The Student Room Group

Students marching on Washington for gun control

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43105701

Florida students are planning to march on Washington.

"To every politician who is taking donations from the NRA - shame on you!" - Emma Gonzalez, who lay on the floor taking cover during the massacre.

There is a definite wave against the public sale of these deadly weapons, the sole purpose of which can only be to either intimidate or murder human beings. The sole motivation of their sellers is profit and the politicians are doing nothing. Trump is blaming everyone but the NRA-funded Republicans who block change in the Congress.

"We are losing our lives while the adults are playing around," - Cameron Kasky, another survivor of the massacre.

Let's give these students every support we can. :five:
Very positive to see - I hope it amounts to something, though sadly I don't expect it to for some time yet.
Reply 2
Original post by shadowdweller
Very positive to see - I hope it amounts to something, though sadly I don't expect it to for some time yet.

Whilst the Republicans are in power nothing is going to change. Any new gun legislation would be shot down by Congress in a split second, and in the unlikely event any did get through the supreme court would probably just throw it out again. So long as the 2nd amendment stands no proper reform can be done, and the GOP would never dare touch the constitution in a billion years.
Original post by Dez
Whilst the Republicans are in power nothing is going to change. Any new gun legislation would be shot down by Congress in a split second, and in the unlikely event any did get through the supreme court would probably just throw it out again. So long as the 2nd amendment stands no proper reform can be done, and the GOP would never dare touch the constitution in a billion years.

The 2nd ammendment is such a croc - any fool can see it referenced a war with Britain and not the supply of heavy weaponry to civilians so that they can work out their personality disorders on each other. What a bizarre court and public process America has.
Food for them but wont achieve anything unless it was millions and all schools stopped. Unless they felt it would cost them signifiant votes, then they will easily ignore, but express weasel sympathy. You would need one of these school shootings every 1-3 weeks for them to take notice.

Focus has been diverted onto mentally ill people and blaming the FBI.
Reply 5
Original post by Fullofsurprises
The 2nd ammendment is such a croc - any fool can see it referenced a war with Britain and not the supply of heavy weaponry to civilians so that they can work out their personality disorders on each other. What a bizarre court and public process America has.

Quite so, and yet it's held sacred. Any party that tries to touch the constitution would be crucified by the media. It's basically a religion at this point I think.
That great, but protests are never taken seriously though so it really is just a waste.
Original post by Dez
Quite so, and yet it's held sacred. Any party that tries to touch the constitution would be crucified by the media. It's basically a religion at this point I think.

:yep:

And like quite a few religions, it costs thousands of lives.
Original post by goggleyed
That great, but protests are never taken seriously though so it really is just a waste.

Trump has already had to bend slightly in the teeth of the protests, he is now offering increased controls.

Just to illustrate the power of protest (especially sustained protest), during the Vietnam War, President Johnson was urged at a meeting by his generals to nuke N. Vietnam. Johnson replied "I could and five minutes after I gave the order, I would be hung up by the demonstrators outside the White House."
Original post by copycat321
Do you regard the media lying to you as something positive?

Frankly if it leads to tighter gun control in America, I'd still see this as positive if it were to turn out to be a lie.
Guys offering 'thoughts and prayers' and no action while they go to school worrying if today is the day they'll get massacred.

Fair play to them :cool:
Original post by copycat321
Half of what you see on TV is a lie. There is no independent or investigative journalism. There are only 6 mainstream news corporations in America, and they all get their news from the same source.

Which is why people turn to Twitter and Facebook for news, where the news is provided by.... the Kremlin.
So this is a thing.

Public mass murder and the reaction is outrage, screaming, crying and demands for immediate action and that civil rights are secondary to protecting life.

Strange how the reaction in Europe is the opposite- that the correct response is a hashtag, a Facebook filter, prayer and immediate focus on preventing backlash and preserving civil rights at all costs.
Reply 13
Original post by Trinculo
So this is a thing.

Public mass murder and the reaction is outrage, screaming, crying and demands for immediate action and that civil rights are secondary to protecting life.

Strange how the reaction in Europe is the opposite- that the correct response is a hashtag, a Facebook filter, prayer and immediate focus on preventing backlash and preserving civil rights at all costs.

Well the main difference is that in Europe we don't recognise ownership of a deadly weapon for no purpose other than to kill or threaten other humans to be a "civil right".
Original post by Dez
Well the main difference is that in Europe we don't recognise ownership of a deadly weapon for no purpose other than to kill or threaten other humans to be a "civil right".

It doesn't matter what we do, or some other European states do. That's irrelevant. The fact is that the US has a Constitutional right to these weapons. Do you believe that the safety of the public (from mass murder) is more important than the preservation of the civil liberties of the overwhelming majority of gun owners who are not murderers?

Moreover, the issue is the tone and themes of the climate - it's all about anger, and demands and "with us or against us", "blood on hands". Is this the way to go about things?
Reply 15
It doesn't matter what we do, or some other European states do. That's irrelevant. The fact is that the US has a Constitutional right to these weapons. Do you believe that the safety of the public (from mass murder) is more important than the preservation of the civil liberties of the overwhelming majority of gun owners who are not murderers?

False dichtonomy. It's entirely possible to have a system where guns can be legally owned for valid purposes (such as sporting activity), without simply letting everyone have access to them based on outdated ideology and misguided ideals of individualism.

Moreover, the issue is the tone and themes of the climate - it's all about anger, and demands and "with us or against us", "blood on hands". Is this the way to go about things?

Probably not, no. I can understand why people are angry about this, especially those who were close to the many victims of gun violence. I agree that it doesn't help to foster a "us vs them" situation; the only way forward, if there even is a way forward, is compromise.
I certainly wish them well but I can't see the GOP, especially under President Trump, creating any kind of meaningful firearms regulation legislation. Their supporter base & the NRA are just to entrenched on this issue.

President Obama couldn't even get meaningful reform after the Sandy Hook incident.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending