area, briefly did some public policy intern)

thanks!
Asking for a friend

BSc Physics, UCL with A* Physics, A* Maths, B in English lit, averaging first class this year.

Asked *how* much of a disadvantage his A Level grades are - he didn't get a SW and is wondering whether its down to his grades

@Princepieman @gr8wizard10
Original post by jaymie26
(reposting here)

hey!

I have only really just started thinking seriously about IBs, I have seen other people pursue it but I never felt that I was qualified or really all that into it. Nevertheless, here I am asking for your advice. Would this profile rule me out all together or is there hope?

BBB A Level
1st(74%) in Chemistry, mid-tier uni
starting MSc Economics, LSE in sept
really no internship experience (in this area, briefly did some public policy intern)

thanks!

I'm not an expert, but MSc in Econ at LSE is competitive asf so I'm sure you'll be stacked one day bro
This thread is pretty daft. I've received a consulting offer from Oliver Wyman with **** A-Level and AS grades (BBCcca). My 1st from leeds uni may have helped a little but it's the passion I showed and the extra curricular I think that did it for me. As long as you attended a decent uni, I don't think A-levels matter that much. Maybe for investment banking, but consulting not so much
Original post by Kyber Ninja
Asking for a friend

BSc Physics, UCL with A* Physics, A* Maths, B in English lit, averaging first class this year.

Asked *how* much of a disadvantage his A Level grades are - he didn't get a SW and is wondering whether its down to his grades

@Princepieman @gr8wizard10

Nope, probably a CV/tests issue if he didn't get interviews or interviewing technique if he did.

He's got until August/Sept to improve.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DeemzBeamz
This thread is pretty daft. I've received a consulting offer from Oliver Wyman with **** A-Level and AS grades (BBCcca). My 1st from leeds uni may have helped a little but it's the passion I showed and the extra curricular I think that did it for me. As long as you attended a decent uni, I don't think A-levels matter that much. Maybe for investment banking, but consulting not so much

You're a mere outlier.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DeemzBeamz

It's really not daft though. A-levels do matter but can be compensated for through other things. It's not enough to just get meh grades and a decent grade at an alright uni - you wouldn't be competitive otherwise without the other intagibles.

Also - you're an outlier.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest