The Student Room Group

Holiday and Scars

Basically I'm going on holiday in around 40 days to a pretty hot country (USA), meaning that I'll have to wear shorts etc. Since September I've been cutting myself, however stopped at the start of January because although it made me feel 'better', I remembered this holiday and the fact that I'll have to wear shorts. I was using bio oil in an attempt to fade the scars, however it hasn't been working and I'm accepting the fact that they won't fade and I'll have to tell my parents somehow. I don't want to tell them before we go away in case, for whatever reason, they cancel the holiday and completely freak out about me. However, I don't know if it's worth telling them myself or just let the scars 'speak for themselves' in a sense. I'm pretty certain both my parents have depression so maybe they'll understand, but they haven't recognised how I've been feeling at all and constantly disregard my feelings anyway. I don't really know what I'm asking here, basically just some sort of advice from someone who has one through this I guess. If anyone has any recommendations for a miracle scar fading product it would be much appreciated, but I doubt anything like that exists. Basically this website is the only place I can go to for help as I don't have any friends at all (but I'm not going into that now) and obviously I can't speak to my family.
Original post by originalmalfoy
Basically I'm going on holiday in around 40 days to a pretty hot country (USA), meaning that I'll have to wear shorts etc. Since September I've been cutting myself, however stopped at the start of January because although it made me feel 'better', I remembered this holiday and the fact that I'll have to wear shorts. I was using bio oil in an attempt to fade the scars, however it hasn't been working and I'm accepting the fact that they won't fade and I'll have to tell my parents somehow. I don't want to tell them before we go away in case, for whatever reason, they cancel the holiday and completely freak out about me. However, I don't know if it's worth telling them myself or just let the scars 'speak for themselves' in a sense. I'm pretty certain both my parents have depression so maybe they'll understand, but they haven't recognised how I've been feeling at all and constantly disregard my feelings anyway. I don't really know what I'm asking here, basically just some sort of advice from someone who has one through this I guess. If anyone has any recommendations for a miracle scar fading product it would be much appreciated, but I doubt anything like that exists. Basically this website is the only place I can go to for help as I don't have any friends at all (but I'm not going into that now) and obviously I can't speak to my family.

It sounds like you suspect that your parents would be sympathetic/understanding and supportive - you just don't know how and when to raise the topic.

I'd suggest you try to bring it up soon - don't wait until the holiday, they aren't going to cancel it because you've been depressed (but you also don't want what should be a nice family holiday disrupted by their reactions). Is there any way you could wear short pjs or similar around the house (preferably when one or both your parents are around, are in a good mood and you all have some time to talk without other pressures).

Alternatively is there anyone at school you could confide in? They might be able to help you bring this up and give you support and an impartial person to help keep things productive.

Quick Reply

Latest