The Student Room Group

Why do women who wear makeup get shamed?

Why do girls who wear a lot of makeup get classed as bimbo's, easy to get, stupid, attention seeker etc.
And why is it that it's other girls that mainly think this.
We should be empowering each other not degrading one another.
Personally, I don't wear a lot but I feel like people look down at girls who do...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheEnchantress
Why do girls who wear a lot of makeup get classed as bimbo's, easy to get, stupid, attention seeker etc.
Personally, I don't wear a lot but I feel like people look down at girls who do...

Cause humans suck. People who, for example, wear lots of makeup, stand out, and when someone stands out they get talked about.
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
Cause humans suck. People who, for example, wear lots of makeup, stand out, and when someone stands out they get talked about.

That is so true. I just find it upsetting the fact that, to make yourself feel better, you would put others down. We need support one another regardless of whether or not we wear makeup or not. But I guess others feel the need to belittle people :frown:.
Reply 3
I put it down to ignorance, people who don’t wear it don’t get how fun makeup is! A lot of guys who complain about girls who “cake on makeup” couldn’t tell you which girls are wearing it or not.

A guy I work with was talking sh*t about girls who draw on their eyebrows and I was like “I have drawn on eyebrows” and it blew his mind. Known him for three years and he had no clue.

Also once had senior management ask me “how do you get your eyelashes like that” when I had winged eyeliner on.... :facepalm:

I hate when girls brag about not wearing makeup and the whole “i’m not like other girls” trope. Basically just want to act complain about girls so they’re accepted by boys. Thinking you’re superior for not wearing foundation is ridiculous imo.
Makeup is right where the money is
Original post by cat_mac
I hate when girls brag about not wearing makeup and the whole “i’m not like other girls” trope. Basically just want to act complain about girls so they’re accepted by boys. Thinking you’re superior for not wearing foundation is ridiculous imo.

Speaking as someone who doesn't wear makeup - yes! "I'm not like other girls" is SO much ********.

I don't wear makeup because I don't like how it feels and so could never be bothered to put in the time/effort to become competent - but my personal choices aren't in any way better than anyone else's. If you like make up then that's brilliant :yes:

don't ever compliment me by insulting other women that's not a compliment, it's a competition none of us agreed to
https://twitter.com/jaythenerdkid/status/442781542134198272?lang=en
Reply 6

I think it’s the idea that girls are wearing make up to hide their true appearance and **** like that. Tbh, even though I don’t wear much makeup, I do appreciate it like art.
Original post by cat_mac
I put it down to ignorance, people who don’t wear it don’t get how fun makeup is! A lot of guys who complain about girls who “cake on makeup” couldn’t tell you which girls are wearing it or not.

A guy I work with was talking sh*t about girls who draw on their eyebrows and I was like “I have drawn on eyebrows” and it blew his mind. Known him for three years and he had no clue.

Also once had senior management ask me “how do you get your eyelashes like that” when I had winged eyeliner on.... :facepalm:

I couldn't have worded it better. I love makeup and when I wear it, it brings out my artistic side as I love playing with eyeshadow colours and I love how a lipstick shade could change the whole vibe of the look. When I do a full face, it doesn't make me any less of a person or self conscious and when I am more natural I am not above anyone or more confident. People need to learn to respect peoples choices even if they aren't the same as yours.
The real reason I made this post was in response to another OP's post about what men would want to look like if they were a female or something. A lot of people on that post were belittling that women with makeup on so much and OP's comments about her being mean, rich, stuck up etc didnt help. And in my opinion I don't think guys should really have a say in whether a woman wears too much or too little makeup as they don't even understand 90% of it.
(Sorry for the rant)
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
I laugh when girls who are clearly wearing loads of make up, make fun of someone else appearance. Go and cover all your insecurities and take the piss out of others?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by PQ
Speaking as someone who doesn't wear makeup - yes! "I'm not like other girls" is SO much ********.

I don't wear makeup because I don't like how it feels and so could never be bothered to put in the time/effort to become competent - but my personal choices aren't in any way better than anyone else's. If you like make up then that's brilliant :yes:

don't ever compliment me by insulting other women that's not a compliment, it's a competition none of us agreed to
https://twitter.com/jaythenerdkid/status/442781542134198272?lang=en

Love that sentence, I'm gonna have to steal it :tongue:

Original post by regina_tay
I think it’s the idea that girls are wearing make up to hide their true appearance and **** like that. Tbh, even though I don’t wear much makeup, I do appreciate it like art.

Yeah I get what you mean but when girls take of their makeup they are extremely beautiful anyway. Makeup just allows them to 'enhance' their beauty. This outdated view that you must be self consious thats why you wear makeup needs to go away as thats basically someone telling another human being that you must have flaws that why you wear makeup x
Love that sentence, I'm gonna have to steal it :tongue:

Credit Jay - so many people have nicked it without attribution and put it on posters/t shirts :mad:
Original post by Fasih123
Makeup is right where the money is

Your technically right. Thats how the owners of makeup brands are billonaires.

Original post by jdddd
I laugh when girls who are clearly wearing loads of make up, make fun of someone else appearance. Go and cover all your insecurities and take the piss out of others?

???
Girls who wear makeup shouldn't make girls who don't feel inferior
Girls who don't wear makeup shouldn't make girls who do wear makeup feel inferior
Because those that shame are munters
Original post by PQ
Credit Jay - so many people have nicked it without attribution and put it on posters/t shirts :mad:

Don't worry I'll give credit where it's due :h:
I think there needs to be a seperate thread made on this issue :biggrin: :wink:
Original post by SMEGGGY
Because those that shame are munters

Too right :smile:
BTW what does munters mean :blushing:

Mongs

A munter is an ugly woman so by co signing that post you're kind of shaming women yourself.

I have to say I am not really aware of this problem of 'shaming' women who wear make up.

I guess if you're caked in it ala Homer Simpson's make up gun then yeah, also so much fake tan you look orange.

I would say the reason is because people think it looks bad.
Because a lot of them act like they're better than you yet they're covering themselves. It's a stereotype that comes with caking so much on your face.
The truth is make up is a business. There are girls who like to wear it. But there are also those who are forced or pressured to wear it. I saw an interview with Toff yesterday the I'm a celebrity winner. She even said that she has imperfections referring to her acne. She said that we as a society do not see imperfections as beautiful. Which is spot on.

Same how many people view beauty as having fair skin or being a Slim figure. It is sad that when girls who are curvy and not seen as Slim are shamed all the time. It's as if they can't be beautiful. Same with black models magazines try and lighten their skin in pics which isn't a true representation of themselves..
Original post by Wilfred Little
A munter is an ugly woman so by co signing that post you're kind of shaming women yourself.

I have to say I am not really aware of this problem of 'shaming' women who wear make up.

I guess if you're caked in it ala Homer Simpson's make up gun then yeah, also so much fake tan you look orange.

I would say the reason is because people think it looks bad.

First of all, I didn't know the meaning of the world. I asked him and then I searched it up myself and I realised what it meant.
I don't understand in which way I am shaming women when I was not the one that said it.
Your belief is that if you 'co-sign yourself to a post' (I don't know how one does that in the first place) you agree with the other persons' sentiments.
So if someone was having a debate with him they are still agreeing with what he is saying as they are 'co-signing themselves with the post'. That is pretty pathetic.
Just because you aren't aware of something, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
As you conclude your post, it is clear that the only reason you aren't aware of it is because your part of the problem. If they put on a lot of faketan, what is it to you? They obviously knew what the end result would be and wanted that so if they are happy why does it concern anyone else. Its not like your paying for their fake tans... Also if they want to be 'caked' in makeup they can. Like I said before if it makes them happy whats the problem.
And if this isn't shaming women for wearing makeup and doing what makes THEM happy, then I don't know what is.
Also, before I was going to respond to his post but I seen yours. I was going to respond to him with this:
"Don't ever compliment me by insulting other women, that's not a compliment it's a competition none of us agreed to"- Jay.
The whole purpose of this thread was to bring light to an issue people don't want to address. It's to empower every women and remind her that as long as she's happy no one can bring her down. It's to remind everyone that regardless if you wear makeup or not, your beautiful and you shouldn't let people tell you otherwise and we are ALL women and ALL of us have feelings.
But I think you need this quote in your life more so take it :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest