The Student Room Group

I have some questions to get into Cambridge for computer science from a Y11

1) I know physics is almost an unofficial requirement, but I dont really love physics and therefore I dont think I will do it for A level, am I at a disadvantage?

2) Are these A levels ok? Maths, Computer Science, Business Studies (+ possibly F. Maths), what about if I decide not to do F. maths? Do I even stand a chance without physics and with Business? (I really enjoy business)

3) What things can I do know to better my chances? I already do a lot of outside reading due to my passion for cryptocurrencies.

Thanks.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Maths is 100% essential and fm is the second most useful subject you can take. Why do you want to take business studies if you want to do computer science at uni?
Reply 2
Do maths, business studies and further maths
Original post by black1blade
Maths is 100% essential and fm is the second most useful subject you can take. Why do you want to take business studies if you want to do computer science at uni?

Love learning about business, how to grow one, how to make one how to manage one. also

I was also considering going for a mba in business management later on
Reply 4
Original post by 32894075890234
1) I know physics is almost an unofficial requirement, but I dont really love physics and therefore I dont think I will do it for A level, am I at a disadvantage?

2) Are these A levels ok? Maths, Computer Science, Business Studies (+ possibly F. Maths), what about if I decide not to do maths? Do I even stand a chance without physics and with Business? (I really enjoy business)

3) What things can I do know to better my chances? I already do a lot of outside reading due to my passion for cryptocurrencies.

Thanks.

1) Physics is preferred, but you are correct it's not required. If you don't think you will do well in it don't do it.
2) Maths is required. FM is preferred. 3 good subjects are better than 4, so I'd advise not doing business studies. A*A*A in Maths, FM and CS, is better than A*AAA
3) Keep doing what your doing.
Original post by aceplayyt
Do maths, business studies and further maths

No way, I love computing and Im pretty confident I can get a A* so why in the world would I not do it
Reply 6
Love learning about business, how to grow one, how to make one how to manage one. also

I was also considering going for a mba in business management later on

You would normally only do an MBA 5 years (minimum) AFTER you have graduated and are have started on a professional career.

There's plenty of excellent management books to read - a better use of time than adding a 4th A-level.
Reply 7
why in the world would I not do it

You asked the question and have been given the same answer by 2 people. Anyway it's of course up to you...
Reply 8

2) Are these A levels ok? Maths, Computer Science, Business Studies (+ possibly F. Maths), what about if I decide not to do maths? Do I even stand a chance without physics and with Business? (I really enjoy business)

Thanks.
If you don't take Maths you'd be one of their quickest rejections. If you don't take Further Maths then it's very unlikely that you will get an interview. If you don't take Physics then that does lower you chances. For Cambridge maths ability is everything.

If you don't have the ability to get A* in both Maths and Further Maths then don't even consider Cambridge. Several years ago you may have been ok but in recent years the bar has effectively been raised so many notches that exceptional students are being rejected.
Reply 9

Thanks.

I'd definitely say do maths and further maths or you'll really struggle with CSAT (the entrance test) and the interviews (although you'll have to do loads of extra work for them). They also very strongly prefer that you do further maths to physics or computer science or anything else. So maths and further maths are almost compulsory if you have the option to do them.

As well as maths and further maths, it's up to you what else you do. I would recommend that you do physics or computer science (not computing). They like computer science A level. They don't like computing so check which one it is that your school does.

As long as you are doing maths and further maths and another not entirely irrelevant subject and have very good grades, you should get an interview. It mostly comes down to the interview and CSAT exam. It is much more important to be adequately prepared for these than the exact details of the subjects you are taking (computer science vs physics). Do some reading, programming and discrete maths questions in your own time and you'll have an alright chance.
(edited 6 years ago)

Thanks.

Maths is absolutely essential, and Further Maths would be ideal. I would do Maths, Further Maths and one (possibly both) of Business and COmputing. Have you considered Economics? It might be viewed as a little more rigorous than Business. I've never heard of physics being an "unofficial requirement".

As for bettering your chances, I'd say get involved with competitions, especially those run by Oxford and Cambridge. For example, the British Informatics Olympiad, UKMT Maths Challenges (possibly leading to the British Mathematics Olympiads) and the Oxford Bebras challenge. You might need to pester your school/college to enter you next year, but they're well worth it - if you do well, you get invited to events at Oxford and Cambridge (I even got a 9-day trip to Hungary!) which of course means big personal-statement cred.
Let’s be honest, the fact you’re even CONSIDERING not even taking maths at all, let alone F Maths shows that you’ve got absolutely NO CHANCE. Your maths needs to be on another level, which is clearly not the case if you have even the faintest desire to take a BTEC subject like business.

Coming from a pooled compsci who applied this year (2018 entry).
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by joey-G
I'd definitely say do maths and further maths or you'll really struggle with CSAT (the entrance test) and the interviews (although you'll have to do loads of extra work for them). They also very strongly prefer that you do further maths to physics or computer science or anything else. So maths and further maths are almost compulsory if you have the option to do them.

As well as maths and further maths, it's up to you what else you do. I would recommend that you do physics or computer science (not computing). They like computer science A level. They don't like computing so check which one it is that your school does.

As long as you are doing maths and further maths and another not entirely irrelevant subject and have very good grades, you should get an interview. It mostly comes down to the interview and CSAT exam. It is much more important to be adequately prepared for these than the exact details of the subjects you are taking (computer science vs physics). Do some reading, programming and discrete maths questions in your own time and you'll have an alright chance.

computing A level doesnt exist, I meant computer science
Original post by Rasmalaii
Let’s be honest, the fact you’re even CONSIDERING not even taking maths at all shows that you’ve got absolutely no chance. Your maths needs to be on another level, which is clearly not the case if you have even the faintest desire to take a btec subject like business
Coming from a pooled compsci who applied this year (2018 entry).

Sorry I was never considering not doing maths, I was considering not doing Further maths, I'll make it clear
Original post by Doonesbury
You asked the question and have been given the same answer by 2 people. Anyway it's of course up to you...

What 2 people said reasons why I shouldn;t do computer science A level
Reply 15
computing A level doesnt exist, I meant computer science

That's cool then. The exam boards are still switching over my year so they were very specific at open days and stuff.
Do econ instead of business
Reply 17
What 2 people said reasons why I shouldn;t do computer science A level

Ah my mistake, I misread that you preferred to do business studies as a 3rd A-level. So to be clear, FM > Computer Science >> Business
(edited 6 years ago)

2) Are these A levels ok? Maths, Computer Science, Business Studies (+ possibly F. Maths), what about if I decide not to do F. maths? Do I even stand a chance without physics and with Business? (I really enjoy business)

Thanks.

maths, f maths, comp science and physics. you've got to show cambridge you can cope with the rigours of 4 traditional a levels.
Maths and f maths are absolutely necessary. You then need one more respected science subject, physics is most similar to what you’ll be doing in computer science at cambridge of the sciences so most people who fit in will have chosen it. There’s a lot of systems courses in computer science that require an understanding of physics, not super in depth physics but at least a level physics level.

You could consider further pure additional maths, but really if you’re doing further maths and computer science you’ll already be overlapping like half of physics.

Latest

Trending

Trending