The Student Room Group

Medical Work Experience

How much work experience would you say is "enough".
Ahh thank you! would you say some universitys are more inclined to choose people who have done more hours of work experience?
Original post by mynameisno123
Ahh thank you! would you say some universitys are more inclined to choose people who have done more hours of work experience?

most dont check how many hours you have done, but some do prefer students with at least some work experience
Original post by Yipyipee
most dont check how many hours you have done, but some do prefer students with at least some work experience

ok thank you ! are you doing medicine/ applying ? :smile:
ok thank you ! are you doing medicine/ applying ? :smile:

yup, im in the process atm :smile:
yup, im in the process atm :smile:

ahhh so your in the second year of a-levels :smile:
yeah, im doing chem, bio, maths and rs. Ive applied for bristol, UEA, dundee and QMUL
I did 3 places, 2 weeks at my Local Primary, 1 week at a pharmacy, and a week at a dental practioneers. The dental practioneers would presumably be the bst work experience, personally; combining elements of a vast spectrum of surgical procedures, consultations (like a GP), and in addition to this, understanding the risks with Xrays, and the routine analysis when a dental practioneer attempts to find other practial alternatives to an issue, within the patients best interest. The school, clearly developed cooridation and communication skills, enhancing interaction with the vulnerable of society, but also recognising the volatility of children, and finding peaceful solutions to conflict, which you may have to experience as a medic. Pharmacy, brought out the reality of the NHS, the contstant pressures & struggles faced by all aspects of the medical industry. Moreover, it highlighted the importance of the most minute details such as water, nothing should be overlooked in medicine.

Of course, I've applied for further GP, hospital work experience.

it is also good to have volunteering work at a carehome.
Original post by Science99999
I did 3 places, 2 weeks at my Local Primary, 1 week at a pharmacy, and a week at a dental practioneers. The dental practioneers would presumably be the bst work experience, personally; combining elements of a vast spectrum of surgical procedures, consultations (like a GP), and in addition to this, understanding the risks with Xrays, and the routine analysis when a dental practioneer attempts to find other practial alternatives to an issue, within the patients best interest. The school, clearly developed cooridation and communication skills, enhancing interaction with the vulnerable of society, but also recognising the volatility of children, and finding peaceful solutions to conflict, which you may have to experience as a medic. Pharmacy, brought out the reality of the NHS, the contstant pressures & struggles faced by all aspects of the medical industry. Moreover, it highlighted the importance of the most minute details such as water, nothing should be overlooked in medicine.

Of course, I've applied for further GP, hospital work experience.

it is also good to have volunteering work at a carehome.

wow thats amazing! I've organised 3 placements at different hospital (GOSH as an example) and a week at a care home! I've already done a week at the kidney/renal department at a hospital and a pharmacy. I volunteered at a hospital for 6 months! would you reccomend anything else or do I have a wide variety ! :smile:
yeah, im doing chem, bio, maths and rs. Ive applied for bristol, UEA, dundee and QMUL

AH Im first year at college, so applying this year! Good luck!:smile: im thinking of applying to Bristol to
wow thats amazing! I've organised 3 placements at different hospital (GOSH as an example) and a week at a care home! I've already done a week at the kidney/renal department at a hospital and a pharmacy. I volunteered at a hospital for 6 months! would you reccomend anything else or do I have a wide variety ! :smile:

You're pretty much sorted.
Original post by Science99999
You're pretty much sorted.

hope so! haha
Hi,

As mentioned above, quality over quantity! What you gained from your experience is more important than the amount of time spent doing it and being able to reflect on that experience and how it has changed your perspective or skills you’ve developed that can translate into being a medical student/doctor is what most medical schools are looking for.

I’m currently doing medicine at UEA and when I applied my experience looked a little like this:

- 1 hour a week volunteering at a stroke charity for 8 months (it wasn’t medical as such and involved making teas and playing card games but it showed commitment and compassion and improved my communication skills with the older age groups which is what majority of patients will be when you’re working)
- 3 days at A&E local hospital (I found it difficult to get any clinical experience and medical schools will understand this)
- 5 days working in microbiology (helped me realised that I’d prefer a job which involved more communication)

As you can see my experience isn’t that comprehensive but I still managed to get all of my offers because I was able to reflect upon these experiences - I hope this helps and if you have any more questions feel free to ask!

Task UEA Official UG Rep
(edited 6 years ago)
How much work experience would you say is "enough".

Hi there!

Each med school has different requirements for medical work experience - for example, some require two weeks of a placement, while some require voluntary experience. You can see their individual requirements on our Medical School Work Experience Requirements page.

Hope this helps! :smile:
The Medic Portal

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending