The Student Room Group

Got unfairly rejected from King's College London due to their error. What to do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by 999tigger
As I said I would have agreed with threeports interpretation and checked. the appeals officer has the power to reverse it. If it was just fee status then have you even been made an offer yet. If you have appealed, then just wait and see.

Yeah let's see. Hoping for the best
The University clearly stated "We are able to extend this deadline UNTIL 15th August." How anyone on this thread deciphers it as "it is common sense they met 15th February" is really beyond my human understanding. The University clearly said "UNTIL 15TH AUGUST"! Please endeavor to read before you argue.

It is the university's fault. Their fault alone. They cannot punish you for their mistakes. If I were you, I would lawyer up aka sending them a nicely worded legal email! You cannot punish me for your mistakes. You cannot hold my future hostage because of your mistakes. Appeal!
Original post by LegalDiaries
The University clearly stated "We are able to extend this deadline UNTIL 15th August." How anyone on this thread deciphers it as "it is common sense they met 15th February" is really beyond my human understanding. The University clearly said "UNTIL 15TH AUGUST"! Please endeavor to read before you argue.

It is the university's fault. Their fault alone. They cannot punish you for their mistakes. If I were you, I would lawyer up aka sending them a nicely worded legal email! You cannot punish me for your mistakes. You cannot hold my future hostage because of your mistakes. Appeal!

The common sense comes from seeking clarification knowing that mistakes happen. Had they done so then they would have avoided this situation.
Reply 23
Seems quite unfair imo OP

but unfortunately at times life's not fair.............
Reply 24

Exactly my point. Rather people are blaming me for not asking about it. University could have their reasons to give me an extended deadline. I wouldn't know about their internal policies or reasons to give me more time but them writing 15th August but meaning 15th February is no way my fault and the only reply they gave me was an apology as if that really matters or helps me in any way. Let's see what they reply about the appeal.
(edited 6 years ago)

There's no point in "lawyering up" until the OP has worked through the formal internal appeal process....which they're doing and should have an answer to their first stage appeal (which is judged by the Head of School and is independent of the admissions team) within 20 working days of appealing. If they don't meet their own deadlines (2 weeks to acknowledge receipt of the appeal and further 2 weeks to make a decision) then it escalates to a stage 2 appeal.
Original post by PQ
There's no point in "lawyering up" until the OP has worked through the formal internal appeal process....which they're doing and should have an answer to their first stage appeal (which is judged by the Head of School and is independent of the admissions team) within 20 working days of appealing. If they don't meet their own deadlines (2 weeks to acknowledge receipt of the appeal and further 2 weeks to make a decision) then it escalates to a stage 2 appeal.

Exactly. It could have the opposite effect. It is also a very simple issue that you dont need to pay someone else to explain.
Original post by samiu12
On 3rd February Kings college sent me a fee status questionnaire and told me to submit it by one week. I was in Thailand at that time for my mother's treatment so I emailed them asking an extension and they replied back with a deadline of 15th August. On 16th they rejected me stating the reason that I did not complete it within a week I emailed them with the screenshots where they mentioned the deadline 15th August. They replied saying it was their error and they meant 15th February and there is nothing they can do now. Is there any action I can take against this?

I would think August was a weird deadline. But, you should try and appeal for it if it's a university that you really wanna go to. Explain the situation over the phone. Or, if you live near Kings then speak to someone face to face.
Reply 28
Well it's not like they were giving me an extension without any reason. I asked for an extension because of a sensitive issue and I assumed they were just kind enough to understand my situation and give me extra time. After all the reply was from Central Admission officer and she does have the power to give me that big of an extension.
(edited 6 years ago)
This is why I loathe admin.:mad:
To be fair, everyone reading this has the benefit of hindsight. It might be clear now that it was a mistake but just receiving that email, knowing that other universities had given similar deadlines, and most people being normally inclined to trust correspondence from reputable institutions, I don’t know if it’s as commonsense that a mistake was made as all that.

If it had been “55th February” or even “30th February” then yes, that would be an obvious error. But I wouldn’t normally expect someone to write August when they meant February as they are not remotely similar. Therefore in the absence of immediately contradictory information I would assume they meant to write August. But even then, I don’t see how the onus is on OP to notice the error and not the institution sending the email.
Original post by trou_noir
To be fair, everyone reading this has the benefit of hindsight. It might be clear now that it was a mistake but just receiving that email, knowing that other universities had given similar deadlines, and most people being normally inclined to trust correspondence from reputable institutions, I don’t know if it’s as commonsense that a mistake was made as all that.

If it had been “55th February” or even “30th February” then yes, that would be an obvious error. But I wouldn’t normally expect someone to write August when they meant February as they are not remotely similar. Therefore in the absence of immediately contradictory information I would assume they meant to write August. But even then, I don’t see how the onus is on OP to notice the error and not the institution sending the email.

I guarantee I would have confirmed it. Asking for a few weeks and being given several months rings alarm bells. the difference from your examples is they would say from the start the date whereas Kings said February.
They rejected me on the basis that I[m resitting my A Levels - I'm not, I had an extended period of time living in hospital which delayed my education and resulted in me sitting my A Levels split (two completed and doing a third now). They said to me that this process counts as a resit, but said to my tutor that it had been a misunderstanding. They have said that if I fill in a form, they'll reconsider, but I don't think I will. I felt let down by the whole situation and it's put me off them.

If your set on King's, it's definitely worth protesting. However, perhaps think about whether this is a university you truly want to attend. They don't seem to treat applicants very fairly.
Reply 33
Had it been a normal email from a normal person I surely would've understood it but are you seriously telling me that institutions like these shouldn't recheck their emails before sending them to applicants? Like I said these type of errors are not expected from highly ranked universities like them who has a big enough admission team to recheck these type of things and maybe if someone sending those emails can't get this much right or at least send a correction later shouldn't be in such an important position in the first place.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 34
yes exactly. If they can apologize and admit it was their fault what they could have done was to give me 24 hours at the very least because after all it was their error not mine. They didn't even agree to that when I requested them so I just hope my appeal will be judged fairly.
Original post by samiu12
Trust me after what they did I have no intention to go there either

Then it would be foolish of you to waste energy, time and resources on pursuing the matter any further. Concentrate on something useful.

Original post by samiu12
Had it been a normal email from a normal person I surely would've understood it but are you seriously telling me that institutions like these shouldn't recheck their emails before sending them to applicants?

I think you must realise by now that any person or institution can make a mistake. In general, the bigger the institution, the bigger the consequences of the mistake. You yourself have made a mistake in assuming it was reasonable that a request for a week's extension could sensibly lead to a six month extension.
Reply 36
Original post by Good bloke
Then it would be foolish of you to waste energy, time and resources on pursuing the matter any further. Concentrate on something useful.

I think you must realise by now that any person or institution can make a mistake. In general, the bigger the institution, the bigger the consequences of the mistake. You yourself have made a mistake in assuming it was reasonable that a request for a week's extension could sensibly lead to a six month extension.

So am I not a person too and could I not have made the mistake to assume too then? Either way rejection for their own error should've been dealt differently by them because these type of things defines the quality of the institute too.
Original post by samiu12
could I not have made the mistake to assume too then?

As I said, you did exactly that. It would be compounding the error, though, to waste your resources on pursuing it, given you have decided the university is not up to standard. Just put it behind you and move on.
Reply 38
Original post by Good bloke
As I said, you did exactly that. It would be compounding the error, though, to waste your resources on pursuing it, given you have decided the university is not up to standard. Just put it behind you and move on.

I'm not saying the university is below my standard. It is still one of the most reputed universities in the world and getting an offer from them would be my honor. I just did what was in my power and filed an appeal because what the admission team did was not correct either. If they don't revert the decision then it's just my luck and something to learn from.
Did you get an offer? Something similar happened to me today. I emailed them immediately but I’m not sure what will happen next.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending