The Student Room Group

Deciding subjects for A level

Hi guys, I just wanted to know if maths is needed/very liked for medicine in uni? I don't think I'm doing so great at maths at the moment and am thinking that maybe I should take psychology in a level instead ( I am doing maths, psychology, biology, chemistry at AS level).
Reply 1
Usually, you need chemistry and 2 out of maths, physics and biology.

So, technically no. BUT I don't know a single person doing medicine who didn't take maths - and you're risking and uncompetitive application if you don't do it.
Original post by SG!YK.VN
Hi guys, I just wanted to know if maths is needed/very liked for medicine in uni? I don't think I'm doing so great at maths at the moment and am thinking that maybe I should take psychology in a level instead ( I am doing maths, psychology, biology, chemistry at AS level).

Some unis don't require maths and some count psychology as a science/preferred subject, so I'd suggest looking up the requirements for different unis as if you think you'd get a better grade in psychology than maths it's probably worth it.

What kind of grades are you getting in maths if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 3
Original post by Nathan Scott
Some unis don't require maths and some count psychology as a science/preferred subject, so I'd suggest looking up the requirements for different unis as if you think you'd get a better grade in psychology than maths it's probably worth it.

What kind of grades are you getting in maths if you don't mind me asking?

Currently, I'm working at a B but some content I find really difficult at the moment (mechanics), I'm trying to get an A but I'm not sure if I will get there... My grade for psychology is pretty much the same but I find it a little easier I guess?

Quick Reply

Latest