The Student Room Group

Would you ever consider getting an electric car?

Would you ever consider getting one today, and why?

Scroll to see replies

I'd definitely consider something like a Tesla. I would want to keep something that runs on dinosaur juice though, even if it was just as a toy.
Original post by CurlyBen
I'd definitely consider something like a Tesla. I would want to keep something that runs on dinosaur juice though, even if it was just as a toy.

I'd get the Tesla as well, mainly for the cool stuff it can do like the self opening doors and autopilot, (and that acceleration :colone:)

I agree though, I'd still want a normal car... But my guess is that fuel prices and tax will be raised in the future, to make it harder for people to afford running normal cars.
I'd probably be interested if I researched about it.. Gotta get a normal car first hahah
If I did get one it would be a Tesla cos I'm a sucker for branding :tongue:
Original post by RoyalSheepy

If it's the Nissan leaf then why not?(Driven this before, it's great!)

Or even the BMW i3. 😁
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by MiszshorTea786
If it's the Nissan leaf then why not?(Driven this before, it's great!)

Or even the BMW i3. 😁

Not fond on them both tbh... It looks like the designers went a bit crazy with the i3 :laugh:

Spoiler

Right now, the electric car market is rather limited. There is the rather expensive E-Golf and the i3, while vaguely sporty, is both expensive and ugly. The Leaf and Zoe are half-decent but aren't exactly desirable. The Bolt supposedly gets pretty good range, but I don't think you can get then in the UK. As for Tesla, that's well out of reach of most people, and if you order a Model 3 now, you probably won't get it for several years, by which time Porsche, Jaguar and Volvo will probably have come in and ruined Tesla's party. Not to mention that battery technology is still rather poor as far as charging time goes. Give it 5-10 years and hopefully there will be more options out there.
Reply 8
I've looked at the Tesla P90DL, it's come down in price quite a lot but at the end of the day, there's 2 main issues stopping me buying one right now. One, unless I can charge it at home, I'm not going to bother fighting over 1-2 charging bays at the nearest supermarket and waiting a long time for it to charge, so supercharger at home would be the requirement.
Secondly, I can't get over how poor the interior is for the price of the car. The buttons on the steering wheel is awful. It's full of gimmicks, especially with that giant ipad but I'm sure it'd get old fast. That and as I'm driving I prefer to have more tactile controls than just one large distracting screen. I'm sure Tesla will open up a larger options menu and invest more in their interior once production numbers ramp up more but for the time being, no thanks

I'd be happy to make the transition to electric cars as soon as charging becomes convenient, fast and I don't have to fight for a charging bay. Some people can be parked for hours on end. They're all still in their early stages and there isn't a whole lot of choice right now. AMG has already started making hybrids, I hope it won't be long before they start releasing fully electrics.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Not fond on them both tbh... It looks like the designers went a bit crazy with the i3 :laugh:

Spoiler

You couldn't pay me enough to do that!
Nah, love the concept but none of the cars that I consider "my" size look good (we're talking slightly bigger than the Renault Zoe) and charging it drive me nuts, I have enough things to think about putting on charge. Also we have 10 bays at work and some idiot put them on the bottom floor so what do you think happens? Whoever gets there first parks there, electric or not.
I want one of these :love:

Look at the interior. And they've got vases so you can have flowers in yoru car with you :love:
Original post by TheMindGarage
Right now, the electric car market is rather limited. There is the rather expensive E-Golf and the i3, while vaguely sporty, is both expensive and ugly. The Leaf and Zoe are half-decent but aren't exactly desirable. The Bolt supposedly gets pretty good range, but I don't think you can get then in the UK. As for Tesla, that's well out of reach of most people, and if you order a Model 3 now, you probably won't get it for several years, by which time Porsche, Jaguar and Volvo will probably have come in and ruined Tesla's party. Not to mention that battery technology is still rather poor as far as charging time goes. Give it 5-10 years and hopefully there will be more options out there.

I agree
I'd absolutely get a Tesla.
Reply 14
Electric cars are certainly becoming more viable, the cost of "fueling" is certainly a bonus, with it being something like £5 to fully charge.

I'd buy a new one, but there's no second hand market for them unfortunately due to the longevity of the battery and then cost of replacing.
I'd consider a hybrid, but not a pure electric - I don't like being limited on range, I'd prefer to have the contingency of being able to do long runs.
Reply 16
Yes. The range isn't an issue for myself right now, I love the acceleration of them too. Last year I got the chance to quarter mile a p100d. So. Much. Fun. Zoommmmmmmmmies.

I'd get a Rimac concept one, they seem amazing
Anything to save the environment!
Original post by Drewski
I'd consider a hybrid, but not a pure electric - I don't like being limited on range, I'd prefer to have the contingency of being able to do long runs.

Hybrids do seem to be the way to go at present, although both the batteries and the infrastructure seem to be getting better all the time.

I worry about electric vehicles for their quietness - several times in London I've nearly done myself in stepping in front of Uber's ubiquitous Priuses. I would hate to injure someone driving one because they simply hadn't heard it coming.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending