The Student Room Group

Constant job rejections, what can I do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Gwilym101
I have been there, done that and got the t-shirt.

You cannot let this sort of thing eat at you (believe me I know that's more easily said than done). When it comes to rejections, you don't know where you were on the pecking order, you could have been 1 applicant away or 50, you don't know who else was applying. You may have been a great candidate but literally the undisputed master of that job happened to apply, you just don't know. Keep applying because you lose nothing by doing it and you'll eventually get lucky.

The issue with applying to "low skill" jobs, is that it is really obvious to employers that you're going to be there only until something else comes along. So typically they'll pass you over for being over qualified, unbelieveably frustrating I know but it's what happens. Employees represent a net loss for any company for quite a while.

Regarding your CV, first off, have more than one. If you're applying to different fields it needs to be tailored to the field (ideally to the individual job but that isn't always feasible.

Second, look at the jobs you are applying for in whatever fields and see what qualifications consistently come up as requirements. Make sure your CV gets across that you have them or are working towards them.

Third, volunteer. Perfectly good way of getting experience and goes great on a CV, it also just gets you out of the house and your mind focused on something other than your life.

Fourth, cover letters, use them. You're applying for a job, do some research on the job, on the company, on projects they may have undertaken, see if there's a named person in that company you can talk to about the job. Bring this across in the cover letter, it shows enthusiasm, dedication, research skills.

Thanks your detailed advice and info, I guessing I'm going have to revamp my CVs and cover letters again..
Reply 21
Original post by Skyewoods
Keep going and you'll get the right one.

Is your cv not getting any replies. Maybe you are looking for jobs which are far too competitive. Edit your cv so it includes all the buzz words that are in the job description.

Are you going to interviews but not getting the job. Use the STAR structure to write down examples. Practice with a friend and give a clear answer to why they should choose you.

Thanks, I'm not getting a huge amount of interviews/replies compared to the amount I'm applying for. But yes I may have revamp my CVs and Cover letters again..
Reply 22
Original post by cherlloydfan
have u had a job before and what is ur degree in and what grade and what university?

Hi , yes I've worked before - had positions in admin, customer service and temp jobs such as catering ,warehouse and some volunteering jobs. The grade I received was low.....that's why I took various jobs to hopefully boost my CV and make up for the low grade...If you still would like to know ..the degree I took was Bsc Logistics
Reply 23
I highly recommend doing some sort of Voluntary work, it is a great way to get to get into an organisation, develop new skills and build confidence.
Original post by KT06
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post my question as I'm not a student anymore , but any advice or info would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance - I'm a uni graduate and have been constantly rejected from job offers even if there is little skill or qualification requirements . I've been struggling to find work - so classified as long term unemployed, because of this gap on my CV I thought of taking any jobs such as retail and warehousing etc. However I'm getting constant job rejections and it is eating up my confidence aswell making me feel depressed. I'm thinking if I can't even get into jobs that require lower skills or qualifications what is the chance of me getting other jobs? It's not like I have no work experience at all, been told before I am multiskilled and my CV is ok....but the fact is I am currently unemployed and struggling to find work. Also have been advised to move out to places where there are more job opportunities. However if I can't get anything now ,how am I going to survive elsewhere? PLUS the grade I got from uni was low - Bsc Logistics 3rd.

Why did you get a 3rd? Were there mitigating circumstances? You could also getting a diploma or some other tangible qualification that might help (along with what other posters have already suggested).
Reply 25
Welcome to the job searching process. It's basically the wrong time of year to find work, here's the science bit:

Jan/Febr/Mar - all Xmas temps are now out of work, plus everyone doesn't want to leave their jobs due to the debt built up over Christmas

Apr/May - No one wants to leave their job because of Easter and paying for holidays.

Jun/Jul - Everyone is on said holidays, You maybe able to get seasonal work.

Aug/Sept - Everyone is on holiday or preparing for kids to go back to school.

Oct/Nov - the main time to find work BUT so are all the students looking for part time work for term time and Christmas

Dec- No one wants to leave their jobs due to Xmas, bit you can pick up temping retail work.

and so the vicious cycle continues. You will apply for 100s of jobs, everyone does, so just keep doing it and with luck you may get work soon.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by KT06
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post my question as I'm not a student anymore , but any advice or info would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance - I'm a uni graduate and have been constantly rejected from job offers even if there is little skill or qualification requirements . I've been struggling to find work - so classified as long term unemployed, because of this gap on my CV I thought of taking any jobs such as retail and warehousing etc. However I'm getting constant job rejections and it is eating up my confidence aswell making me feel depressed. I'm thinking if I can't even get into jobs that require lower skills or qualifications what is the chance of me getting other jobs? It's not like I have no work experience at all, been told before I am multiskilled and my CV is ok....but the fact is I am currently unemployed and struggling to find work. Also have been advised to move out to places where there are more job opportunities. However if I can't get anything now ,how am I going to survive elsewhere? PLUS the grade I got from uni was low - Bsc Logistics 3rd.

Hi there,

Your post describes a position a lot of uni graduates find themselves in and you have been given some good constructive advice in this thread already.

Firstly your CV You need to have a CV that is a stand out from the crowd CV not just OK. Your CV is a like a mini advert where you get the opportunity to sell yourself to an employer and show why you are the best candidate for the job. You also need to tailor your CV for the jobs you are apply for, if you submit the same CV over and over again you will fall short. When you apply for a job look at the job spec and pick out the key/buzz words and make sure you demonstrate you have the skills they are looking for somewhere in your CV/Application.

I would also advise that you look at getting yourself registered with some local recruitment agencies as they generally tend to find employment for you fairly quickly. You can find a list of local recruitment agencies here:

https://www.reed.co.uk/recruiterdirectory/agencies

Finally, as you are out of work it is important to keep you skills sharp even the basic ones like teamwork and communication and keep building upon your CV. You can do this through volunteering in your local area. I know this is unpaid but, it’s further experience and it’s something you can do whilst looking for employment and will keep your CV up to date.

If you would like further support, you can chat to a careers adviser through our website -

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/contact-us/home

If you’re 19+ (which I am assuming you are as a graduate) you can call us and book a free local appointment on 0800 100 900.

I really hope that this helps and we are here on TSR to help you further at any time.

Thanks Sophie.
Reply 27
Original post by Insecable
Why did you get a 3rd? Were there mitigating circumstances? You could also getting a diploma or some other tangible qualification that might help (along with what other posters have already suggested).

I'm not sure if I'm making excuses for a low grade - but there were some situations which I though was awkward. Firstly the course was hard(at least I thought it was) ,students in the course just wanted A degree and get a job out of it. This sounds ridiculous but even as a young adult I felt I was being slightly bullied sometimes - ignored and outcasted by peers aswell as receiving uncomfortable remarks even from lecturers... This lead to me befriending people outside uni or even not in uni...though I do not think is necessary a factor.
Some changes in the family but nothing too serious such as death or serious illness of some close.
Aside from a degree I've got certificates in Chinese (Cantonese and conversational Mandarin) and basic computer programming. I'm not sure if these are even worth anything anymore?
Sorry for the long email or going off the subject. I just never tried to think much of it since firstly low grades are nothing to be happy about and I did not want to use it as a excuse to keep going.
Reply 28
Original post by Purdy7
Welcome to the job searching process. It's basically the wrong time of year to find work, here's the science bit:

Jan/Febr/Mar - all Xmas temps are now out of work, plus everyone doesn't want to leave their jobs due to the debt built up over Christmas

Apr/May - No on wants to leave their job because of Easter and paying for holidays.

Jun/Jul - Everyone is on said holidays, You maybe able to get seasonal work.

Aug/Sept - Everyone is on holiday or preparing for kids to go back to school.

Oct/Nov - the main time to find work BUT so are all the students looking for part time work for term time and Christmas

Dec- No one wants to leave their jobs due to Xmas, bit you can pick up temping retail work.

and so the vicious cycle continues. You will apply for 100s of jobs, everyone does, so just keep doing it and with luck you may get work soon.

Hi , thanks for the info, guess I'm in the period where it's a bad time to look for work...but yes will keep applying
Original post by KT06
Thanks your detailed advice and info, I guessing I'm going have to revamp my CVs and cover letters again..

No worries.

I know it is really frustrating, I applied for hundreds of jobs (to the point I could recognise when the default rejection letter template got modified). It really ate me up, it took me 18 months to find a job vaguely tied to what I studied, I got turned down for volunteer roles, then literally the first interview I got, I got the job.

Almost everyone is in the same boat as you, the amount of degrees that lead straight into work is very small and most unis do not prepare you for the job market. From your posts, you've got legitimately marketable skills, your luck will shift.
Original post by KT06
Hi,I will try, main problem is even they are struggling atm....and they are having to rely on family for help whether it's for a job or the financial side of things. But thanks, making new social contacts may help boost my chances out there.

Good luck! and never give up hope. It took me a while to get a job, but you will get one x
Reply 31
Original post by Gwilym101
No worries.

I know it is really frustrating, I applied for hundreds of jobs (to the point I could recognise when the default rejection letter template got modified). It really ate me up, it took me 18 months to find a job vaguely tied to what I studied, I got turned down for volunteer roles, then literally the first interview I got, I got the job.

Almost everyone is in the same boat as you, the amount of degrees that lead straight into work is very small and most unis do not prepare you for the job market. From your posts, you've got legitimately marketable skills, your luck will shift.

Hi , thanks again, good to hear you're out of it, hopefully I will be in the same boat as you soon too. Good Luck for everything
Reply 32
Original post by chano
Good luck! and never give up hope. It took me a while to get a job, but you will get one x

Thanks again! hopefully I 'll be on the same boat as you soon .. Best of luck with you too for everything! x
Reply 33
Original post by beefree
I highly recommend doing some sort of Voluntary work, it is a great way to get to get into an organisation, develop new skills and build confidence.

Thanks, will concerntrate more on volunteering work available
Remember to over-inflate your CV , especially if you have minor skills that arent related to the job that youll be doing , make those minor skills major
Also put in a lot of buzzwords like "strong interpersonal skills" , "time-management skills" "service oriented behaviour" and the rest that i cant remember.
Original post by dreamerEU
Remember to over-inflate your CV , especially if you have minor skills that arent related to the job that youll be doing , make those minor skills major
Also put in a lot of buzzwords like "strong interpersonal skills" , "time-management skills" "service oriented behaviour" and the rest that i cant remember.

This is bad advice. Don't just throw in a load of buzzwords because they are meaningless unless you back them up with evidence. Anyone idiot can claim to have strong interpersonal skills you need to give examples that demonstrate them.
Original post by Student-95
This is bad advice. Don't just throw in a load of buzzwords because they are meaningless unless you back them up with evidence. Anyone idiot can claim to have strong interpersonal skills you need to give examples that demonstrate them.

Yes, yes but also any idiot can demonstrate basic social skills & courtesy, all of these buzzwords mean this, and there's a lot of em
Original post by dreamerEU
Yes, yes but also any idiot can demonstrate basic social skills & courtesy, all of these buzzwords mean this, and there's a lot of em

No idea what you tried to say.
I've been rejected by McDonald after two interviews, Hollywood bowl and by KFC, even though I have 5 8s and 9s and 5 7s.

Personally, I think there are three main reasons that a 16 - 18 year old isn't in a very good position when it comes to getting jobs

1) Lack of hours/flexibility
Because of your requirements at college/university, you won't be able to do that many hours, and they aren't able to just call you in when they need you. This is the reason you see college/school dropouts at the likes of McDonalds, because they can be called in whenever they're needed, whereas you might be unable to due to study commitments.

2) Overqualified
If you have good A levels or high GCSE grades, the employer will know that you will have college commitments, but also that you might think it is going to be a breeze, and something you reluctantly do to get money, which could lead to an attitude problem. Whereas a college dropout might see it as something more serious, as he/she might not have the qualifications to go on to anything better.

3) Job security
This kind of links to my last point. Due to future aspirations, the employer could be aware that you are going on to bigger things, therefore, you're probably going to leave in the next few years. Therefore, they will want someone who genuinely has a future in that company, so they might reject you on that basis.

Honestly, don't be worried. I got rejected by that McDonalds TWICE and they are still advertising THE SAME JOB. Plus, I went in there a couple weeks ago and it was all over the place in the kitchen.

So don't be disheartened if you get rejected. They're not good enough for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending