The Student Room Group

Which newspaper do you recommend?

Just looking for a mind expanding newspaper that is not bias nor has occasional rants on topics that have been discussed billions of times.

Whatcha got?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Oneiropólos
Just looking for a mind expanding newspaper that is not bias nor has occasional rants on topics that have been discussed billions of times.

Whatcha got?

Daily Mail. 😂.

The Telegraph? The Guardian?
Guardian :3
Reply 3
Every paper has a bias to some degree.

If you want balance then your best bet is to read a few.
The Times.

The evening Standard is free so that might be a shout.
The Telegraph, The Financial Times and I guess sometimes the Economist ( whether you define it as a newspaper is up to you)
I would have said the Guardian a year ago but even then it wasn’t as good as its old articles, and now as a tabloid... it speaks for itself

Whatcha got?

Original post by CountBrandenburg
The Telegraph, The Financial Times and I guess sometimes the Economist ( whether you define it as a newspaper is up to you)
I would have said the Guardian a year ago but even then it wasn’t as good as its old articles, and now as a tabloid... it speaks for itself

If you are a Uni student you may be able to get the FT online for free, worth checking.
Reply 7
IMO finding an unbiased paper is akin to finding a unicorn - it isnt going to happen. As Drewski said for a balanced view you should probably read several from across the spectrum.
Personally i'd recommend the FT and The Guardian oh and the Sunday Sport :colone:
I tend to read the magazines and periodicals more though such as The Economist, Spectator, New Statesman and foreign Policy
Arguably it's more important to understand the biases of a paper rather than necessarily finding one without. I agree with Drewski you're best off reading a range of opinions before forming your own.
Take many newspapers. In general, you should get your news from a variety of different sources.
If you're a right wing wanting a confirmation bias I recommend the daily mail, breitbart, infowars and the hill.

If you have a brain and common sense then read the FT, telegraph, Guardian and NY times or just any respectable institution.
if you're 50 years old, angry, conservative and middle aged - the daily mail
The telegraph is the most unbiased newspaper out there, a slight tendency towards the conservatives but nothing dramatic.

The guardian used to be a credible newspaper but is shifting ever more to the left with their articles on climate change and the "collapse of the Tories".
Reply 13

Whatcha got?

None! They are all corrupt in their own rights with their BS propaganda
the I is non biased and rather cheap, but most papers have a sense of bias to them. Aljera (?) is another non biased news source but it's online.

Whatcha got?

The Times, informative first half of the paper followed by a very interesting comment section featuring opinions and write ins. Also has some of the best sports reporting.
Reply 16

Whatcha got?

Infowars

Spoiler

All newspapers are biased. You are being sold stories filtered through the political opinions of the columnist and the editor. On top of this, it's very unlikely you are being given all the information. Reading several papers helps, but a lot of the time it's essentially the same thing copy-pasted (figuratively or sometimes literally) between articles, especially if it's web journalism.

Read everything with a pinch of salt.
Original post by Andrew97
The Times.

The evening Standard is free so that might be a shout.

Plus Gideon is the editor so you know it is going to be great.
Original post by Caesar333
If you're a right wing wanting a confirmation bias I recommend the daily mail, breitbart, infowars and the hill.

If you have a brain and common sense then read the FT, telegraph, Guardian and NY times or just any respectable institution.
They're all as bad as each other. It's not productive to brandish your ideological opponents the way you have.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending