The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

English language requirement

Hi guys, I am an international student who has completed her GCSEs in 2016. My qualification is from the Pearson Edexcel IGCSE English Language A exam board, I was wondering whether LSE would accept this as proof of English proficiency? I asked LSE and they said as long as it includes speaking and listening it should be fine, I do remember doing that but it does not say it on my qualification?

Thanks!!
Original post by goldyfish
Hi guys, I am an international student who has completed her GCSEs in 2016. My qualification is from the Pearson Edexcel IGCSE English Language A exam board, I was wondering whether LSE would accept this as proof of English proficiency? I asked LSE and they said as long as it includes speaking and listening it should be fine, I do remember doing that but it does not say it on my qualification?

Thanks!!

Verify with Cambridge, which version you did and get a copy of the specification.

Normally websites for unis confirm all qualifications they consider acceptable, but cant see it with LSE.

i.e compare

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/policies/englang

with

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Graduate/Prospective-students/Entry-requirements/English-language-requirements

Talk to the international department.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2

Thanks!!

Hi, I am almost the same situation as you are except mine is CIE ICGSE.
I am exempted . Does your offer not specify that ?
Reply 3
Original post by BLMC
Hi, I am almost the same situation as you are except mine is CIE ICGSE.
I am exempted . Does your offer not specify that ?

Hi,by 'exempted' do you mean they do recognise it? Have you checked with the admission office?

my offer says:

This offer is subject to you obtaining:
Grades AAA at A level. Plus provide certified documentation of your English language qualification and send to the School by 1 August 2018. Note: Results must be from the first certification of your forthcoming qualifications, as indicated on your UCAS application.You are required to submit certified documenation of the following qualification(s), which must be received as soon as possible and no later than 1 August 2018: - GCSE English Language, taken in 06/2016 Please see your Undergraduate Offer Guide 2018 for important information about how to correctly provide verification of your qualifications.

The trouble is, it says 'GCSE English Language' and I did IGCSE, which is why I wondered whether they recognise it... it also makes me worry if I've accidentally put on my UCAS that I did GCSE English Language...
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
Verify with Cambridge, which version you did and get a copy of the specification.

Normally websites for unis confirm all qualifications they consider acceptable, but cant see it with LSE.

i.e compare

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/policies/englang

with

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Graduate/Prospective-students/Entry-requirements/English-language-requirements

Talk to the international department.

Hi, I can't find the specification anymore because with the new GCSE system the specification on the website was replaced with a new spec with grades 9-1... Im not sure whether it would be the same?
Hi, I can't find the specification anymore because with the new GCSE system the specification on the website was replaced with a new spec with grades 9-1... Im not sure whether it would be the same?

Contact Cambridge with as many details as possible so they can id you and your qualification.
Reply 6
Hi,by 'exempted' do you mean they do recognise it? Have you checked with the admission office?

my offer says:

This offer is subject to you obtaining:
Grades AAA at A level. Plus provide certified documentation of your English language qualification and send to the School by 1 August 2018. Note: Results must be from the first certification of your forthcoming qualifications, as indicated on your UCAS application.You are required to submit certified documenation of the following qualification(s), which must be received as soon as possible and no later than 1 August 2018: - GCSE English Language, taken in 06/2016 Please see your Undergraduate Offer Guide 2018 for important information about how to correctly provide verification of your qualifications.

The trouble is, it says 'GCSE English Language' and I did IGCSE, which is why I wondered whether they recognise it... it also makes me worry if I've accidentally put on my UCAS that I did GCSE English Language...

It clearly implied that you are exempted from taking IELTS etc . You do not need to check with Cambridge & all, LSE knows your qualification well enough .

Your Edexcel IGCSE English is also qualify for exemption PROVIDED you have 5 years studying English medium at your school . It's in LSE website somewhere .

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Assets/PDF/2018-UG-Offer-Guide.pdf

NOW, your biggest problem is , you declared a wrong qualification in Ucas ! You have a lot of explaining to do .You better write to them (all universities) that you have accidentally put in a wrong qualification.

Good Luck
Reply 7
Original post by BLMC
It clearly implied that you are exempted from taking IELTS etc . You do not need to check with Cambridge & all, LSE knows your qualification well enough .

Your Edexcel IGCSE English is also qualify for exemption PROVIDED you have 5 years studying English medium at your school . It's in LSE website somewhere .

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Assets/PDF/2018-UG-Offer-Guide.pdf

NOW, your biggest problem is , you declared a wrong qualification in Ucas ! You have a lot of explaining to do .You better write to them (all universities) that you have accidentally put in a wrong qualification.

Good Luck

Hi, you said that you are exempted, does your offer asks for 'IGCSE English Language' instead of the 'GCSE English Language' specified on my offer? (I want to double check whether I have put in the wrong qualification before informing the unis...)

Yeah Ive checked on the offer guide, I'm also exempted with the Edexcel IGCSE English Language(and with my speaking and listening coursework, I think I don't have to have 5 years studying English medium at my school?)

You have really got me worried😂 I wonder how this would affect my offers...
Reply 8
Hi, you said that you are exempted, does your offer asks for 'IGCSE English Language' instead of the 'GCSE English Language' specified on my offer? (I want to double check whether I have put in the wrong qualification before informing the unis...)

Yeah Ive checked on the offer guide, I'm also exempted with the Edexcel IGCSE English Language(and with my speaking and listening coursework, I think I don't have to have 5 years studying English medium at my school?)

You have really got me worried😂 I wonder how this would affect my offers...

Hi , Sorry for scaring you , I just want to be honest .

You can check what you put at UCAS thru TRACK ! It is there !

Check first before you do anything .......good luck again

ps....by the way , where are you from ?
Reply 9
Original post by BLMC
Hi , Sorry for scaring you , I just want to be honest .

You can check what you put at UCAS thru TRACK ! It is there !

Check first before you do anything .......good luck again

ps....by the way , where are you from ?

Yeah I've checked, annoying it only shows the exam board which is Edexcel, it doesn't show whether it's GCSE or IGCSE, and as Edexcel also have GCSE English, I'm really not sure..

Im from China, wbu? :smile:
Reply 10
Yeah I've checked, annoying it only shows the exam board which is Edexcel, it doesn't show whether it's GCSE or IGCSE, and as Edexcel also have GCSE English, I'm really not sure..

Im from China, wbu? :smile:

If that's the case , just sent your certified certificate to them . Don't do anything else . Assume that you put it correctly . You'll be good .

In fact, I think you put it correctly .

I'm from Malaysia - Chinese too .

Happy Chinese New year :h:
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending