The Student Room Group

What should I choose if I want to be a paramedic?

For A-levels, I am going to choose:
Biology
Sociology
Media (because I have nothing else to do plus I am getting good grades at it).
However, should I pick sociology/psychology/RE
Reply 1
Original post by ProStudent
For A-levels, I am going to choose:
Biology
Sociology
Media (because I have nothing else to do plus I am getting good grades at it).
However, should I pick sociology/psychology/RE

Google it
Search paramedic courses and see if there are any specific A levels that you need
If not, choose by the one that you enjoy most and got the highest mark at GCSE
I've researched this quite thoroughly as I wanted to be a paramedic too for a while - for the majority of uni courses on either Paramedic Practice or Paramedic Science (you will need one of these to become a paramedic) you will need a Biology and a Chemistry A-Level. This just makes the course at uni so much easier. On the other hand if you don't go to uni for Paramedic training, you could always try for the internship option, but chances come few and far between. You will also be 1000x more likely to get offered a job as a paramedic if you have copious experience volunteering with St John's Ambulance or the Red Cross or some other health organisation, and if you have first aid qualifications already. Good luck!
Original post by greycorns
I've researched this quite thoroughly as I wanted to be a paramedic too for a while - for the majority of uni courses on either Paramedic Practice or Paramedic Science (you will need one of these to become a paramedic) you will need a Biology and a Chemistry A-Level. This just makes the course at uni so much easier. On the other hand, if you don't go to uni for Paramedic training, you could always try for the internship option, but chances come few and far between. You will also be 1000x more likely to get offered a job as a paramedic if you have copious experience volunteering with St John's Ambulance or the Red Cross or some other health organisation and if you have first aid qualifications already. Good luck!

I'm good at biology, but I am crap at chemistry. Will that affect me?
I am also doing some work with st johns ambulance over the summer.
Original post by ProStudent
I'm good at biology, but I am crap at chemistry. Will that affect me?
I am also doing some work with st johns ambulance over the summer.

Nah you should be fine tbh, but be aware also that you may need a driving licence for some courses since you do real life placements and stuff.
Original post by greycorns
Nah you should be fine tbh, but be aware also that you may need a driving licence for some courses since you do real life placements and stuff.

Thx

Quick Reply

Latest