The Student Room Group

Help deciding which car to get (new driver)

I’m a new driver, currently doing my lessons atm and saving up for a car.

I have two options, aVolkswagen golf or a bmw 1 series 2007. The thing is I’m not really sure which one is best for me, ngl I don’t know much about cars like that.

I’m 18, currently doing apprenticeship in estate agents and I am able to afford and run a car-I’m aware the insurance will be from £2,000-£3,000 for my age and I’m ready to pay. My friends and family are telling me to get something small but the car I want is small and I don’t wanna buy a cheap car then it ends up breaking down within the first three months. I wanna get something reliable and yet affordable. My budget for a car and the insurance is £5,000

Any suggestions are welcome.

18 years old

Currently doing driving

Car+insurance budget £5,000

Living in London(east)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Imafidon

Sorry but your friends and family are right - but you of course, being 18 years old think you know better. Neither of these cars are suitable for first-time drivers. For goodness sakes, don't go for anything larger than a 1.5 engine as your first car unless you're asking for an accident. You probably don’t want to read this, but you will be better off and safer in a smaller car until you've built more experience on the road. You are also highly misinformed - small cars are not necessarily cheaper or more unreliable.

Both of these cars you mentioned are expensive to insure; just because you can pay for it, doesn't mean that you should. They are more expensive, precisely because insurers believe you will be more likely to have an accident. It would be terribly unwise for no real gain.

And personally, I don’t rate BMWs for reliability. Yes, they are premium cars, but in actual fact they have a very poor track record and score amongst the lowest for reliability across most manufacturers. The most recent BMW 1-series has been officially recalled TWELVE times, for some quite serious problems. Repairing the car also comes at a premium and will be eye-wateringly expensive. The Golf is a nice car; out of the two I'd definitely choose this one, but I think the smaller Polo would be far more suitable for a first-time driver.

tl;dr heed the advice given to you. Get yourself a VW Polo (it’s a great quality, reliable car BTW) and put the extra money you've saved into a rainy-day fund.
As soemone who knows (wrote off my first car in 6 months) go for something small and cheap. Fiesta, Polo, Ibiza. And a small engine. Just build up a years driving experince and insurance NCD before a bigger car.
Reply 3

I have two options, aVolkswagen golf or a bmw 1 series 2007. The thing is I’m not really sure which one is best for me, ngl I don’t know much about cars like that.

No
Get a small car that is really cheap to insure - only a few hundred per year
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/used-cars?search-target=usedcars&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly+New&onesearchad=New&price-search-type=total-price&price-to=500&postcode=ne463jl&isBuying=true
Reply 4
Original post by Jonnyboy799
As soemone who knows (wrote off my first car in 6 months) go for something small and cheap. Fiesta, Polo, Ibiza. And a small engine. Just build up a years driving experince and insurance NCD before a bigger car.

Could you let me know the best polo one to get and what price it is?
Reply 6
Had a 52 reg Polo. It was comically lacking power and technology but it did for the first year and a half whilst I was a bit of a maniac. I then upgraded to golf with a turbo, couple of years old with way more tech... and a couple months ago was going to swap to an amg a45 but decided on switching jobs/careers so couldn't afford it :frown: No point getting a fancy car straight away unless mummy and daddy are rich. You'll no doubt dink a door, crash or reverse into something within first year.
Reply 7
Original post by Menrva
Sorry but your friends and family are right - but you of course, being 18 years old think you know better. Neither of these cars are suitable for first-time drivers. For goodness sakes, don't go for anything larger than a 1.5 engine as your first car unless you're asking for an accident. You probably don’t want to read this, but you will be better off and safer in a smaller car until you've built more experience on the road. You are also highly misinformed - small cars are not necessarily cheaper or more unreliable.

Both of these cars you mentioned are expensive to insure; just because you can pay for it, doesn't mean that you should. They are more expensive, precisely because insurers believe you will be more likely to have an accident. It would be terribly unwise for no real gain.

And personally, I don’t rate BMWs for reliability. Yes, they are premium cars, but in actual fact they have a very poor track record and score amongst the lowest for reliability across most manufacturers. The most recent BMW 1-series has been officially recalled TWELVE times, for some quite serious problems. Repairing the car also comes at a premium and will be eye-wateringly expensive. The Golf is a nice car; out of the two I'd definitely choose this one, but I think the smaller Polo would be far more suitable for a first-time driver.

tl;dr heed the advice given to you. Get yourself a VW Polo (it’s a great quality, reliable car BTW) and put the extra money you've saved into a rainy-day fund.

I actually read it. I’m not a big fan of the polo tbh “, I’d rather go for the golf and spend about £1,000-1,500 on it. I should think I’m able to find a reliable one with atleast 100,000m for that price. What engine size would you recommend pls? I need a golf, what engine size do you recommend ?
I actually read it. I’m not a big fan of the polo tbh “, I’d rather go for the golf and spend about £1,000-1,500 on it. I should think I’m able to find a reliable one with atleast 100,000m for that price. What engine size would you recommend pls? I need a golf, what engine size do you recommend ?

You don't 'need' a golf - be sensible - the insurance will be crazy. Go for a Fiesta, Citigo, Up!, or something like that.

Plenty of time later to have a better car - surely, where you live, public tranpsort is better for work anyway?
You could get a 1.6ltr petrol.
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201801202928866?price-from=1500&model=GOLF&radius=1501&make=VOLKSWAGEN&advertising-location=at_cars&price-to=3500&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&sort=sponsored&postcode=bn21nb&page=1

Why not go to an car insurace aggregator site like http://www.gocompare.com and do some look at insurance prices. Do one for a polo. Golf. Fiesta.

O and look at prices or pertol vs diesel car.
(edited 6 years ago)
Tbh either polo or golf is gonna be pretty crap at this pricepoint, age, and mileage.
Original post by DarthRoar
Tbh either polo or golf is gonna be pretty crap at this pricepoint, age, and mileage.

What amazing car do you suggest then? First year after passing test is when you learn. Shouldn't really matter in what. But he fancies a golf.
Reply 12

If you are insistent on a Golf, for your budget you'd probably have to get a Mk6 (2008-2012) and will probably need to get an entry level S model either a 1.2 or 1.4 Tsi Petrol as these are lowest insurance. You can probably get one for about £3,000 but the lowest mileage examples will be closer to the top end of your budget if not over it. Mileage isn't everything, general condition is more important but I personally wouldn't buy a car with 100,000 or more mileage.

I honestly have no idea why the Polo doesn't appeal - it's not even like you need the space of the Golf. Not to insult Golf enthusiasts, but the Polo is basically a Golf in a smaller chassis. When you can only afford an entry level model, it barely makes any difference.
Everything from the style to the layout inside is similar to the Golf and you will get more for you money by getting a Polo.
(edited 6 years ago)
look at buying a car that you know won't depreciate in value significantly over the years to come.
try and get the insurance as cheap as you can because you can get the money back from selling the car but you can't get any money back from insurance. insure your mum or your dad or someone with a good driving experience as a named driver on the policy, it lowers the cost.
as for which car, avoid the BMW 1 series and go for a golf. they are generally more reliable and cheaper anyway
For 5k I'd rather have a semi decent golf and be insured than a banged up 1 series. The 1 series is a good practice car, but is a bit on the pricier side to actually own. I know you don't like the golf, in which case, I'd still say buy one anyway, get a rubbish old one that you'd be lucky to sell in 2 years time and get some of your money back and then buy a decent golf, not one that's already been pushed to its' limits. Older cars aren't even depreciating that much in value anymore because people are buying lots of new cars or financing reasonably aged ones (like 13-15 plates), so old cars that have all the lovely traits for cheap insurance/tax etc are in short supply (plus loads up people took up the scrap scheme) - when I was a kid you'd pay someone to take a non runner off your drive, now you can sell it for like 400 quid.

A few hundred a year for a new driver? Good luck.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 15
I’m sorry guys, I just looked back at my first initial question and saw that i said bmw 1 series. Lol I actually meant bmw 3 series, like them e46 or sth. It’s a small car cuz I’m the only one using it and I don’t need a lot of space. My company will pay part of the insurance because I will be using it as a company car aswel for viewing properties (estate agents)

I sincerely do apologise for the misunderstanding.

I’m aware the 1 series is really expensive to insure
Even worse actually, the age would work against you and it's not small lol (the 1 series however, is). Also first impressions are everything, if I saw a fresh faced, young driver in a well-kept first car a part of me would say "hey this is the every day man who just wants to put me in a home."

If I saw some jumped up recently-post-adolescent drive up in a banged up E46 with several dozen thousand miles on the clock to the point it's not even going to feel like a BMW experience driving it anymore, harsh as this would sound my initial thought would be "What a tosser."
(edited 6 years ago)

I’m 18, currently doing apprenticeship in estate agents and I am able to afford and run a car-I’m aware the insurance will be from £2,000-£3,000 for my age and I’m ready to pay. My friends and family are telling me to get something small but the car I want is small and I don’t wanna buy a cheap car then it ends up breaking down within the first three months. I wanna get something reliable and yet affordable. My budget for a car and the insurance is £5,000

18 years old

Currently doing driving

Living in London(east)

18 years old

Currently doing driving

Living in London(east)

For a first car I wouldn’t go higher than a 1.4 engine, 1.6 at a push depending on insurance but Ford Fiesta (zetec are really nice if you want the more sporty design), corsa or Ibiza would be the best way to go I’m currently looking and that’s the advice I’ve been given and also a lot of people have said to try avoid white cars because it’s their biggest regret but totally up to you!
Reply 18
Well thanks guys for the advice. I have taken y’all advice into consideration. I know a little bit more about the whole new driving thing now. My budget for a car was around £1500 and I actually just found a car in a dealership. It’s a nice comfy 2 door car with low mileage and probably a low insurance charge (have been told by the advertisement people) and I’m looking at getting it. Saves me about £500 and yeah it’s alright I guess for like 1-2 years atleast.

I really appreciate the kinder response and thanks y’all. 9E32529C-F9AF-4DD1-B6BA-FDCC46ED266E.jpg.jpeg

It’s something like this- a Peugeot
I am in a similar situation as you but my budget is slightly higher.

You might want to check out Seat ibiza 1.2/1.4 tsi those will be around £3-4k for the car and £1.5k for insurance. Although they seem to be scarce in my area.

Another one is ford fiesta, most of my friends have one but they are cheap to insure, maintain and to buy actually

Quick Reply

Latest