The Student Room Group

Which University is better? Middlesex University or Sheffield Hallam University?

I am a Spanish student who has received a conditional offer from Sheffield Hallam University and another conditional offer from Middlesex University. Therefore, I would like to know which University is better at helping students, teaching, etc.

Thank you so much for reading!!
Original post by Alextox
I am a Spanish student who has received a conditional offer from Sheffield Hallam University and another conditional offer from Middlesex University. Therefore, I would like to know which University is better at helping students, teaching, etc.

Which course best suits your interests and learning style?
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Which course best suits your interests and learning style?

A course based on laboratory work, seminars, workshops and interactive learning. All of this in small academic groups

By the way thank you for your answer!!:smile:
Reply 3
Make sure you visit both and ask lots of questions! From my experience, Sheffield (the city) has an amazing student scene, and is obviously much cheaper! Middlesex is on the very edge of London and I'm not sure many people there like the location. I'd vote Sheffield, but of course it depends on the course contents. I also think Sheffield hallam has a better reputation. The best advice I can give is to visit!! From personal experience, moving away from home (I'm from London but went to Nottingham uni) was the best decision I ever made!
Yeah I'd vote Sheffield Hallam. Both universities in Sheffield have a lot of students so the city is very student friendly. Not too spread out either so everything is walking distance. Middlesex doesn't have as much going on so I think most students end up going to central London for nights out etc which is still reasonably far.
Reply 5
Original post by Leilan
Make sure you visit both and ask lots of questions! From my experience, Sheffield (the city) has an amazing student scene, and is obviously much cheaper! Middlesex is on the very edge of London and I'm not sure many people there like the location. I'd vote Sheffield, but of course it depends on the course contents. I also think Sheffield hallam has a better reputation. The best advice I can give is to visit!! From personal experience, moving away from home (I'm from London but went to Nottingham uni) was the best decision I ever made!

Thank you so much for your answer!!:smile::smile:
Reply 6
Original post by showaeski
Yeah I'd vote Sheffield Hallam. Both universities in Sheffield have a lot of students so the city is very student friendly. Not too spread out either so everything is walking distance. Middlesex doesn't have as much going on so I think most students end up going to central London for nights out etc which is still reasonably far.

Thank you so much!!!:smile::smile:
Original post by Alextox

Hi Alextox,

Really sorry for the late reply!
I must have missed it!
I am currently studying at Middlesex and I am loving my time here!
There is so much to get involved in and so many great ways to make new friends. :smile: There are loads of clubs, societies, jobs on campus and volunteering opportunities!
I am an international student as well (I am from Italy!) and I really loved every second. The Orientation Week is a perfect time to meet other students. There are loads of visits around London, parties, meet ups and sports!
And, the most amazing thing is the Learning Enhancement Team! It is a team of people who help with essay writing and presentation! Thanks to them I graduated with a first class degree.
Of course, being in London is an advantage as there are loads of companies and places to get experience and then a job :smile:

The teaching is a mix between theory and practice, so you will really learn how to do things!
What course are you interested in studying?

Have a great day and good luck!
Ludovica
Reply 8
Original post by Middlesex University
Hi Alextox,

Really sorry for the late reply!
I must have missed it!
I am currently studying at Middlesex and I am loving my time here!
There is so much to get involved in and so many great ways to make new friends. :smile: There are loads of clubs, societies, jobs on campus and volunteering opportunities!
I am an international student as well (I am from Italy!) and I really loved every second. The Orientation Week is a perfect time to meet other students. There are loads of visits around London, parties, meet ups and sports!
And, the most amazing thing is the Learning Enhancement Team! It is a team of people who help with essay writing and presentation! Thanks to them I graduated with a first class degree.
Of course, being in London is an advantage as there are loads of companies and places to get experience and then a job :smile:

The teaching is a mix between theory and practice, so you will really learn how to do things!
What course are you interested in studying?

Have a great day and good luck!
Ludovica

Thank you so much for the information!!!.:smile::smile::smile:. I interested in studying Medical Immunology MSc.

Have a great day!:smile::smile::smile:
Original post by Alextox
Thank you so much for the information!!!.:smile::smile::smile:. I interested in studying Medical Immunology MSc.

Have a great day!:smile::smile::smile:

That is great!
The labs are amazing!

Let me know if you have any other questions :smile:
Ludovica
Reply 10
I think rather than asking which university has a higher quality of teaching and which is more supportive of the needs of students, a more relevant question is which "department" has a better quality of teaching and is better equipped at helping students. It is easy to make the mistake of assuming that the reputation of a given University represents the likelihood of your experience as a student, but in reality this isnt how it works. These are some of the questions that you should find answers to before deciding which one to go for:

What is the % student satisfaction with respect to the courses that you have been offered a place on in both Universities?
What is the teaching quality of each department indicated by the teaching quality assessment?
What is the size of the class? i.e. small group learning Vs. large lecture groups.
What do past students say about their experiences in each department?

These are questions that can be answered easily by going through the relevant websites and actively trying to find information regarding the experiences of ex-students.

I would astrongly advise you to take this approach before making a decision.

Best of luck!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Middlesex University
That is great!
The labs are amazing!

Let me know if you have any other questions :smile:
Ludovica

Okey dokey:biggrin::biggrin:. Thank you so much!:smile::smile::smile:
Original post by Alextox

Hey!

I've been studying at Sheffield Hallam for three years now, and I'm really glad I came here. I find the university really welcoming and friendly, which appealed to me from the first open day I attended. While I don't know too much about your specific course, my experience of tutors and lecturers has been really positive. Not only have I had support from them, but there are various student support services in place here, from the Bridge (academic skills workshops), to wellbeing support, to chaplaincy, to student support and more.

As an international student, you might be interested in some of the schemes we have such as Culture Connect (peer mentoring) and Conversation Club (international and home students' social event that runs twice a month). Our SHU GoGlobal organisation also runs trips around the UK throughout the year for international students, puts on musical and cultural events at uni, organises ways to meet new people through Global Friends, and hosts an International Career Enhancement Club. Some of these are discussed here. :smile:

As well as these, our Students' Union has many societies, sports clubs and volunteering opportunities which are a great way to fill up the rest of your time here, get to know Sheffield and meet lots of new people. For me, joining a society was the best thing I've done at uni!

As I said, I'm currently a third year student at Sheffield Hallam, so please let me know if you have any more specific questions.

I hope this was helpful!

Ellie
Reply 13
Original post by SHUGURU
Hey!

I've been studying at Sheffield Hallam for three years now, and I'm really glad I came here. I find the university really welcoming and friendly, which appealed to me from the first open day I attended. While I don't know too much about your specific course, my experience of tutors and lecturers has been really positive. Not only have I had support from them, but there are various student support services in place here, from the Bridge (academic skills workshops), to wellbeing support, to chaplaincy, to student support and more.

As an international student, you might be interested in some of the schemes we have such as Culture Connect (peer mentoring) and Conversation Club (international and home students' social event that runs twice a month). Our SHU GoGlobal organisation also runs trips around the UK throughout the year for international students, puts on musical and cultural events at uni, organises ways to meet new people through Global Friends, and hosts an International Career Enhancement Club. Some of these are discussed here. :smile:

As well as these, our Students' Union has many societies, sports clubs and volunteering opportunities which are a great way to fill up the rest of your time here, get to know Sheffield and meet lots of new people. For me, joining a society was the best thing I've done at uni!

As I said, I'm currently a third year student at Sheffield Hallam, so please let me know if you have any more specific questions.

I hope this was helpful!

Ellie

Thank you so much for your answer!!:smile::smile::smile:.
Reply 14
Original post by SHUGURU
Hey!

I hope this was helpful!

Ellie

I know that I started this thread a month ago but a question has come to my mind and I would like to ask you. Here it goes: How many class hours do you have per week? and, Do you know how many class hours MSc Biomedical Sciences has per week?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Alextox
I know that I started this thread a month ago but a question has come to my mind and I would like to ask you. Here it goes: How many class hours do you have per week? and, Do you know how many class hours MSc Biomedical Sciences has per week?

Hey again!

Since I study English language I have less contact hours than some other courses, as I have to do lots of reading and coursework in my own time. It's changed each year I've been here, it's probably averaged around 9 per week. I'd have 1 or 2 hour lectures and 1.5 hour seminars for each module I was doing, but sometimes I'd have workshops and guest lectures and things like that too.

I'm not sure how many hours MSc Biomedical Sciences courses have, but I know you'll have a mixture of lectures, tutorials and laboratory days, so you'll have an exciting and varied week each week!

It might be best to contact the department themselves if this is something you're worried about. On the course page: https://www.shu.ac.uk/courses/biosciences-and-chemistry/msc-biomedical-sciences/full-time/2018 you can "ask a question" which will put you in contact with them.

Hope this helps!

Ellie
Reply 16
Original post by SHUGURU
Hey again!

Since I study English language I have less contact hours than some other courses, as I have to do lots of reading and coursework in my own time. It's changed each year I've been here, it's probably averaged around 9 per week. I'd have 1 or 2 hour lectures and 1.5 hour seminars for each module I was doing, but sometimes I'd have workshops and guest lectures and things like that too.

I'm not sure how many hours MSc Biomedical Sciences courses have, but I know you'll have a mixture of lectures, tutorials and laboratory days, so you'll have an exciting and varied week each week!

It might be best to contact the department themselves if this is something you're worried about. On the course page: https://www.shu.ac.uk/courses/biosciences-and-chemistry/msc-biomedical-sciences/full-time/2018 you can "ask a question" which will put you in contact with them.

Hope this helps!

Ellie

Thank you so much for the information. It really helps me and encourages me😁😁😁. I will do that.

Thank you again!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending