The Student Room Group

my friend says my uni is for dumb people

Scroll to see replies

Ignore your friend's comments, he sounds stupid and silly.

People who are very clever sometimes don't go to good, higher ranked universities.
Original post by Analyst89
Ignore your friend's comments, he sounds stupid and silly.

People who are very clever sometimes don't go to good, higher ranked universities.

that doesn't help, it basically means that Birkbeck is bad. I thought it's good at first, for someone who works but now I'm just doubting everything....
Birbeck is a great university!
Original post by Harriso1
Birbeck is a great university!

Where do you study/going to study? And what makes you say so? I'm not doing this to say it's not now, because after all it's great to study and work hard at uni no matter where, but I just need some reassurance
Original post by Anonymous
Where do you study/going to study? And what makes you say so? I'm not doing this to say it's not now, because after all it's great to study and work hard at uni no matter where, but I just need some reassurance

Just google it fam, like seriously
My friend got into UCL and I chose Birkbeck University of London (simply because it's evening classes and I have to work full time so that I can live in London). He started making fun of me that Birkbeck is for dumb people who can't get anywhere else. I could get anywhere I wanted, I know that, I just know that it would be hard to live in London, work part time and still have enough money to visit family or do anything for fun. I really think Birkbeck is a good uni, after all it's part of University of London? Now I don't know if it was a good choice if I shouldn't have gone somewhere else and just try to balance work/study somehow, I mean others do it why couldn't I?

Your friend isn't your friend if he says something like that.
Just google it fam, like seriously

I know lol, after all before applying and choosing it over any other uni I did my research but the course and that it's an evening school won. still got an uneasy feeling that it's a bad choice
You're friend sounds like an ass!
I know lol, after all before applying and choosing it over any other uni I did my research but the course and that it's an evening school won. still got an uneasy feeling that it's a bad choice

Your friends being a **** mate, don't concern yourself
Your friends being a **** mate, don't concern yourself

that i know but what was said cannot be unsaid. i felt like, well i got in, it's all over now, it's just one year (postgrad) but now idk. thanks anyway
that i know but what was said cannot be unsaid. i felt like, well i got in, it's all over now, it's just one year (postgrad) but now idk. thanks anyway

Look at other options if you very concerned but it'll most likely pass.
Look at other options if you very concerned but it'll most likely pass.

oh i hope so! been looking at other options but there's always something i don't like about the course, uni itself etc. well anyway, i hope it'll pass
Reply 92

As has been said many times, it's an excellent choice especially for you where you can keep a job and study at the same time. Future employers are not in the slightest concerned by Birkbeck on a CV, if anything it's a plus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
As has been said many times, it's an excellent choice especially for you where you can keep a job and study at the same time. Future employers are not in the slightest concerned by Birkbeck on a CV, if anything it's a plus.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you, you the best man

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok I have a little question, I'm so sorry to be a bother but I'm an international student and I got loads of question and you seem like a go to guy. So it's about experience. I won't be doing any kind of career doing my study there, I'll be working at my friends restaurant to meet ends but I was wondering, if I want to get experience there are internships/apprenticeship that I can apply to, right? Is that what you mean by good CV? Because obviously no one will be excited to hire someone like me - international undergraduate with MSc from Birkbeck and the only experience is fast food and bars. So that means that in the mean time I should work part time and do internships and such?
Reply 95
Ok I have a little question, I'm so sorry to be a bother but I'm an international student and I got loads of question and you seem like a go to guy. So it's about experience. I won't be doing any kind of career doing my study there, I'll be working at my friends restaurant to meet ends but I was wondering, if I want to get experience there are internships/apprenticeship that I can apply to, right? Is that what you mean by good CV? Because obviously no one will be excited to hire someone like me - international undergraduate with MSc from Birkbeck and the only experience is fast food and bars. So that means that in the mean time I should work part time and do internships and such?

Most people do internships before or after a masters not during it.

Apprenticeships aren't appropriate - they are full-time jobs generally for people without a degree.

It might be worth contacting Birkbeck's careers team and asking what they advise. They might not be able to do much until you enroll but it's worth trying...
http://www.bbk.ac.uk/student-services/careers-service/

Hold on, if you are international are you travelling on a student visa?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Most people do internships before or after a masters not during it.

Apprenticeships aren't appropriate - they are full-time jobs generally for people without a degree.

It might be worth contacting Birkbeck's careers team and asking what they advise. They might not be able to do much until you enroll but it's worth trying...
http://www.bbk.ac.uk/student-services/careers-service/

Hold on, if you are international are you travelling on a student visa?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I meant international as an EU national, sorry for the confusion. I already checked Birkbeck's careers info and I'll definitely ask around a bit and try to get as much from my year there as possible.
My friend got into UCL and I chose Birkbeck University of London (simply because it's evening classes and I have to work full time so that I can live in London). He started making fun of me that Birkbeck is for dumb people who can't get anywhere else. I could get anywhere I wanted, I know that, I just know that it would be hard to live in London, work part time and still have enough money to visit family or do anything for fun. I really think Birkbeck is a good uni, after all it's part of University of London? Now I don't know if it was a good choice if I shouldn't have gone somewhere else and just try to balance work/study somehow, I mean others do it why couldn't I?

honey, if this person was really your friend they would support you not mock you, honestly tell this dude to get a life- your doing amazing, managing both a job and studying; anyone else would be proud
Reply 98
I did a master's later at Birkbeck whilst employed. I don't know about the undergraduate segment of the student body, but at postgraduate level it is typically mature students working to some degree or another. There were a few Oxbridge graduates in my class actually. I don't think it's possible to rank it in the same way as over places as it serves a specific market niche.
boiii get new friends lol do what you want, especially if it's the best thing to do in your situation

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending