The Student Room Group

Best at medium Uni or being worst at top Uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RZZR
Is it better going to a medium ranked University and being the top student there or is it better going to a top Univesity but being an average student? I am unsure at about which type of university to pick.

The latter if you want to be stretched, the former if you want to have it a little easier, although I don't know how much of a range there is for your subject. It's also by no means certain that you'd be the best.
(edited 6 years ago)
Forget about being "top student", no one cares about whos best in university. It's not like high school or sixth form when there's 20 in one class, just focus on you
Reply 22
Original post by RZZR
Im in year 13 and im predicted triple A

If you are in Y13 have you already applied? If so, to where and what are the offers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by Doonesbury
If you are in Y13 have you already applied? If so, to where and what are the offers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have applied to Kent, Southampton, Liverpool, Cass Business School and LSE. Offers range from AAB to AAA
Reply 24
Original post by RZZR
I have applied to Kent, Southampton, Liverpool, Cass Business School and LSE. Offers range from AAB to AAA

Congrats on your offers :smile: So the conventional wisdom is that the London universities tend to have good "city firm" connections. I know precisely nothing about Actuarial Science but I suspect Cass would be the usually prefered university for that course.

And for any of those, if you have the grades you won't be "worst at a top uni".

But I'll say again, apply to the course you like at a university you want to spend 3 years at.
Reply 25
Congrats on your offers :smile: So the conventional wisdom is that the London universities tend to have good "city firm" connections. I know precisely nothing about Actuarial Science but I suspect Cass would be the usually prefered university for that course.

And for any of those, if you have the grades you won't be "worst at a top uni".

But I'll say again, apply to the course you like at a university you want to spend 3 years at.

Thanks. Is it easier to get a 1st degree at a medium university than a top university?
Reply 26
Original post by RZZR
Thanks. Is it easier to get a 1st degree at a medium university than a top university?

Original post by RZZR

In actuarial science? no
Reply 27
In actuarial science? no

Why not? Would I be doing the same final exam if I was at either university?
Reply 28
Original post by RZZR
Why not? Would I be doing the same final exam if I was at either university?

No you won't. Each university has it's own course and sets it's own exams (or coursework, etc - not everything is assessed by exam). If a course is accredited it will contain a certain amount of core content, but there may be variation on what else there is, and how it is all taught and assessed, from university to university.

Compare Cass
http://www.lse.ac.uk/Study-at-LSE/Undergraduate/Degree-programmes-2018/BSc-Actuarial-Science

And LSE
http://www.lse.ac.uk/Study-at-LSE/Undergraduate/Degree-programmes-2018/BSc-Actuarial-Science

etc
etc

They are different. Which course(s) do you prefer?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending