The Student Room Group

Kidneys- Starling forces question?

I’m learning about Starling forces in the Glomerulus and Bowman’s capsule (and how they relate to Net Filtration Pressure), and am stuck on this question: ‘What is their origin? What causes them?’
I can’t seem to find the answer online. I know what they are (hydrostatic and oncotic pressure) but can’t figure out what causes them. Thanks in advance
Original post by KUO101
I’m learning about Starling forces in the Glomerulus and Bowman’s capsule (and how they relate to Net Filtration Pressure), and am stuck on this question: ‘What is their origin? What causes them?’
I can’t seem to find the answer online. I know what they are (hydrostatic and oncotic pressure) but can’t figure out what causes them. Thanks in advance

I mean, it's no different from a regular capillary in terms of fluid movement, BP pushes fluid out, oncotic pressure draws fluid back in.

That's a very simple way of looking at it, but it's a simple matter of BP being controlled by the afferent and efferent arterioles, and protein isn't filtered out by the kidneys (or any other capillaries for that matter), so the fluid filtration rate kinda depends solely on the glomerular capillary pressure (the so-called 'hydrostatic pressure')

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending