The Student Room Group

Why do women who wear makeup get shamed?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheEnchantress
First of all, I didn't know the meaning of the world. I asked him and then I searched it up myself and I realised what it meant.
I don't understand in which way I am shaming women when I was not the one that said it.

He said women 'shame' make up wearers because they are ugly women. You agreed with that post. Hence shaming women yourself.

Just because you aren't aware of something, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
As you conclude your post, it is clear that the only reason you aren't aware of it is because your part of the problem. If they put on a lot of faketan, what is it to you? They obviously knew what the end result would be and wanted that so if they are happy why does it concern anyone else. Its not like your paying for their fake tans... Also if they want to be 'caked' in makeup they can. Like I said before if it makes them happy whats the problem.
And if this isn't shaming women for wearing makeup and doing what makes THEM happy, then I don't know what is.
Also, before I was going to respond to his post but I seen yours. I was going to respond to him with this:
"Don't ever compliment me by insulting other women, that's not a compliment it's a competition none of us agreed to"- Jay.
The whole purpose of this thread was to bring light to an issue people don't want to address. It's to empower every women and remind her that as long as she's happy no one can bring her down. It's to remind everyone that regardless if you wear makeup or not, your beautiful and you shouldn't let people tell you otherwise and we are ALL women and ALL of us have feelings.
But I think you need this quote in your life more so take it :smile:.

What an emotional rant about a complete non issue.

I didn't say it was 'anything' to me, going on like I want to make makeup illegal. You posted a thread asking why, I explained what I think the reason for it is.

Calm down.
Reply 21
Yeah I get what you mean but when girls take of their makeup they are extremely beautiful anyway. Makeup just allows them to 'enhance' their beauty. This outdated view that you must be self consious thats why you wear makeup needs to go away as thats basically someone telling another human being that you must have flaws that why you wear makeup x

I completely agree
Original post by ineedtorevise127
The truth is make up is a business. There are girls who like to wear it. But there are also those who are forced or pressured to wear it. I saw an interview with Toff yesterday the I'm a celebrity winner. She even said that she has imperfections referring to her acne. She said that we as a society do not see imperfections as beautiful. Which is spot on.

Same how many people view beauty as having fair skin or being a Slim figure. It is sad that when girls who are curvy and not seen as Slim are shamed all the time. It's as if they can't be beautiful. Same with black models magazines try and lighten their skin in pics which isn't a true representation of themselves..

Your right. I believe we need to change our perception of beautiful. Instead of following societies view of perfection, each should follow their own and in that learn to love themselves. Everyone is beautiful and unique and we should celebrate that.
But if were giving women freedom of deciding what's beautiful in their eyes we should except that shaming them for wearing makeup isn't giving them freedom (not directed at you) xx
Original post by Wilfred Little
He said women 'shame' make up wearers because they are ugly women. You agreed with that post. Hence shaming women yourself.

What an emotional rant about a complete non issue.

I didn't say it was 'anything' to me, going on like I want to make makeup illegal. You posted a thread asking why, I explained what I think the reason for it is.

Calm down.

When I responded to his comments I didn't know what it meant. I'm sorry, I made an honest mistake.
This thread was made to support women, empower them and to encourage them to ignore what people say. It's made so us women stick together, regardless if were wearing makeup or not. I made it because there is a difference in reactions when I wear makeup and when I don't and that shouldn't be the case. If you think that it is still a non issue that is your opinion, which your entitled to.
Well you were mentioning your opinions such as 'too much tan makes you look orange' 'caked in it' so it has got something to do with you.
And I was just explaining my views to you.
:h: :h: :h:
When I responded to his comments I didn't know what it meant. I'm sorry, I made an honest mistake.
This thread was made to support women, empower them and to encourage them to ignore what people say. It's made so us women stick together, regardless if were wearing makeup or not. I made it because there is a difference in reactions when I wear makeup and when I don't and that shouldn't be the case. If you think that it is still a non issue that is your opinion, which your entitled to.
Well you were mentioning your opinions such as 'too much tan makes you look orange' 'caked in it' so it has got something to do with you.
And I was just explaining my views to you.
:h: :h: :h:

It's not 'shaming' anyone to say that too much fake tan makes you look orange.
It's not 'shaming' anyone to say that too much fake tan makes you look orange.

But, it's nothing got to do with you what their skin colour looks like.
Listen, were never gonna agree so let's just agree to disagree.
But, it's nothing got to do with you what their skin colour looks like.

Stop taking it personally.

I'm not trying to enforce fake tan rules on people.
Stop taking it personally.

I'm not trying to enforce fake tan rules on people.

When did I say you are
Stop derailing my thread.
Why do girls who wear a lot of makeup get classed as bimbo's, easy to get, stupid, attention seeker etc.
And why is it that it's other girls that mainly think this.
We should be empowering each other not degrading one another.
Personally, I don't wear a lot but I feel like people look down at girls who do...

Tbh girls who wear a lot of make-up also judge girls who don't 'try as hard' and wear make-up.
Original post by GreenBell
Tbh girls who wear a lot of make-up also judge girls who don't 'try as hard' and wear make-up.

Yeah, I understand that point of view but it's never them girls that get shamed its always the ones that don't shame others :s-smilie:
I feel judged because I wear minimal makeup. If I decide to wear my "full" amount as it were, it's primer, foundation, powder, mascara and some eyebrow stuff that doesn't fill my eyebrows in but makes them look more like they're there and occasionally some lipstick but rarely. I pick the skin off my lips every day and they bleed from it so I can't wear lip products very often.

I choose to not wear makeup everyday because I'm honestly just too lazy. But I feel judged when buying makeup if I'm not wearing any.
Yeah, I understand that point of view but it's never them girls that get shamed its always the ones that don't shame others :s-smilie:

I feel that girls who wear a lot of make up do act like that. Girls who wear a lot of make-up in a nice way, not looking blotchy and caked don't usually get called those names.

I think it's mainly girls because it's a girly thing to do and we're the only ones that notice a difference.
Original post by DrawTheLine
I feel judged because I wear minimal makeup. If I decide to wear my "full" amount as it were, it's primer, foundation, powder, mascara and some eyebrow stuff that doesn't fill my eyebrows in but makes them look more like they're there and occasionally some lipstick but rarely. I pick the skin off my lips every day and they bleed from it so I can't wear lip products very often.

I choose to not wear makeup everyday because I'm honestly just too lazy. But I feel judged when buying makeup if I'm not wearing any.

That's true. Make-up artists usually pay attention to girls wearing a lot of make-up compared to those who don't.

This is the main issue that I want to address: feeling inferior.
I know both ends of the spectrum face it.
I'm sorry you feel like that but just don't care what people think of you x (I know its easier said than done). I'm sure you are beautiful without makeup
Don't worry your not alone when buying makeup but not actually wearing makeup :biggrin:
This is the main issue that I want to address: feeling inferior.
I know both ends of the spectrum face it.
I'm sorry you feel like that but just don't care what people think of you x (I know its easier said than done). I'm sure you are beautiful without makeup
Don't worry your not alone when buying makeup but not actually wearing makeup :biggrin:

Doesn't help my nose is so oily it catches the light sometimes. No exaggeration, I once walked past a mirror and thought a light was on it was so shiny. That's the main reason I wear makeup especially at work, to try and reduce the oiliness with powder etc.
Doesn't help my nose is so oily it catches the light sometimes. No exaggeration, I once walked past a mirror and thought a light was on it was so shiny. That's the main reason I wear makeup especially at work, to try and reduce the oiliness with powder etc.

Ooooo I understand the pain of having oily skin x
Ooooo I understand the pain of having oily skin x

Do you have any remedies for making it less oily? I'm trying a moisturiser from Simple that is supposed to stop oiliness but it doesn't work.
Do you have any remedies for making it less oily? I'm trying a moisturiser fom Simple that is supposed to stop oiliness but it doesn't work.

I use lush angels on bare skin for my acne and my skins became less oily. However, I dont know if it became less oily because of this... :s-smilie:
Reply 38
I can't resist a woman in corpsepaint.

Quick Reply

Latest