The Student Room Group

I'm having trouble finding historians for my Russia coursework. Please help?

'To what extent was the Stalinist Terror in the 1930s typical of repression in Tsarist and Soviet Russia in the years 1855-1964?' is the question that I have to answer and my teacher very recently decided that the historians I had been writing about previously weren't good enough for the specific question, despite approving many times before. If anyone has any suggestions of historians to use could you please let me know? Thank you!:heart:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by DanMarable
'To what extent was the Stalinist Terror in the 1930s typical of repression in Tsarist and Soviet Russia in the years 1855-1964?' is the question that I have to answer and my teacher very recently decided that the historians I had been writing about previously weren't good enough for the specific question, despite approving many times before. If anyone has any suggestions of historians to use could you please let me know? Thank you!:heart:

You really are going to have to do some research and pick up your textbook or use a library.

You arent going to learn anything if I find them for you.

Taking what your History teacher says then yu are after two sorts of Hisorians.

1. People with first hand knowledge and living at the time.
2. Experts who are still respected and have had a good opportunity to assess.

It sounds like you are not using experts and fr that you need to use books that have depth rather than just your basic books. Look in the footnotes and see which ones they have used. Your teacher wants to know you have done enough research.
Reply 2
I'd give Orlando Figues, Robert Massie [not sure if he wrote about the terror though], Anne Applebaum and Martin Sixsmith [its a general history of Russia through the ages but a good book none the less] a read as a broad overview for the period and especially around the revolution.

What kind of argument are you making and what authors did your teacher pooh-pooh though as there is a veritable smorgasbord of authors to choose from depending on the argument made :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending