The Student Room Group

how do apprenticeships work?

Im very confused as to how they work and ive got a few questions.

-do i need to have a college as well as an apprenticeship? ive heard that you study one day per week idk whether its at work or what so i could use some help.

-anyone who did an apprenticeship can you explain what you did/how you applied?

-Is car mechanic a good apprenticeship to go for and if so anyone who has done it can you explain your process of joining and what you did/are doing throughout the course?
Reply 1
Original post by Gabe_H

-do i need to have a college as well as an apprenticeship? ive heard that you study one day per week idk whether its at work or what so i could use some help.

-Is car mechanic a good apprenticeship to go for and if so anyone who has done it can you explain your process of joining and what you did/are doing throughout the course?

You apply for the apprenticeship, the college/training provider and employer will be dictated by the apprenticeship you apply for.

Mine's with JLR, so I applied directly to them as is the case with a lot of other big schemes, others you apply to a training provider and they find you an employer.

I'd assume a mechanics job would be a very practically orientated course, with very little classroom work.
Original post by Gabe_H

Hi there,

Apprenticeships are a form of work based training, you spend the majority of your time with an employer and then one or two days release at a local college or training provider to study towards a relevant qualification.

Sometimes colleges offer apprenticeships where you spend blocks of time (normally 2 weeks) with the college and the employer.

A great place to start with applying for apprenticeships is the National Apprenticeship Service which is the Government organisation for apprenticeships. You can register for free, start searching for vacancies and make applications online, I have provided you a link below:

https://www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship

I can't personally answer your final question regarding a car mechanic apprenticeship however a lot of mechanics enter the profession this way and it can be a great way to train, learn the skills, get the qualifications all whilst getting paid.

The National Careers Service is available on TSR any time if you have further questions.

I hope this helps.

Thanks - Sophie.
Reply 3
Really thinking about doing an apprenticehsip, so many people have said its a good way to learn and still get paid. Which helps!
Original post by Charl_00
Really thinking about doing an apprenticehsip, so many people have said its a good way to learn and still get paid. Which helps!

We're live on TSR to help if you would like to discuss apprenticeships as an option for you.

You can also discuss this in confidence with our service on 0800 100 900 or chat to an adviser one-on-one through our website -

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/

Thanks - Sophie.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending